Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by LKEYES
So I talked with Crispi and what they stated as the best treatment for their boots was Nikwax. Beeswax based treatments will clog the pores of the leather and won't allow the Goretex to work properly. Goretex is designed to allow a boot to breath but keep moisture out. When the leather gets clogged up, there ends up being a layer of moisture between the Goretex and the inside of the leather that can't go anywhere. I had heard this before, but could never verify it until I talked with the customer service rep at Crispi.

So now the question is has anyone used the Nikwax treat the before and how do you like the way it holds up to use?

Goretex is fine in light applications. But its not waterproof like they claim and its one of the biggest jokes out there in real wet weather IMHO>

I"d bee's wax em and not worry about the fact you had to pay for the goretex name in the boot...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Two questions after reading this thread:

Why not wool socks if your feet are bound to get wet? Wouldn't the wool keep them warm enough?

ANd yes, we wear a liner sock to get moisture away from the foot when sweating, poly pro of some type usually, followed by a wool sock.

I stepped off into a bog in Colorado once... it did not look like it could be much of anything, but with full pack on I"m glad it dropped off right away and that I grabbed a spruce sapling... my left foot never touched any bottom, and was up to my waist when I caught myself.

Water was cold in late September at 10K feet.

Wife and I were hiking out, and we went far enough that the pants and socks were basically dry by that evening. Cotton would not have been so friendly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used obenhaufs LP on many pairs of Meindls. So far I have had no issues. I use both the LP and in between treatments their boot oil as well.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Why not wool socks if your feet are bound to get wet?

Yes. Wool socks and wool liners. I have no use for poly anything. If I'm in snow and wearing my packs I fold the pant legs over the top and lace them to the boot. No snow makes it in and I can wade streams without a drop of water making it into the tops.

If wool socks do get soaked, take them off, ring or shake them out, suit back up, and one should be good to go.

On an elk hunt Cookie and I once undressed, put our packs on (sans liners and socks) and waded the waist deep Minam river to get out after bagging our elk. Used my t-shirt to dry the interior of our packs on the other side, put everything back together and on, and continued on our merry way.

Another deal if one is on an extended trip (like 14 to 21 days in the back country) is to take spares of everything that's truly critical. Boots/socks certainly fit that category if one does not have absolute faith in his equipment.

A friend tells a story of hiking back from an Alaska sheep hunt with duct tape holding the tops and soles of his boots together. Not a pleasant idea at all. ALWAYS get the best gear one can afford.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/24/15.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Use an antiperspirant on your feeties to reduce the sweat factor.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Backpacker Magazine did a review of several water proofing agents and Sno-Seal Beeswax was tops‎. Best I can recall, they weren't an advertiser like some of the other competitors either.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used Nikwax on a pair of Kenetreks at their recommendation. It was quite happy with it. The only downside I saw is that they had to be retreated a bit more often, but with the dauber/sponge bottle that was quite easy.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Funny that Kenetrek recommended Nikwax, since they sell a beeswax boot paste.

Ed T

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
to add, I have not been overly impressed with sno seal anything. Better than nothing, but not great.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mink oil

I'm not putting synthetics on my redwings.

You can always ignite kiwi paste wax, that will cause a chemical reaction in the Naphtha allowing a thinner carrier and more penetration of the base carnuba.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Problem with too much oil is it can overly soften the leather and cause the boot to lose structure.
My longtime favorite for all my leather boots is Montana Pitch Blend. It uses a mix of beeswax, mink oil and pine pitch.

Ed T

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Another vote for Pitch Blend.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by naturehunter
I have a pair off Crispis that I love and have worn for three years now and agree they're worth the investment. Although I've used Obenauf's in the past with good results I decided to use Kenetrek boot wax because Kenetrek claims it was specially formulated to ensure the rubber rand wouldn't separate from the leather. Although I have no proof that other waxes would be bad I can tell you that three years of kenetrek wax has worked great on my boots.

+1 for Crispis and Kenetrek Boot Wax. It just works for me!

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Crisco

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The big advantage of Crisco is it's easier to eat your boots when starving in the woods.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Didn't the Indians use beaver tail fat?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Funny that Kenetrek recommended Nikwax, since they sell a beeswax boot paste.
IIRC I bought the boots and got the recommendation in about '06 or '07. At that time, they sold the Nikwax and didn't sell the beeswax paste. The Nikwax cam in the box with the boots as I ordered them online.

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crisco probably works, to a degree, Vaseline too. However there are much better products for the task.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago, everyone was excited about a new product called Neverwet that was just coming on the market. It was put on with spray cans in 2 layers, a waterproofing layer followed by a protective layer. It would make water just bead up.
Now it's being sold by Rustoleum.

I tried it on an old pair of boots. What a joke. It left the boots mottled white to start with. Then it wore off within a day of hunting. It sure turned water when new but it didn't last long enough to get to the water. It was like wearing rubber boots. Water couldn't get in or out.

Now they have out a version made for fabrics but I'm not inclined to spend the money on it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
not a fan of sno seal. at all.
I am a fan of Obenauf's. Been using it for 5-6 years now. Havent seen a need to try anything else.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

596 members (1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,281
Posts18,448,568
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.