Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I had both done with locals. Right hand turned out good. Left was to far gone with nerve damage so it is about 75%.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had my left wrist fixed in 1978.

It was HOSED, and very screwed up,...forget sleeping well, and any real strength.

The tests where they hook ya' up like a laboratory frog and hit the juice were a bit weird, ...must say I did NOT like that part.

Tiny little incision, was WORKING WELL again in way less than a week.

My understanding is that a GOOD surgeon just slips in and relieves a ring of fascia in the joint, and closes things back up.

Chainsaws, Grinders, and repetitive motion / general overwork are one way that you win the CT prize.

I guess computer geeks, and cashiers suffer from it too.

If I had any problem with Carpal Tunnel I would go the surgical repair route NOW.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes, get it done. I had both mine done at the same time, several years ago. Hard to even remember now how painful life was before the surgery. My wife broke a wrist a few years back, and the guy who fixed it recommended CP on that wrist while he was in there, along with a metal plate he had to put in. Her CP was a lot less extensive than mine was - just a small slit, whereas mine where both the old "open" procedures, where they cut me up pretty good. I was told if I did not get something done, I might lose the use of both hands.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife had problems in both hands. She had the worst one done with the intention of doing the other at a later date. Her hand healed fine and the problems went away in her other hand. This was years ago and she has never had to have the second hand operated on.

Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
do know from what i learned from bulging a disk in my back that was pressing on a nerve, once the numbness becomes pretty constant you need to get it fixed sooner rather than later....longer the nerve is cut off the longer it takes to get back right and if it is cut off for to long you may never get it back.....our bodies are pretty much under the rule of "use it or lose it" and if you pinch a nerve and not allow it to be used it basically dies after awhile....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Had the right one done in 1991, the left in 2001. I was off work for about 10 days and then light duty for a while after that. The only thing I noticed was the incision site was sensitive to direct pressure for about a year.

Braces at night helped me to sleep but I couldn't grip the steering wheel etc without pain during the day.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Slept with a wrist brace for awhile, solved it for me.

Same here. I had a few manual labor jobs in a row that were very repetitive and hand unfriendly. I had issues with both hands so bad that I'd wake with numbness up to my elbows. Made it a real b!tch to shut off the alarm clock in the morning. Certain activities through the day would cause it to flare up, too.

I bought braces for both wrists and focused on keeping my hands flat and unclenched when I wasn't wearing the braces. I did some wrist tendon stretching exercises, too. The braces began helping a little almost immediately, but real relief too some time.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wow, glad to see it's not just me. Was afraid I was turning into a big Sissie or something... wink

The ONE thing that sets it off worse than others is the weed eater. Something about the vibrations of the thing hits just the right frequency, and my hands physically swell, like if I got a bee sting. Goes back to normal a couple hrs after.

Sounds like surgery worked for most, will call the Doc on Monday for an apt.

Originally Posted by kamo_gari
The worst discomfort and frustration from the affliction, that which ultimately led to my getting the thing done, was the numbness and shooting pain I felt while twisting the throttle on my bikes...

When I was riding, it killed my hands as well. Ended up have to use one of these [b][color:#3333FF]gay looking devices[/color][/b] to get any relief because the I just couldn't grip.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Aw man, that contraption ain't gay. Assuming you used your chin to bury the throttle...

wink

Good luck, friend. Nagging pain sucks.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by SamOlson
The one I used to know?

Yes, that one.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Had my right wrist done six years ago and now wish I hadn't waited over 20 years to fix it - results have been great. Just had my left wrist done less than two week's ago (chit, now I have to go back to work on Monday) - hoping for similar results...

Get it done - it's worth it (after fighting it most of my adult life).

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
before you get cut, give a good chiropractor a month or two to make sure your elbow and wrist are aligned correctly. I run a nail gun every day and my right side is a mess, but chiro keeps me functional without getting knifed. Worth a non invasive try first anyway.

Salmonhead
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by SamOlson
The one I used to know?

Yes, that one.

Hopefully that crazy fuucker is still alive, haven't kept in contact with any of my old concrete buddies.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Had an EMG test today to test the nerves and muscles in my hands and arms. Test consisted of multiple electric pulses, the worst of which was as hot as an electric fence. Luckily it was just a single pulse and not a continuous jolt.

The needle portion of the test was pretty easy, didn't feel much, until the Last poke of the test. That one goes into the middle of the big muscle below the thumb on the palm side. That one gets your attention real quick like...

Test showed Moderate Carpal Tunnel in both hands and an inflamed nerve in both elbows.

I know how they fix the Carpal Tunnel, anybody know how they fix the nerve at the elbow? Hope it's a simple rehab based solution....

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't know about fixing the nerve in the elbow, but during my recent left Carpal Tunnel release, I had a similar procedure done at the same time on my left elbow for tendonitis. The recovery is the same for both, so they like to do them at the same time. My elbow procedure added 5 minutes to the surgery with a 1/4" incision.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had my left wrist done on the 2nd. The right one a few years ago. The shots cut the inflammation but don't fix the problem.
My doctor use the 3M Agee endoscopic carpal tunnel release system. He makes one small incision in a skin crease on the wrist just below the hand. I had the surgery done on a Monday and the next Monday the ace bandage and gauze were removed and the external stitches removed. Very effective.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The surgery style that cut the hand open did have problems with scar tissue causing pressure on the carpal tunnel.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My wife had both wrists done about a month apart. Complete success from the surgery. She was miserable prior to it. Braces helped her sleep at night, but then they quit working. Went in for surgery and she could not be happier. Procedure took about 15-20 minutes for each wrist. BTW, she put off surgery for years and then thought she waited to long to get relief....

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I had the open incision on the heal of the hand on my right wrist six years ago. My recent one on the left was done with the endoscopic procedure. My surgeon explained it to me that with a milder case, he prefers endoscopic and for mere severe case, the open incision.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The wife had an uncle that use to work some place for a couple years them sue em for carpal tunnel. He'd get $20k and go live in Panama City Beach for a few months, suck umemployment

Then go get another job at some factory putting his 3 screws in the widget on the assembly line

Few months later.... Lather, rinse, repeat.

Pretty good racket for him coupled with food stamps and earned income credit.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,860 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,259
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.