Print Thread
Hop To
#9716048 03/26/15
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
April second I'm leaving Boise, headed to Twin Falls, Salt Lake, probably spend the night in Moab, the next day I'll head toward Farmington, NM, then to Albuquerque, Socorro and Alamogordo. On the way back probably around the 16th and 17th I'll probably reverse the trail. Anyone live along the way? Probably need something to drink along the way, to stay awake.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You'd miss me by about 90 miles - unless you decide to come through Denver on one leg - I could provide a drink, a meal, and a bed, if you made that detour.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Sounds good, maybe another trip. I have friends in Florence. smile

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
April second I'm leaving Boise, headed to Twin Falls, Salt Lake, probably spend the night in Moab, the next day I'll head toward Farmington, NM, then to Albuquerque, Socorro and Alamogordo. On the way back probably around the 16th and 17th I'll probably reverse the trail. Anyone live along the way? Probably need something to drink along the way, to stay awake.

I have driven truck down from Salt Lake through Moab and beyond several times. Loved that drive. Have a fun and safe trip.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Have a great trip CJ, stay safe.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope you have your hotel reservation in Moab already. I was there Tuesday night and things are already hopping.

If you decide to have lunch in Farmington send me a PM.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
SockPuppet, I just may do that. I'm going back and forth between Moab and Cortez. Not sure how big Cortez is or if there are rooms. I may make reservations this weekend. Thanks for the heads up.

Seems like the worst part of the trip is the drive through Salt Lake. That is a LONG town. Does anyone know how long the "greater" Salt Lake City is?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If for some unfathomable reason you decide to head back west on I-10, shoot me a PM. We are about 24 miles south just before you get to the Arizona line. Would be glad to feed you and slake your thirst.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I made the exact same trip 3 times last year. From the time the traffic starts in the Ogden area until you get out of it again south of Springville is right at 100 miles according to my odometer. Like you said - it is the worse part of the whole trip. Lots of easy driving and good scenery otherwise.

If you have time make a side trip to Chaco Canyon south of Farmington, even if you are not interested in ancient native culture it is fascinating. The downside is that it is about 35 miles off the main road to it and to even see a small bit of it takes 2 to 4 hours.

Cortez has lots of motels, Monticello which is about 50 miles south of Moab has a couple. Prices are high in Moab this time of year though. I went through in Feb and got a room at Archway Inn for $49 came back in Mar and same room was now $109, stayed there in August last year and had to pay $139 for the same room.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Excellent information

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Forgot to mention that there are lots of motels in Cortez.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As mentioned, Cortez has a ton of rooms and the rates will be much more reasonable. It also has a fair number of good restaurants, PM me if you end up there.

My room this past week in Moab at the Holiday Inn Express was $169. They go to $220+ in peak season and can be scarce.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I booked Monticello. $78 Didn't think that was bad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Monticello has a cool little golf course called the Hideout if you're into that kind of thing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Once long ago I left Moscow ID on Saturday afternoon on a motorcycle and made it to Capitan NM Sunday night. Can't say I recall ALL the details, but I sure saw a lot of mule deer in my headlight eek

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
SP, too many miles to cover to play golf. Not to mention I haven't done that in YEARS.

BW, I'll keep my eyes open for deer.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Bump

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
May see you on the road. We are pulling out with our trailer on the 2nd, headed to Twin, Jackpot, Ely, Wells and then into Kingman AZ, up to Flagstaff and do all of the *park stuff* on the way back.

Originally Posted by Cariboujack

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
That sounds like a good trip as well. Have fun.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
-Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,324
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.