Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9714784 03/26/15
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Can anyone experienced with them tell me the good and bad. I want to give one to my younger brother as a present. Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which one are you considering? Lots of different models and that will narrow down and improve the responses.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have owned two of their early Custom Royal Governments. No issues. Accurate.

As 4ager notes there are many models in the Kimber line up now so you need to get down to specifics.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO they are a well put together gun. I however am not a fan of their MIM internals nor their plastic main-spring housing. I have also not had a failure of any of these on my guns, but still not a fan.

With that said, I have liked the one's I have had. Currently have a Gold Combat. Smooth slide to frame, good fit, crisp trigger. I did replace the full length guide rod with a government setup from EGW and a Wolff spring. Now their current pricing puts them in direct competition with makes such as SIG, which I have heard many good things about. Or for a little more Dan Wesson, which I have a Guardian and a Valor. These are excellent guns as well without the "issue" of MIM parts.

Kimber is a well made gun, but I feel a little over-priced compared to current competition for what you get. YMMV

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I own several Kimbers. Mostly Custom Shop models. I also have a Super Pro Custom Shop Lightweight Commander that I carry nearly every day. Never had any problems with any of my Kimbers.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4ager
Which one are you considering? Lots of different models and that will narrow down and improve the responses.

I don't know if Kimber puts out a print catalogue or not. If it does, and if has a page devoted to each variation, it probably is the size of a phone book.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kimber has a really nice Catalog. You should be able to get one from any Kimber. Master Dealer, free of charge.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To the OP's question, I think a new Colt is more likely to work correctly out of the box. But if you like the Kimber model in question enough to justify some debugging, go for it.

I have a 10mm which I bought mainly due to the ramped barrel, and its ability to take hotter loads. It was fussy feeding with certain mags, though I eventually tuned the extractor to where it was much better. In fact I can't recall any malfunctions since the extractor tune. But it's a fun plinking/hunting pistol, not a defensive weapon.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I and all three of my daughters have Kimber .45s. No problems with any of them so far. All shoot great and have pretty decent triggers.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kimber makes a great 1911 and i have had one for years , part of that time i let my brother keep it, but took it back home when he went under. The hardest decision would be which one to buy , full size , commander or officer model or some call compact. I don't think you can go wrong with a Kimber 1911.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
To the OP's question, I think a new Colt is more likely to work correctly out of the box. But if you like the Kimber model in question enough to justify some debugging, go for it.

I have a 10mm which I bought mainly due to the ramped barrel, and its ability to take hotter loads. It was fussy feeding with certain mags, though I eventually tuned the extractor to where it was much better. In fact I can't recall any malfunctions since the extractor tune. But it's a fun plinking/hunting pistol, not a defensive weapon.

I guess I am looking at Kimber because they are high end handguns, not sure which model thinking full size 1911. Not liking the part of the plastic in it though. Colt and Springfield have crossed my mind. There is a kimber master dealer around the corner from me and he has a large amount of Springfields as well not sure about Colts

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the intended use target shooting or defensive use?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Mink
IMO they are a well put together gun. I however am not a fan of their MIM internals nor their plastic main-spring housing. I have also not had a failure of any of these on my guns, but still not a fan.

With that said, I have liked the one's I have had. Currently have a Gold Combat. Smooth slide to frame, good fit, crisp trigger. I did replace the full length guide rod with a government setup from EGW and a Wolff spring. Now their current pricing puts them in direct competition with makes such as SIG, which I have heard many good things about. Or for a little more Dan Wesson, which I have a Guardian and a Valor. These are excellent guns as well without the "issue" of MIM parts.

Kimber is a well made gun, but I feel a little over-priced compared to current competition for what you get. YMMV

I have an Eclipse Target II that's one of the most accurate handguns I've ever shot. Great for punching holes in paper, but if the intended use is self-defense/concealed carry, I'll cast another vote for the Dan Wesson Guardian. I'm quite fond of mine. Excellent pistol for the price.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mink

I had a Kimber Tactical Pro Series MIM mag catch literally crumble into the palm of my hand dumping the magazine on the ground while firing it on the range one day. I replaced that with an Ed Brown steel mag catch.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't know what your budget is.

I have to agree with the above posters that Colt, Springfield and CZ/Wesson are putting out some nice 1911's. Any of them I would choose over a Kimber.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

I would say more target shooting then defensive use since he has a ton of smaller carry guns . He has a ton of S&W and Ruger DA revolvers and Kahr,Beretta,Browning and Sig pistols but not a single stinking 1911 grin

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek

I have to agree with the above posters that Colt, Springfield and CZ/Wesson are putting out some nice 1911's. Any of them I would choose over a Kimber.

up to 1300 or so

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$1300 puts you firmly into Dan Wesson, upper-end SIG's and Springfields as well. I would also not rule out S&W's offerrings as I have heard many good things about them. For that money I would choose the following in order:

1. Dan Wesson
2. Sig
3. Springfield or S&W
4. Colt or Kimber

Nothing against the Colt's but IMO they rely a bit too much on name and less so on features and F&F. Again YMMV.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek

up to 1300 or so

If you are willing to spend a bit more, Les Baer is a big step up in quality and performance, otherwise,
here is a good overview of the various 1911 manufacturers:

https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/buyers-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts.511/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I would say more target shooting then defensive use since he has a ton of smaller carry guns . He has a ton of S&W and Ruger DA revolvers and Kahr,Beretta,Browning and Sig pistols but not a single stinking 1911 grin

Colt Gold Cup Trophy

http://www.colt.com/Catalog/Pistols/GoldCup%C2%AESeries.aspx

And it will be a little under $1300.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=474738703

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (21, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 2003and2013, 68 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.