Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just found out my (soon to be) 5 year old grand daughter would like a bow for her birthday. Not looking for a "toy". Not interested in breaking the bank. But, would like get to something to help build good fundamentals and appropriate enough to keep it fun.

FWIW, Compound bows and carbon arrows did not exist the last time I shot a bow. So, would be a "learning experience" for both of us... grin

Thoughts ?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At that age go out, cut a branch, and put some string on it. Her interest might last all of 15 minutes.

Spent damned near $150 on my son and that lasted for about two 10-minute sessions.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a 35$(?) Fred bear ( I think) compound bow for my 6 yr old daughter last year and she is not even close to being able to draw it with it at the lowest limb weight setting. It's hanging in the basement waiting for her to get strong enough to draw it. Her 4 yr old brother will probably have the strength to pull it before she will...can't wait!!

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mathews Genesis.

If your area has the National Archery in Schools Program, you're really in luck and the Genesis is the only approved now for that program.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
after 4 grand kids and 3 nephews here are my suggestions:

Forget the compound at this age. Simple is better and a little reflex longbow is best.
Use the rubber finger savers on the string so no glove needed.

Find a small arm guard. The first string slap will end shooting for that day.

Just shoot for distance at first and don't get anal on the form. It's amazing how well young kids can shoot without too much of our "help".

Teach them early how to pull an arrow from a target. My nephews broke three arrows in the first 10 minutes after racing to the target.

Some bow suggestions:

http://www.stjoeriverbows.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9_4
St Joe's has youth bows in bright colors which are very popular with young ones.

Probably the best youth bow is a Black Rhino. They even have a trade-in program when the child outgrows the bow. Only downside: they all look the same which may not be a downside since it makes selection easy.

http://www.bows.net/blackrhino.htm#m35

The Genesis bow is a good one but I've found the kid needs to be a little older than 5 since it's a heavier bow just to carry.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would agree with starting with a stick bow, and a good arm guard. The Rhinos look like a good option, but I have no experience with their bows.

However, if you must go compound, I'd also recommend the Genesis. I know of several 5-7 year old shooters in my area that are using it, with success.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LostArra
after 4 grand kids and 3 nephews here are my suggestions:

Forget the compound at this age. Simple is better and a little reflex longbow is best.
Use the rubber finger savers on the string so no glove needed.

Find a small arm guard. The first string slap will end shooting for that day.

Just shoot for distance at first and don't get anal on the form. It's amazing how well young kids can shoot without too much of our "help".

Teach them early how to pull an arrow from a target. My nephews broke three arrows in the first 10 minutes after racing to the target.

Some bow suggestions:

http://www.stjoeriverbows.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9_4
St Joe's has youth bows in bright colors which are very popular with young ones.

Probably the best youth bow is a Black Rhino. They even have a trade-in program when the child outgrows the bow. Only downside: they all look the same which may not be a downside since it makes selection easy.

http://www.bows.net/blackrhino.htm#m35

The Genesis bow is a good one but I've found the kid needs to be a little older than 5 since it's a heavier bow just to carry.

I agree with LostArra.
I spent $150 on a bow for my boy and he couldn't pull it back. Go with a cheap recurve for now, and when they get older and stay interested, invest accordingly.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 4ager
Mathews Genesis.

If your area has the National Archery in Schools Program, you're really in luck and the Genesis is the only approved now for that program.

I appreciate everyone's input. I started off thinking "a stick and a string". And the Black Rhinos mentioned above appear to be quite serviceable for a very reasonable price.

Yes, her school district does have an NASP program. Looks like it starts in the 4th grade. I thought the pictures I had seen were recurve bows. However, after 4agers' comment, I went back and started perusing the school website. Sure enough, they were shooting compounds. My LGS has an archery "pro" who can get in a "Mini Genesis" for a reasonable price.

And, as I am discussing with my daughter (the one who never wanted to hunt), her comment was "Well, if you teach her, you have to teach me too..."

Decisions, decisions... Again, I appreciate the input...

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Local shop has a mini-Genesis in stock. Going to go that route. At a 6 lb draw weight, finger tabs ? glove? release ? Thinking a release is probably not appropriate just yet.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah go finger tab. It's pretty instinctual for youngsters..

Great choice on the bow.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 03/28/15.
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
End result: Mini-Genesis bow at 6 to 8 lb draw weight. Little league batting gloves in place of finger tabs. At five long steps, all of the arrows were hitting the target. Good time was had by all. I appreciate everyone's input.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Pink bow and arrows, WooHoo! look at that smile, You got her excited and that's all that matters, Well done Sir!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wait at least 5 more years, and 10 would be better

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd quickly do a master eye check before habits or muscle memory kick in.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
367 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.