-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No problem to the metal at all. It conducts heat into the permafrost, hence those radiators to keep moving the heat out. The chances of landing in a permafrost lens is fairly high. When it melts it leaves a big hole...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey neighbor! I made my own concrete for the last cabin I built, brought the Portland cement in by sled in the spring. I screened the aggregates from the nearby gravel bar. I use 12" PVC piers 9'+ deep. No heaving at all. My buddies cabin on sonotube piers heave, so I use PVC.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those radiators are often filled with ammonia as a passive radiator-coolant-type system.

Short of getting that elaborate, a gravel pad over rigid foam board is a frequently-used method. Then wood pads to support heavy beams on top of that are proven ways of dealing with foundations in perm-frost country.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Are you intending to post hole some test holes?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by kroo88
Technometalpost.com

Neighbor down here is an installer. His posts are the foundation under the addition we're currently doing. The machine is about the same size as a small Bobcat. It has a short boom and drills helical posts into the ground until reaching a gauged pressure. He welds on a bracket and you build from there.

Homer has very little permafrost. Petersville has lots. I would avoid metal posts for that reason.

Good point....thoroughly enjoying Global Warming here. Those Chinese sure are nice people.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by kroo88
Technometalpost.com

Neighbor down here is an installer. His posts are the foundation under the addition we're currently doing. The machine is about the same size as a small Bobcat. It has a short boom and drills helical posts into the ground until reaching a gauged pressure. He welds on a bracket and you build from there.

Thanks for that link. I've been kicking around options for our place up in Caribou Hills...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
if you want this as something that will last for generations to come and to be handed down in the family over time (hopefully a long time) do it right once and enjoy. as mentioned wind and snow and the combination of the two along with the deep frost does present some challenges but they can be accommodated. when designing for wind, the devil is in the details if you will. the load paths and connections have to be done correct or while it may look impressive, it will be a waste of time and money. look through a Simpson catalog for ideas on proper wind design and how the connections required to make it all work including the hold down details from roof to foundation. another item i would suggest is when you place your roof trusses i would go with half of them as a "Room in attic" truss and the other half can be a scissors truss for a vaulted ceiling over the other half. the room in attic type truss will give you a loft area for either sleeping or storage with not much more addition work than erecting the trusses you would be putting up anyway. i did this for a buddy of mine for a cabin on his property and he was most pleased with the affordability of the design and results. i am sure there are tons of ready made plans out there that will give you what you are looking for. also since this is not going to be a huge cabin, just go with 2x6's as the wall framing for the extra insulation properties and strength for the snow loads on the roof. it really will make a difference in the performance.

Not my cabin, but I love the idea of a vaulted ceiling and loft for a smaller home. You can do some much with that area. If there are school age grandkids involved, they love loft areas to get away from the "old folks".

B
B
heres my cabin i built 4 years ago. i can get the ATV,SNOWMOBILE AND LOG SPLITTER UNDER IT.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
Hey neighbor! I made my own concrete for the last cabin I built, brought the Portland cement in by sled in the spring. I screened the aggregates from the nearby gravel bar. I use 12" PVC piers 9'+ deep. No heaving at all. My buddies cabin on sonotube piers heave, so I use PVC.

Whereabouts in Petersville is your cabin? Our land is in the Kenny Creek subdivision and is one of the closest lots to the road.

Some good suggestions here and I appreciate all the helpful info. I know a few other folks that built cabins out that way and will be bending their ears this summer/next winter.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not building this summer?

Be a good time to get a foundation in and allow a winter to shift/settle.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

I can provide pictures and a few other thoughts relating to why…. blush

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

what you used for the form shouldn't make any difference in the chance of it heaving. it's the frost depth. i would suspect that your set of piers were deeper than the frost depth in your area opposed to your buddies piers may not have been deep enough. depending on the size of the structure you will be supporting and the distance between the supports required, another issue a person could run into is inadequate soil bearing for the particular load. a 12" dia pier doesn't have much of a foot print to distribute the loads into the ground. what would be nice is if a guy could bell out the bottom of his piers prior to pouring to give the pier more footprint to bear on. belling it out to 18" to 24" in dia for about 8"-12" in ht before transitioning back to the original bore dia would go a long way in both bearing capacity as well as increased up lift capacity for your wind loads (think of it as the pier being dovetailed into the soil some 10 ft below. my .02 anyway.

Last edited by JimHnSTL; 03/30/15.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

Correct, we are going to sit on the land for a year or so before we commence with the construction of a cabin. But I do plan on cutting some trees and such this summer when we select the actual spot where the cabin will go up.

There are some pretty large trees on our lot with ample spacing where we won't have to cut too many of them down.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

what you used for the form shouldn't make any difference in the chance of it heaving. it's the frost depth. i would suspect that your set of piers were deeper than the frost depth in your area opposed to your buddies piers may not have been deep enough. …….

Won't matter if there's permafrost. Permafrost is generally a lot deeper than any piers an ordinary individual will install. Anchoring piers in permafrost requires some method to deal with conduction of heat from on top. Even 30 foot columns properly designed for permafrost can be subject to heaving. Insulated pads are the simplest and most economical way to build on permafrost. You need to be able to adjust the building as it shifts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
admittedly i have not gotten into any foundation design work in a permafrost region. Southern Canada has been my most northern experience in terms of actual projects worked on so i reserve the right to be totally out of the loop on design methods for those regions.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here is a portion of design criteria that goes into the permafrost methods needed.

https://books.google.com/books?id=U...%20in%20permafrost%20regions&f=false

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Tree species, slope, facing direction, etc?

I'm sure you know that all affects liklihood of permafrost

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The ridge where the property is located is east facing, towards the Talkeetna's and is not steep. I believe the previous owner said the ridge is a bit more than 400 feet above the water table and we could put in a septic if we wanted (I do not).

Not sure of the tree species, am thinking maybe cottonwood but not positive on that.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OK, then.

Pilings it is! wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 39 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,354
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.