-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, breaks can damage scopes!! I was the range a few weeks ago, had the place all to myself. Then some dude comes in with his 7mm wizbang with a GIANT scope and a HUGE brake. It was SO dam loud I jammed my rifle in the case and hit the scope on the bench. So can a brake hurt a scope you ask? Yes, it can. Probly does more damage to the guys trying to get the puck out of there after there range time is ruined..

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats a good reason that I shoot at home and won't do public ranges.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I hate muzzle br...........make that I triple hate muzzle brakes. The most damage they do is to everyone within 10 yds' eardrums.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I don't want to get too far into the physics on this, but some of it is necessary, so please bear with me.

First, no muzzle brake (brake, as in "slowing down", not break as in to break something) I know of is capable of changing the direction of the recoil. In fact, if you were able to completely reverse the momentum of all the powder gas, I don't believe the combination of mass and velocity of the gas would be great enough to counter the momentum of the bullet.

Now, for a short but necessary physics discussion.

The change in position of an object divided by the time it takes to move from one position to another is VELOCITY. Most everyone understands velocity, even if they have little background in science.

The change in velocity of an object divided by the time it takes to go from moving at one velocity to another is ACCELERATION. Many understand acceleration as well. You feel it when you are in a high performance car and the straight line acceleration pushes you back into the seat. It is the difference between a wide receiver who is very fast, but takes a few more yards to get moving compared to a running back who is not as fast, but can go from a standing start and hit the hole very quickly.

Now comes the part many are not familiar with. The change in acceleration of an object divided by the time it takes to go from experiencing one acceleration to another is JERK. (Yes, jerk is a scientific term.) To understand it, imagine a high performance boat. Imagine the driver gets on the throttle quickly, but smoothly, and you are quickly but smoothly pinned back into you seat as the boat accelerates. The jerk is relatively low. Now imagine tying the boat to the dock, then bringing it to full throttle. The boat is not moving, but straining like hell on the rope. Now cut the rope. You are slammed back into the seat. In this case, the jerk is high.

Many devices can handle relatively high acceleration, but they cannot handle high jerk all that well. In addition, velocity, acceleration, and jerk are all vector quantities, meaning they have a value and a direction. Muzzle brakes can rather rapidly change the value and direction of jerk. They are not able to change the direction of the recoil velocity. None I know of will try to take the rifle forward out of your grasp. Depending on the design, they may or may not be able to change the direction of the acceleration. But any effective brake can absolutely quickly change the acceleration from a high value toward your shoulder into a lesser value still toward your shoulder. This is a high value of jerk in a direction some devices are not well designed to withstand. Spring piston air rifles and even some semi-autos can do the same thing. It is counterintuitive that a light .22 rimfire semi-auto that recoils hardly at all can be hard or a scope, but many a cheap scope has succumbed. The constant, repetitive, peck, peck, peck of jerk finally gets to them.

So, yes, muzzle brakes can damage scopes.

That term "Jerk" sounds a lot like the term force when I took physics.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
You must be one of the ones that sent a purple scope back...

Yes, it was. But I bought it purple. Here is why:

It was sitting in the case at the big box store in about 1968. It was purple. It was marked down about 25%. I asked the department manager why he didn't send it back? I knew Leupold wouldn't like having a defective scope on display.

He said it was too much trouble for him to send it back. He would just keep lowering the price until it sold.

He offered it to me at half price. I bought it. I sent it to Leupold with a letter explaining the story and stated what I paid for it with a copy of the receipt.

The factory sent me a brand new scope and thanked me for sending the purple one in. They said they had a batch that had gotten out with bad anodizing. They looked fine leaving the factory, but soon turned purple, especially under fluorescent lights in display cases.

I have been a loyal Leupold fan ever since.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I don't want to get too far into the physics on this, but some of it is necessary, so please bear with me.

First, no muzzle brake (brake, as in "slowing down", not break as in to break something) I know of is capable of changing the direction of the recoil. . .

. . . The constant, repetitive, peck, peck, peck of jerk finally gets to them.

So, yes, muzzle brakes can damage scopes.

That term "Jerk" sounds a lot like the term force when I took physics.

With all due respect, no, it is not. Force causes acceleration. Jerk is the time rate of change of acceleration.
More than you may care to know, but here is a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerk_%28physics%29

Last edited by GunDoc7; 04/02/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 16penny, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,901
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.