Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jmsdad
Originally Posted by hawkins
When you shoot it they will take it in trade. Yes you will, or your Brother in Law will do it for you.

2nd shot out of a .260Rem Kimber montana with 120gr TTSX. Blue tip fell off mid-flight and hit screen. I sent it back for replacement/calibration and used it twice since. I sold it on craigslist last week for $75. Pretty good investment...bought it in 1999 for $50.

[Linked Image]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Fotis,

The tests I ran of a Chrony and ProChrono versus an Oehler were more extensive, taking place over three sessions. One of them paired the Oehler with a ProChrono all across one afternoon, from shortly after lunch until the sun wasn't all that far above the horizon. Varying sun is the hardest item for light-screen chronographs to deal with, and I ran a bunch of bullets from .17 caliber to over .30 caliber over both chronographs that afternoon. Neither chronograph "missed" any shots, and while individual shots varied between the two, the averages of strings of shots were pretty close. This is what we'd expect with one chronograph with screens only a foot apart, as opposed to a chronograph with a wider spacing.

The Chronys I tested didn't do so well, missing a number of shots as well as varying in recorded velocities more than the ProChrono.

Another test involves shooting a load that produces very consistent velocities in different light conditions, such as a partly cloudy day when the light varies from bright sun to cloudy. This is where I've found Chronys least reliable. One varied over 100 fps with the same load in sunny and cloudy light. Haven't had ProChronos do this.

Since Chronys are so popular, have also been at a local public range several times when people were having trouble with Chronys. In one instance the Chrony was showing velocities several hundred fps low with a known load, and no its wasn't due to a low battery, because the guy changed it, and then I lent him one of my spare batteries. Experienced that kind of stuff a number of times, which is why I eventually tried other lower-priced brands, and found ProChronos more reliable.

Haven't used a Chrony in about three years now, and perhaps they're far more reliable.

It seems that the Chrony has a problem with variable light conditions. I have a Beta with remote and a printer, which I really like as I sometimes have trouble remembering to write down each velocity. I was thinking that if I used some of those LED strings that have LEDs about an inch apart, say 9 LEDs on each string sitting on top of the diffusers they would provide a more reliable amount of light. Do you know if anyone has tried this before? Do you think it will work?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have no idea.

My solution was to spend $100 for a ProChrono.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Pro chrony digital is the way to go, I purchased a Beta master and it worked great for about a year, then I started getting errors half the time, bought a Pact, it only worked with 22 rimfires. Took the Pact back to Cabelas, got my full refund and bought a Pro Chrony and never looked back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We had my Chrony and a bud's ProChrono side-by-side yesterday in drizzle/overcast, under a canopy. Neither would read. The Chrony showed "error", the Pro showed nothing. I've had hit-n-miss luck under a canopy, depending on ambient light.

When removed from the canopy, they still wouldn't work. My bud has a piece of plexiglass that he made as a rain shield. We eventually got some readings but the water droplets caused some weird results. And fog under the shield.

I need a box with opaque top...

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
731 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.