Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Razz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Off season discussion while we wait for draw results and make our plans. Do you use a diaphragm aka mouth type cow call? Not the barrel type you blow into. What one do you like?

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I like Primos sonic dome diaphragms,they tickle my gums less.. I use them to cow call and with a bugle tube.

I much prefer calls like woodwise hyper hot for cow calling tho..But a diaphragm in your mouth while on a bow stalk is useful/hands free.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on sonic dome. they are the most comfortable to use, while annoying ones family before the season. smile

my wife recommends using the commute to work. or while fishing, or anywhere else..... wink

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Razz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sonic dome is what I picked up for last fall as well. Since it is early I may grab a few others to monkey around with this summer. I enjoy driving the wife and dog nuts with them too.

Razz
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Primos ivory plate. I tried the sonic dome in 2008 and while it had a dynamic sound, I couldn't get near the subtle sounds as the plate.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just use my old turkey diaphragms

AZCOUES___Border Rat Clan
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Primos one, don't remember the model. It makes lots of different sounds. They range from gag, hork, upchuck, dry heave, choke, and many more. The elk in my area must be call shy, they don't ever seem to show up when using this call.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Any one made by Wayne Carlton

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Primos. Ivory plate single for general cow and a pretty decent bugle and the "Top Pin" for close in finesse cow/calf sounds.

Razz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bigswede358
It makes lots of different sounds. They range from gag, hork, upchuck, dry heave, choke, and many more. The elk in my area must be call shy, they don't ever seem to show up when using this call.

smile

Razz
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not a Primos fan at all.

HS has a couple that are fairly straight forward. Most of Wayne Carlton's work well for me.

Keeping in mind that the call has to be fresh, and the most they should be used afield is seldom.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't have a favorite but wouldn't mind a all around call for bulls and cows if anyone could suggest?

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This post got me laughing, remembering the first time I tried a diaphragm call for elk. Three of us were pretty new to elk hunting, and figuring I was ok with a turkey call, I'd give one a whirl for elk. First attempt wasn't too bad, though it did raise a few chuckles from the buds. The second try sounded like somebody had peppered a beagle in the azz with #9's, both guys were on their knees laughing so hard they were almost in tears, I was too after I'd gagged/spit the dam thing out. That was my only attempt, so I wont offer any advice!

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The worst offenders of horrible elk calls... are elk...

Was calling and had two hunters answering and calling while coming in to my call, they were terrible. I finally decided to move so they could see me and stop. Rounded a bush and stepped in the open... it was two bulls beelining right to me.

Kent

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've tried a variety of calls and I like the carlton single. Seems to be pretty versatile and works well for me.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I just tried the Wapiti River Outdoors The Reaper and it is far and away the easiest to use and the easiest to make really good cow sounds. It is a domed reed call and it fits in perfectly with no gag reflex. It made me a heckuva lot better caller than I really am. I thought the Primos/HS/Carlton were good until I tried the Wapiti River calls (I also have a couple others that work very well too....just not as good for me as The Reaper). I dont have anything to do with the company, but I think that his product is so good that I should be sharing it with my fellow elk hunters!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
"They range from gag, hork, upchuck, dry heave, choke, and many more."

Please tell me more about the "hork" call.

It sounds like a winner to me!!@@!@

It's a good day for something.
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I've used a few hundred different diaphragm elk reeds over the years, the best one I've used & seems to be the most user friendly is the Mellow Yellow!

The best All Purpose reed is the Mistress & 2nd would be the Raging Bull, both of these are elk killers for both bull & cow sounds out of the same reed. This is important in crunch time when you need one reed that does it well while keeping both hands free!

ElkNut1

Last edited by ElkNut1; 06/29/15.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Looking at that mellow yellow, it and the primos plate series are similar in design, should be good. Are they available in stores or only the internet?

Kent

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
The Mellow Yellow is generally available in Sporting Goods Stores. They are a very good single reed call. They like any reed takes hours of practice to achieve respectable cow & bull sounds so do not expect immediate results!

ElkNut1

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (35, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 19 invisible), 1,349 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,468
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.