Print Thread
Hop To
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I picked up a round top AIII action Not marked Sako,but marked AIII and made in Finland.It is on a custom Rifle I bought.Were these made for Herters or some one else as just actions????The action is level across the top and the scope mounting holes are .500 center to center.I have never seen one like this before.Any info you have would be appreciated.Thanks ahead ,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Might be an import for Harington & Richardson. Buddy has one in .223.

Last edited by Mike_S; 03/27/15.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It could be an older model Sako, try the Sako Collectors Club.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not absolutely sure but the actions were sold by Stoeger years ago. Stoeger was the importer for Sako at the time the Alll was popular. Sako never put the company name on the rifles they made exclusively. They just said made in Finland. Round top actions, from Sako, were utilized by Browning in their Safari Grade rifles, H&R in some of their rifles and the late forms of Beretta Matos and sporters. American Eagle and Magnum Research also used them in their rifles. I can't think of any more, right off hand.-Mike

A PHD Won't help you if you don't know what the hell you are talking about.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interestingly, the Sako round top actions used in the Browning Safari's had the rear of the receiver milled lower than the front reciever similar to a mauser. Browning was the only round top action to use this differential to my knowledge.

The Sako round top actions used in the H&R rifles had the rear and front of the receivers at the same height.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Huntz,

Here is a pic of a Browning Safari Sako round top action showing the differential.

[Linked Image]

The rear base hole spacing is .500 and the front is .750

This is an H&R Sako round top which is level.

[Linked Image]

I can't remember what the hole spacing was though

Does your rifle have two small holes on the right side of the rear receiver?

Last edited by MCT3; 03/27/15.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MCT3
Huntz,

Here is a pic of a Browning Safari Sako round top action showing the differential.

[Linked Image]

The rear base hole spacing is .500 and the front is .750

This is an H&R Sako round top which is level.

[Linked Image]

I can't remember what the hole spacing was though

Does your rifle have two small holes on the right side of the rear receiver?

The action is the same as your bottom photo.No holes tapped on the side.

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Interesting, H&R offered very few long action (L61R or AIII) Sako round top actions in their "Ultrarifle". Most of the H&R LA's were built on FN Mauser actions. The H&R round tops that I've seen were unique with two holes in the right side of the rear receiver which were filled with filler screws.

The only other manufacturer that I'm aware of to use a round top long action was Magnum Research, but they used the L691 which was a much later model.

Did your rifle come with scope bases? The round tops are a PIA to find bases for!

H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MCT3
Interesting, H&R offered very few long action (L61R or AIII) Sako round top actions in their "Ultrarifle". Most of the H&R LA's were built on FN Mauser actions. The H&R round tops that I've seen were unique with two holes in the right side of the rear receiver which were filled with filler screws.

The only other manufacturer that I'm aware of to use a round top long action was Magnum Research, but they used the L691 which was a much later model.

Did your rifle come with scope bases? The round tops are a PIA to find bases for!

Yes ,they look like weaver mounts.They are kind of high and I was hoping to get some lower ones.I am finding that out.Maybe I can get some blanks and make my own.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yep, other companies used some of the round top actions.

But its very possible it showed up as an ITW action, imported to a Sako dealer, like tons of other Sako parts.

I have a nice blued round top Sako 375 HH here in the safe.

The action showed up exactly like I described, as did maybe three others.
You could order ITW actions from Herters and some guy in K.C., MO (forget his name) was a big dealer in Sako guns, parts, barrels and some ammo. As one said, Stoeger imported the AIII.

Conetrol makes rings for these actions.

IC B3

H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by HawkI
Yep, other companies used some of the round top actions.

But its very possible it showed up as an ITW action, imported to a Sako dealer, like tons of other Sako parts.

I have a nice blued round top Sako 375 HH here in the safe.

The action showed up exactly like I described, as did maybe three others.
You could order ITW actions from Herters and some guy in K.C., MO (forget his name) was a big dealer in Sako guns, parts, barrels and some ammo. As one said, Stoeger imported the AIII.

Conetrol makes rings for these actions.

Thats what I figured.You could get all kinds of imported actions at Herters.Their store in Beaverdam Wi. was a dream for a Gun loony when I was a kid.Rows of barrels ,actions and stocks.Anything you would want.Huntz

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

412 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.