Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Looks like my cc got hit! Should be a 27 late bull tag for my son. He had 8 NR points.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One of my kids drew a youth hunt in 4A, both are first time in the draw.

Anyone get a goat tag"

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For non-residents:

First Pass (20% Bonus Point)

Twenty percent of authorized hunt permit-tags in each hunt number for deer, antelope, elk, turkey, javelina, and spring bear may be issued in this pass. Twenty percent of the total authorized hunt permit-tags (all hunt numbers combined) for both bighorn sheep and buffalo may be issued. Although 20 percent are available, the 10% nonresident caps are still in effect.

To find the full post, Click here

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Talked to GFD this morning and was told they are not finished yet. She wouldn't tell me anything about status.

If you don't have anything nice to say, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

When it's time to bury your guns it's time to dig em up.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
results are on the phone line. I drew unit 1 archery!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I drew first choice 3a3c archery. 125 tags and my best friend and I got 2 of them. Very excited, now the homework can begin.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Too bad you don't know someone that can call for you...

Cheryl drew 3a3c rifle cow.

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have an adopted uncle named Kent from the valley that is pretty good and knows that area. We may give him a call or just go pick him up so Steve can tell him stories. smile

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
We'll probably get kicked out of Heber... again...

I'm bringing duct tape for his mouth if we want to go to town and eat.

Tio Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
5A Rifle bull for me!

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wife drew late rifle cow unit 23.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I drew archery elk permit # 000001 in unit 3A-3C

happyhappyhappy!!!

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Jeffpg

happyhappyhappy!!!

You were top bonus point holder for that hunt.

Kent

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me and my crew drew 4 of the 24 early rifle bull tags in 5a with 4 bonus points

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You guys know your stuff it seems. My buddy and I drew non-res late season 22N tags. We weren't expecting it and now we're nervous about drawing possibly in a couple other places we ARE expecting to draw in. Can you spend too much time hunting elk? The research scramble begins...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The red onion awaits.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Looks like my cc got hit! Should be a 27 late bull tag for my son. He had 8 NR points.

Confirmed. Permit #9.

So now that he drew, it looks like he get a loyalty bonus point?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
he gets a loyalty after 5 years straight of applying. Miss one and you loose it, tell you get 5 in a row again

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by Jeffpg

happyhappyhappy!!!

You were top bonus point holder for that hunt.

Kent

That I was Kent.

I would've applied for the tag last year but had to wait due to my work schedule. I was pretty sure I'd draw it. Now I'm stoked that I did. It should really be a fun hunt.

I'd truly love to hear from anyone who has drawn this unit in the past. I have a great outfitter and don't actually seek help as much as I'd simply enjoy hearing about your experience!

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Average 3C archery bull... 2008

Buddy of mine that run hounds and has guided rifle elk hunts drew 3C archery. He figured if he drew he'd get his guiding friends to go with him, unfortunately one had drawn the same tag and was hunting a different area and the rest had paying clients. He asked if I could call for him, as it wasn't his forte.

Sure, I had my trailer up there already.

Another guy on a local site had a 12 year old son with a late rifle tag. I was giving him some info on that hunt, he said he also drew a 3C archery tag. His first elk tag ever. I told him I really couldn't give him a honey hole but some general good areas. He was going to camp a mile from us. I visited him and his crew there, we exchanged numbers in case either got a bull down and needed help.

We hunted 5 days hard, had some call ins, most smaller than he wanted. He had two shot opportunities on great bulls. First he shot over and said a branch deflected, another we had two bulls going apechit over a rise, I sent him over while I moved and cow called to keep their attention. Bulls are bugling nonstop, I can't see but here comes my buddy. I shrug at him, why are you coming back, the elk are still right there screaming. He shows me his bow and it takes a second for me to realize he has no arrows left... He shot all six and missed... he was deadly on a target.

Killing is 90% mental and I've seen it before.

He had to go back to town for wed/thursday then come back thur evening.

I went by the other guy's camp to see how they were doing. He wasn't having any luck and his crew was leaving for the week. I told him I was available wed and thur if he wanted to hunt with me. He said hell ya. I had to go into town for supplies wed morning and told him to meet me at my trailer at 2:30 wed afternoon.

Andy showed up and we went over where and what he had been doing. He had some bugling bulls in an area but never could get to them. I knew the area and it was OK. I suggested before we went there we hit one of my favorite spots with an old hidden burn. The spot I was hunting with Mike was a couple miles away and so active I didn't think we would hunt this hole. I told Andy we would give it a half hour and if it didn't pan out quick we would go to his area. He had said he wanted a 350 bull...

Standing on the ridge above the creek and bedding area I point out a wallow to Andy, hit one squeal and immediately get an answering bugle below... 3 in the afternoon.

We drop in and work around the bedding area to not blow them out, and work to the old burn where they filter out to feed from their beds.

The wind changes and blows right into the thick stuff.

Crap!

We are on the edge of the burn in some jack pines, I make a call and nothing. Time to get the hell out of there.

We start to leave, move 50 yards back into the trees and Andy say's, there's cows moving out over there. Sure enough some cows were feeding into the burn a couple hundred yards away.

I tell him to run back to the burn edge and I'll call back in the trees.

I cow call and two bulls blowup right under me in the creek, another growls from where the cows are.

Andy looks at me and I wave him back to me and he runs.

As soon as he gets there I call and both bulls explode again just under us. One walks over the rise and racks a jackpine 40 yards away then walks back down when the other lets out a bugle. Andy had drawn back but didn't have enough time or decent shot.

He looked at me with big eyes. I flash a 3 and 2 with my fingers to say, 320 bull. He mouthed I'll take him... game on!

Run, to that tree he just racked.

Andy got there and I could tell he could see each bull and he moved his head from one to the other and was ranging them.

I started cow calling with earnest and they blewup at me and each other. I could see a rack above the jacks coming right at me and Andy was perfectly broadside. The rack stopped and Andy ranged then drew back and shot.

I heard a crack, and knew he hit a log.

The bull wheeled back down and I hammered the call. He came back on a string, right to me. I could only see his rack.

Andy ranged, drew back and shot... I heard a solid thunk.

The rack slowly moved off and I saw it go in circles and finally lay down in the jackpines. Andy couldn't see from his spot.

Andy came over and was shaking. I asked him how hw felt about the shot. He wasn't sure especially after missing the first. I told him to drink some water and we'll give it time to go look for blood. He's relating the whole episode again and again, calming down.

I say, let's go look at your bull... he just stared at me.

It went 40 yards from where it was shot, double lung pass through, dead as a doornail.

Andy said... when you said 30 minutes you meant it...

Kent

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

434 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 51 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,973
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.