Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by roundoak
I bypass Austin on SH 130 toll road

This is the ONLY way to travel! 85mph, little traffic, and they bill you for the tolls via mail, so you don't have to stop or carry change. grin

No more Austin traffic for me unless I absolutely have to go into the city.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
A tad pricier in a rental car.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by djs
Ted Cruz supports the right of states to perform most tasks, including the building of transportation infrastructure most suitable for their needs. The Federal government traditionally puts in a lot of money to pay of this through the Highway Trust Fund, but it's broke. Today, the states must pick up the slack and Texas obvious decided that it wasn't worth the expense.

Boy this one is out in left field, maybe out of the park...

Did anyone listen to the trucking company owner on the news... boy what a dumbazz.... IF in the end its the trucking company at fault, and it may well be at this point, assuming the contractor did not print the wrong height, then he will loose his azz.... speak to the press, what a dumb azz

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by roundoak
I bypass Austin on SH 130 toll road

This is the ONLY way to travel! 85mph, little traffic, and they bill you for the tolls via mail, so you don't have to stop or carry change. grin

No more Austin traffic for me unless I absolutely have to go into the city.

Ed

I can't thank you enough for that nugget of wisdom. I'd have lost what is left of my mind had I not hit that toll road.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Isn't 130 a tad high? I know I heard that a big tractor/trailer, basically costs a dollar a mile on the toll. Still likely better than 35....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Traffic anywhere around austin sucks, mopac, 183,.....,,

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by djs
Ted Cruz supports the right of states to perform most tasks, including the building of transportation infrastructure most suitable for their needs. The Federal government traditionally puts in a lot of money to pay of this through the Highway Trust Fund, but it's broke. Today, the states must pick up the slack and Texas obvious decided that it wasn't worth the expense.

The bridge in question was actually under construction.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
US 281 is the only way to go north and south in that country as it bypasses all the BS....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

The best thing about Austin was birdwatcher's reco for a tatooed, lesbian waitress serving breakfast! smile

Holy out-of-context-quote Batman! grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
And our tatooed, lesbian waitress was a dood!

'twas good chow, though.

I even walked down the street to find a copy of the commie rag. All I got from that was there is a lot of music I would not appreciate and Texas is a terrible place because of Perry and Abbott.

And , sorry for the hijack. smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Maybe It was a transgender. If so, It may be
on the Austin City Council soon.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's been a rumor bouncing around Texas for years, that the Highway dep't is mostly staffed by Texas A&M Grads, and they decided to have some fun with Austin's freeways, while the little town of College Station got really well designed roads. grin

I tend not to believe it, because Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio also have lots of traffic problems. It's really a growth thing, and it would be horrifically expensive to widen a freeway through downtown Austin. Plus UT Austin has ~52k students near downtown, which makes for an epic rush hour.

And yes, take the 130 Toll Road to avoid downtown Austin, every chance you get. Avoid downtown Houston, too!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ironbender
Don't confuse djs with facts.

smile smile

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Right?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by viking
Traffic anywhere around austin sucks, mopac, 183,.....,,

That's a fact! I can't get out of my neighborhood without sitting in traffic. It's become intolerable to live here.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
any city became intolerable to me around 13 years of age in the late 70s in Houston....

I have not and cannot live in a city

I don't understand how folks can do it, but I"m glad they do, so the country is still less populated.

Right now I work in a town of under 5000. If they told me I had to live in the city limits to have my job I'd tell em to stick it. A few of my other fellow employees have been told same. A few have done it a few have walked. My boss is the utilities manager, has 26 years there and is about to move out, the hell with the rules. I don't blame him.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
There's been a rumor bouncing around Texas for years, that the Highway dep't is mostly staffed by Texas A&M Grads, and they decided to have some fun with Austin's freeways, while the little town of College Station got really well designed roads. grin

I tend not to believe it, because Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio also have lots of traffic problems. It's really a growth thing, and it would be horrifically expensive to widen a freeway through downtown Austin. Plus UT Austin has ~52k students near downtown, which makes for an epic rush hour.

And yes, take the 130 Toll Road to avoid downtown Austin, every chance you get. Avoid downtown Houston, too!

That says it all. grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by okie
US 281 is the only way to go north and south in that country as it bypasses all the BS....

Oh sure, just tell everybody. smile Plus you can visit the shrine at Marble Falls.

I-35 from OKC to San Antone sucks and Austin is the worst. It didn't help that SXSW was in town. Everybody wanted on and off at the same exits.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Not a rumor. Tit for tat. Reason SH 21 Thru Austin district has avoided any upgrades. Past UT engineersat Austin district would not support a roadway improvements to provide for an "aggie interstate" route to College Station. Ridiculous BS in both camps. Glad I do not have to deal with any of that crap anymore.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Another reason Austin was overlooked for lots Of improvements was the other areas, Dallas houston etc sent their reps to highway commission meeting soliciting funding. Austin in their stupid enviro mentality fought improvements. Our design monies were tied up in lawsuits with a variety of enviro fringe groups!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

597 members (1Longbow, 10GaugeKS, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 61 invisible), 2,216 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,285
Posts18,448,691
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.