Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
and how did it perform? I got an elk tag this year and I am considering taking my 375 HH just for the fun and history of it. Obviously it is far more than needed but I gotta think a 270 GR TSX would be big medicine.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I took a big cow with mine last year.. A 260 Accubond over a charge of Varget I believe.. We are away now, so can't check the load.. Worked super. I suppose she was 400 yards or so.. She went right down and never moved as far as we could tell.. The only downside, was the drop.. The shot would have been far easier with a 7mm or .300, but it worked fine when it hit.. That is the only thing with that caliber.. We hunt open country and public land, so there is not always time to use a range finder and run turrets.. You have to shoot now, and be able to judge range.. If you are shooting at 300 or less, I would say no problem.. Great caliber.. I killed a moose with it last fall also.. Enjoy..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I never killed an elk with a .375, but am currently working up .375 H&H loads. I caught your reference to a LR shot and am interested in the 250 TTSX with its superior B.C. and slightly faster MV than the 270 TSX. It should, in theory, be a better LR projectile.

But, from what I've read, the 270 TSX may be more accurate than the 250 TTSX. I don't know why that would be, and hope my range experience doesn't confirm it.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
If drawn,gonna take my pair of .375's. One is using a 300 gr Sierra and the other a 260 gr NP,figure if I do my part (shot placement) either one will do the job.

Here are two pics of the type of country I'll be hunting. Same area,just a couple miles apart.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by elkhunternm; 03/27/15.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have taken two bulls using the 260 gr Partition loaded to 2700 fps. Worked just fine as expected. Here is one of them.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent question. I've been thinking about taking mine this year too. It will be loaded up with 260gr. Nosler partitions..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've shot two elk with my .375. The first was a small bull quartering towards me at about 130 yards. Placed the crosshairs on the point of his shoulder and touched off. He took off running and I took another shot which broke the spine and put him down. Now here is the verrry odd part. I was shooting 260 gr. Nosler partitions, 2700 fps. A very good bullet at normal speed. That first bullet hit the top of the humerus, right where the scapula joins it. The scapula was pounded into bits the size of a quarter, but he bullet deflected outwards on impact and failed to penetrate the ribs and chest cavity underneath. If I hadn't connected again with the shot at the running elk I would have lost it.
I thought the relatively big tough .375 bullet would be immune to that kind of behaviour. Nope.
The next season, sitting in the same tree stand, with the same rifle and load, I shot a cow elk just 20 yards further out. She was in roughly the same position, but I moved my point of aim just a tad forward. She wobbled a few steps and fell over. The bullet penetrated the heavy shoulder muscle, broke ribs going in, went thru both lungs, and exited near the last rib on the far side. Exactly what I would expect.
I have seen the shoulder bone socket stop bullets from a .308 before. But I never expected the .375 to have any challenge. You just never know. For what its worth, I consider the .308 entirely adequate for elk.

A pic of the bull in my story...
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used the .375 H&H on both whitetails and elk.....IMO one gains nothing over a .30-06 on such game....there is no such thing as deader or deadest.....

If one can handle the recoil then go for it because it does give one the confidence that he is using "enough" gun.....LOL
Here's a few pics:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by vapodog; 03/28/15.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
jmp300wsm, The .375 has been my only hunting rifle,for everything,since around 1982.It,obviously,has been my elk rifle since my move to Wyoming in 1985. I did,however,get an AI in 1989 which is my "only" hunting rifle.I'm was very pleased with the performance of the .375 H&H using Hornady 270 SP' s.The only reason that I went to the .375 AI,was to go a lighter rifle with higher velocities(a little more reach).With the AI, I went with the Barnes 270 and have been completely satisfied. I am going to work with the 250TTSX this summer, because of the higher BC. I'm hoping to add another couple of hundred yards to my effective range! I hope that this gave you the info that you were seaking!!!! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have used mine to take a couple of deer in Texas. As you would expect "no Problem" really am just curious to see how the 270 TSX performs on a much "tougher" bull elk. Every other caliber I have used TSX's in has performed spectacularly But have yet to try these.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by memtb
I went with the Barnes 270 and have been completely satisfied. I am going to work with the 250TTSX this summer, because of the higher BC. I'm hoping to add another couple of hundred yards to my effective range! I hope that this gave you the info that you were seaking!!!! memtb

I've heard glowing reviews on the 270 TSX, both at the ranga and on game.

I, like you, want to work up some 250 TTSX loads for the reasons you've outlined. I've heard they don't shoot as well as 270 TSX's. I hope that's wrong and I await your report.

DF

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Vapodog that is one sharp looking Win 70! Is it a pre 64 or a Classic?

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have harvested 8 or 9 with the Ruger variation. Used the 250 sierra, 235 ttsx, 270 tsx, and the 260 np. All worked fine and shot well. Only ever recovered 1 slug (270 tsx) from a follow up shot that ran nearly the length of the bull. I finally settled on the 260 partition as its pretty hard to beat and shoots the best of the bunch in my rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wwy
I have harvested 8 or 9 with the Ruger variation. Used the 250 sierra, 235 ttsx, 270 tsx, and the 260 np. All worked fine and shot well. Only ever recovered 1 slug (270 tsx) from a follow up shot that ran nearly the length of the bull. I finally settled on the 260 partition as its pretty hard to beat and shoots the best of the bunch in my rifle.

That's good to hear. I plan on trying a 260gr. nosler partition this year, if the 338 doesn't get him first grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some nice rifles pictured. I threw this swirly on this one to hunt it!! She's ready for some elk huntin...

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed a couple with mine and the seemingly popular 260 partition.

Worked just fine, but no better than a .270 Win or .300 Win or anything else.

I have had that 260 partition stop in smaller animals like wolf and whitetail, but not the 2 elk I have killed with it. Weird.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I have used mine to take a couple of deer in Texas. As you would expect "no Problem" really am just curious to see how the 270 TSX performs on a much "tougher" bull elk. Every other caliber I have used TSX's in has performed spectacularly But have yet to try these.

The performance of the 270 gr TSX out of the H&H is somewhat legendary on cape buffalo.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That is what I understand as well. Figure an elk should be a walk in the park?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed several elk with a 375 H&H loaded with the Hornady 270 gr spire point. The outcome was just what you'd expect it to be. One thing that I was pleasantly surprised with is the minimal meat loss (bloodshot) as compared to elk I've killed with other cartridges like the 300 Win. I see no reason not to use the 375 if you want to.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Shot a moose last fall with my .375 Ruger and 250gr TTSX. One shot broadside and it blew right through its neck, bang flop. The 250gr TTSX are accurate in mine, last time at the range I fired my last six rounds at the same target and ended with a one inch ragged hole. I'll be using the same combo this fall.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
92 members (10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 16penny, 15 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 732 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.