Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Roger Rules book says the barrel was floated on the Featherweights. I have two and they both are partial floating. They don't have clearance near the receiver, and both also appear to have pressure points at the end of the stock; a little over one inch non-floating on each end on both of these guns.

Is this how they came from Winchester or what was the amount of floating as originally made?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They were't really "floated" as they came from the factory.Neutral bedded without pressure on the fore end,maybe...sort of laying there flat....but not floated.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's how mine have been, but I didn't know the answer either. I wasn't around then... blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have always had success full length bedding standard weight pre 64 Wins; most will cloverleaf or better. I have one Featherweight that is untouched and is as I stated. I have another Featherweight assembled from parts that fits the exact same way.

I want to give the best looking and best shooting to my grandson for his 12th birthday later this year. I want the untampered with stock to be as it came from Winchester and will also supply a good looking glass bedded stock with a pad for shooting/hunting. I am sure there has been some crush or shrinkages since 1955 and 1956 on these stocks.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Lucky kid to have you as his grandfather!

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Please don't put a pad on another model 70. Teach the kids to use a 1907 style sling and there is no need for a pad.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The pad seems appropriate for a 12 year old... and for the very old... me, in .30-06. smile

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
They are much more pleasant to shoot with a recoil pad installed...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

BSA, I have become reluctantly agreeable with that statement. It hurts as a purist, but you're just plain right..
And I will flat azz not mess with a FWT unless I find that it just will not shoot.
BTW- Z3 Swaro now fully funded and winging its way for the 30'06 FWT smile

Last edited by local_dirt; 03/28/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't think I could make myself cut an original stock. But since there are so many out there where someone has already cut the stock, and those are cheaper to boot, I don't have to face that issue.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Standard rifles are all heavy enough that I don't feel the need for a recoil pad. Of course mine are all 30-06 or smaller.
I guess the .264's have more powder capacity, but the 30-06 kicks the hardest.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm not a big fan of shooting my FWT 06 off a bench. My 375 kicks less. I shoot a lot of older SXS shotguns and most of these have a short LOP. I use a slip on recoil pad to add length to the stock. I would recommend one of these long before I'd advocate the cutting of the stock.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

They also stick in the shoulder more securely with less tendency to slide around when mounting quick or under recoil.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
sbrmike Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
No where did I say I was cutting off an original stock and putting on a pad. I did say I was giving him the original stock plus a bedded stock with a pad.

There are loads of pre 64 stocks in about any configuration (except the one you need at the time) on eBay; Classic low comb or Monte Carlo, pads added in a myriad of LOP's, mid 50's with nice checkering, and later uglies with plastic buttplates and tiny machine cut checkering patterns, and of course unmolested aluminum buttplate jewels from the mid 50's, but you have to want one of them, as they are awfully proud of them.

Years ago, before the internet, pre 64 Win parts were hard to find. Now they are everywhere, but there are countless M70's being disassembled and parted out; many for no good reason except the mighty dollar. It used to be you would buy a badly butchered example to rob parts to fix a more valuable one. I do my best to reassemble pre 64 model 70's.

I do want to know just how they, the featherweights, did come from Winchester in 1955 and 1956. I know there was quite a gap on the first post 64's to facilitate floating of the then new hammer forged barrels. I never noticed a gap on the featherweights, but did check them with a sliver of thin cellophane upon reading that in Roger Rules book. I am not recoil shy, but a good pad does reduce felt recoil for sure.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue

They also stick in the shoulder more securely with less tendency to slide around when mounting quick or under recoil.

Yes sir. I just put the original stock back on my '56 fwt and will probably keep it that way. I love the rifle in it's original shape, but don't like shooting it as much as my newer classic sporter in the Tupperware with a pachmayr decelerator. The fwt is much nicer to pack around though and it handles better..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I don't think I could make myself cut an original stock. But since there are so many out there where someone has already cut the stock, and those are cheaper to boot, I don't have to face that issue.

Exactly...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by sbrmike
No where did I say I was cutting off an original stock and putting on a pad. I did say I was giving him the original stock plus a bedded stock with a pad.

I understood that from the beginning, and good job!

There are loads of pre 64 stocks in about any configuration (except the one you need at the time) on eBay; but you have to want one of them, as they are awfully proud of them.

Funny about "the one you need at the time." I just got through with that exercise. Paid a bit too much for one, a nice price on another, and I just about stole one. The good news is the cut ones are a good bit less than the original butt plate ones. Not good if you need an unmolested one.

Years ago, before the internet, pre 64 Win parts were hard to find. Now they are everywhere, but there are countless M70's being disassembled and parted out; many for no good reason except the mighty dollar.

Yes, and it is a shame.

I do my best to reassemble pre 64 model 70's.

Good on you again!

I am not recoil shy, but a good pad does reduce felt recoil for sure.

Which explains all the cut ones that are not too short.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Show me a 12-year old who would be embarrassed to hunt with a pre-'64 that had been padded. smile

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm far from 12 but I would hunt with that rifle in a heart beat.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
pal, Isn't that the gun you bought off the rack at a GS in Cali. for around $800? That paticular rifle is what I aspire all 3 of my pre-64 fwts. to look like. Well, except for the original alum. buttplate on 2 of them. That gun is in some ways the best of both worlds- about as good-looking as most things in the safe AND all that a pre-64 embodies at a reasonable price!
John

Last edited by john843; 03/30/15.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
377 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 39 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.