-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This road/rail/ bridge chit has been around for years ,their are TV documentary's ,surveys, all kinds of info at the university and in our capital.... about this stuff (up here at least) ...funny how old news is news to the new media kids!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by FreeMe
...Except that completion didn't include actual pavement until much much later.

Much, MUCH later! grin I've traveled the AlCan seven times now, three times as a driver. The first two times in the 60's, the ONLY pavement was about a one mile stretch at Whitehorse, YT.

The last time I drove it, July '06, the only gravel sections were two road construction zones in BC, one for about five miles, the other about ten miles long.

At times, that old gravel road, treated with Calcium Chloride, was smoother and more pleasant to drive on than some of the pavement and a whole lot easier to maintain. Of course, the "shot rock" they used on most places was sharp as razors and would wear out tires at a crazy rate.

BTW, the AlCan (now called the Alaska Highway) was built primarily by the U.S. Army with assistance from the Canadian army in BC. It was built by two Engineer Battalions, one all white which started at Dawson Creek, BC, and an all-black Battalion which started from Tok, AK. Much like the trans-continental railway, they met in the middle.
You have to go up and see the terrain for yourself to appreciate what a monumental task those men (and women in support roles) did in just a few months.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i will need the extra large piss jug for that trip

My diploma is a DD214
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have traveled on Russian roads. Just like everything else in that schithole they suck.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by ironbender
Doc-
The Alcan was built at the beginning of WWII and was completer in 1942.

FWIW and reference.

Except that completion didn't include actual pavement until much much later.

I guess there are different concepts of "complete". I haven't driven it in a few years, though I've been over it a bunch.

In some parts they should stay with chip-seal and avoid pavement. Gravel is even easier to run a grader blade over.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Doc-
The Alcan was built at the beginning of WWII and was completer in 1942.

FWIW and reference.
My uncle was a combat engineer. He spent the 1st half of the war building that road. They shipped him to Europe just in time for the Battle of the Bulge.
It was built because of the Japs keeping house in the Aleutians. We needed some way to get equipment and men to AK in case they started making a push north.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Well, Putin might fix those problems for us... grin

Don't think that they haven't considered it. There are ice roads built and maintained every winter across Siberia, It's no big stretch for them to consider coming across.

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 03/26/15. Reason: kaint tipe, still

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Just the thing for an invasion force.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
I want the Pizza Hut franchise.

Dibs on two SUBWAY's on both sides of the Bering Strait bridge.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ringworm
I'm putting in a bid to salt the offramps.

What, maybe 3 of them?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I have traveled on Russian roads. Just like everything else in that schithole they suck.

mike r

That's why the MiG is so tough. It was designed knowing the Russians produce inferior concrete.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Idea been around for a long time, its a straight forward engineering job, it could be done all you need is three things the Will to do so a boat load of money and time, it would take a good thirty years to do, maybe longer! Not just a road for Cars and trucks but also for Rail, ( the Russians use a different gauge) and an oil and gas pipe line! Winter travel thru most of it would be how should I say interesting! And then besides the construction costs, the costs of keeping the whole thing in good repair! And all the other things you would need to make it work, fuel stations, places to eat, hotels and motels- repair garages, and finally for us English speakers- there is Russian one of the hardest languages in the world to learn, then there is institutional paranoia of the Russians, the Idea of freedom of movement is fairly new to them! It would be a job creator thou! As it is the traffic on the Alaska Highway even in Season if pretty light considering and long distances between fuel stops in some places, just think you are in your car, just fueled up and the next fuel stop is 200 miles away, its 65 deg below zero and other than you on the road not a soul around-makes for a boring dash cam video, never mind about keeping a car running and yourself warm enough! It would end up a seasonal road, like some of the roads in the Yukon, and in the end it would be to expensive to construct for that very reason! In other words not in our or children or grandchildren's life times!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.