Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by rost495
a bronze brush if stroked 20 times or 200 is going to wear a steel barrel?

I don't like brushing that much but I don't see it wearing a barrel personally.

I've done over 1000 strokes with a brush, patch and diamond lap paste and still had copper in a bad barrel..... I"ve done it with JB too.

I just don't see how a brush can wear a barrel.

Should have clarified I was also thinking about damage to the crown, not a brass brush damaging the interior of a barrel.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by rost495
a bronze brush if stroked 20 times or 200 is going to wear a steel barrel?

I don't like brushing that much but I don't see it wearing a barrel personally.

I've done over 1000 strokes with a brush, patch and diamond lap paste and still had copper in a bad barrel..... I"ve done it with JB too.

I just don't see how a brush can wear a barrel.

Take that bronze brush, and rub it up and down the edge of one of your sharp kitchen knives.............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a friend who experienced hydraulic damage to his barrel on a M1A. An experienced competitive shooter who forgot to patch out any additional oil before firing. Toasted the barrel.

I use wipeout/patch out and then run a light patch of break free clp through followed by a dry patch.

I always hunt on a fouled barrel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
For the most part I lighty oil my bores after cleaning, and dry patch before shooting!

This.

Then when hunting I always shoot a fouled bore. Normally never clean a bore during hunting season unless been in really foul weather.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by southwind
I had a friend who experienced hydraulic damage to his barrel......

If it lasted more than four hours, he shoulda gone to a doctor....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
When I lived in Hawaii that was a different environment (90% humidity and 300 inches of rain a year) and many shooters would put oil down bores and then spray a boresnake with carb or brake cleaner and pull it through before shooting. I watched blued steel rust overnight if you forgot to wipe it down and stainless would follow suit if you waited a few days.

Now I typically clean with wipeout or patch out, push a dry patch through to finish and put nothing but bullets down it until it starts to shoot bad. I just cleaned a .270 down to bare steel after several hundred rounds so I could look at the throat. First round out at 200 yards landed in the middle of the group from a "dry barrel".

As smokepole mentioned I would be leery of anyone promoting 4 strokes of a brush for every round fired unless he owned a barrel shop and wanted to push sales.

Doesn,t Wipe out contain a rust preventative ?

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It does. But I always clean it all out of the bore with some Hoppe's on a patch when I'm done because it also has a lot of dissolved powder and copper fouling in it after your leave it in a dirty bore.

The best thing about wipeout is, it removes copper without being corrosive or needing to run a brush in and out of the bore and over the crown.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Have you noticed how the top of the Wipe-Out can gets rusty after a while? Mine do. That doesn't say much for their "rust preventative".

Wipe Out is my preferred method of cleaning, and it does say it contains a rust preventative, but I've also had it cause corrosion issues, like when some of it is left in the recesses of a flash hider.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Yondering
Have you noticed how the top of the Wipe-Out can gets rusty after a while? Mine do. That doesn't say much for their "rust preventative".

Wipe Out is my preferred method of cleaning, and it does say it contains a rust preventative, but I've also had it cause corrosion issues, like when some of it is left in the recesses of a flash hider.

Well that sure doesn,t sound very good for preventing rust.
If you have had it cause corrosion issues why is it still your preferred method of cleaning ?

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've never had it cause corrosion (on my rifles or the can) or I wouldn't be using it.

IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bcraig
I think the advice came from a credible source albeit talking about a custom barrel.#4
http://www.gunclubofamerica.com/art...ing-techniques-that-everyone-should-use/

If you hunted in an area with High Humidity (75% and higher)at times would you still leave the bore dry?

Thanks for the input

Yes, with electricians tape over the muzzle.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 23 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.