24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sold the rifle to a bud a few years ago...hes out there killing elk with it grin

I never babied my rifles and I have wood stocked blued rifles that are 30 years old and look better than most a tenth their age...however I have learned to like the luxury of not paying attention to little dings, bumps, and rainstorms on a SS/Syn rifle

OTOH, being somewhat a traditionalist and hunting Africa in warm dry climates, it seemed to me a sin to use anything other than classic rifles. So I didn't.

Gophers and coyotes don't beg for classic rifles, so they get SS/Syn. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Ok, I see your point.. Ever wish the .375 was back home again?

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by ingwe
I would HIGHLY recommend the Swift A-frame...seems to do well at any speed ( even 2450...) and it expends most if not all its energy in an elk sized target. See the little bump on the Sables shoulder?.....its a 300 gr. A-frame that came in from the other side at about 35 yards.

[Linked Image]
Thanks again Ingwe. cool The 300 gr SAF is on the short list of bullets,along with the 260 & 300 gr NP's.

Lovely Sable and .375.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sold the rifle to a bud a few years ago...hes out there killing elk with it grin

I never babied my rifles and I have wood stocked blued rifles that are 30 years old and look better than most a tenth their age...however I have learned to like the luxury of not paying attention to little dings, bumps, and rainstorms on a SS/Syn rifle

OTOH, being somewhat a traditionalist and hunting Africa in warm dry climates, it seemed to me a sin to use anything other than classic rifles. So I didn't.

Gophers and coyotes don't beg for classic rifles, so they get SS/Syn. grin
The .375 RUM I have is a Rem 700 SS/Syn. As it is in the gunsafe it weighs 6lbs & 14 ozs. Going to put another stock on it and right now I like either English walnut or a laminate,what say Ingwe?

It also has no iron sights,dunno if I want them or not. Was thinking of using money for iron sights and getting a better grade of English walnut. Do have a fixed Leupold 2.5x scope that is going on the rifle. Again what say Ingwe?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you aren't gonna put sights and a barrel band on it, and cerakote it matte black, save your money on either the walnut or the laminate.
Either make it classic or keep it pragmatic.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Ok, I see your point.. Ever wish the .375 was back home again?

Nope, Im good with it. I grew out of hunting things that you need a .375 for and in my old age am now plinking varmints, deer, antelope and pigs. Don't want to shoot anything thats overly hard to get back to the truck wink

For all that stuff, stainless/syn works! I especially got confirmation on this when I dropped my rifle from an 8 foot high rack whilst predator hunting in texas last winter. Force of habit had the chamber empty, and even a close look didn't reveal any damage whatsoever, even though it landed on those white rocks in the hill country. Also got rained on the next night....

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am about in the same boat as you are.. Varmints, deer, antelope, pigs, black bear, turkey and birds are my favorites.. while I can see your point of syn rifles, not for me just yet.. Maybe never..

It would be good to be able to say I really don't need this any more and peddle the rifles and shotguns I am pretty sure I have little use for..... BUT something always tells me maybe someday you'll want it, and its paid for an not eating anything...

You' re a lucky man..

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
If you aren't gonna put sights and a barrel band on it, and cerakote it matte black, save your money on either the walnut or the laminate.
Either make it classic or keep it pragmatic.
Gotcha.

Thanks Ingwe.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I am about in the same boat as you are.. Varmints, deer, antelope, pigs, black bear, turkey and birds are my favorites.. while I can see your point of syn rifles, not for me just yet.. Maybe never..

It would be good to be able to say I really don't need this any more and peddle the rifles and shotguns I am pretty sure I have little use for..... BUT something always tells me maybe someday you'll want it, and its paid for an not eating anything...

You' re a lucky man..

You and I are both living in relatively dry climate. Wood/blue has worked for a lot of generations, and its still as good as ever! However I travel a little to hunt, even my varmints so Ive made the switch. My wife bought me a really nice little Model7CDL in .22-250 and I actually took it to Africa.....but Im sure glad it wasn't the one I dropped off that high rack! shocked

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Something on the order of this?

[Linked Image]

Realize it's not a very good pic,but this'll help me out.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't see problem with using one. Europeans use 9,3x62 for hunting wild boar, moose, stag,..... When optimally loaded 9,5x73 is about 20% more powerful of the two chamberings. The only problem with H&H round is that factory ammo is 200fps too fast in any given loading it would be nearly perfect round otherwise.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
845 members (1234, 12344mag, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 81 invisible), 3,230 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,249
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.