Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Howdy all. I've been searching the net and forum. Found lots of assorted opinions on the subject. Tumbler noise,media,cost,and so on. I've never really given it a good trial. Back in the late 70s,I bought a little Thumblers and some corn cob media. Didn't really have a clue. No guidance. I must have been all of 14,and Dad didn't hunt or shoot. So,here we are. A while back I bought some brass here in the classifides. It had been stainless pin tumbled and was like new. Got me to thinking. I figured the Fire crew could break this down the best.

If you had to start from scratch.

Only cleaned 300 pieces or less a year.

Price was no object.

Price is a BIG object. (on the cheap)

What would you all do?

Thanks a bunch!

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Otter6

Find a way to shoot more

Price is a BIG object. (on the cheap)

Use the Thumblers Tumbler you have and buy some small ceramic media. It'll do small batches and they'll look like new. Do a search for Dave Mauer. He sells it.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find a buddy that loads, have him tumble it for you.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by 16bore
Find a buddy that loads, have him tumble it for you.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he says.

On the other hand, I've got a Thumler's Tumbler that I bought in 1977 and still use to polish a couple of thousand cases a year. It really hasn't cost much on a per year basis.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yep, I have the Thumlers Model B. It consistantly gives me brass looking like this...

[Linked Image]

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Use the NRA formula of (2) 1 gallon milk/windshield washer fluid jugs, 1 squirt of dish detergent, 1 cup of vinegar and 1/4 cup of salt, add cases and fill w/hot water. shake/soak for about 10 minutes, pour liquid into another jug, rinse cases in hot water and air dry. Works great! can be reused lots of times and is fully biodegradable. I decap first. Muddy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since you already have the Thumbler, I would purchase some stainless steel pins and get after it.

I switched over to the stainless steel media a couple years ago and very glad I made that decision.

Good luck!

Goofy aka graybird on other forums

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning"
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
My old tumbler is long gone. It was the little rock polishing type,and 38 years was a long time ago. Not sure where it ended up. That's not to say it can't be replaced. I'll have a couple hours to kill tomorrow while my daughter takes her CNA test. Figured I would hit local gun and shooting emporium and look at case cleaning goodies. I don't do the huge quantities some folks do in a years time. I have however been buying more once fired stuff these days. Usually not de-primed and cleaned. It would be nice to be able to bring it back to like new condition.

Dang gandog56! It would be a shame to fire those and dirty them all up. Nice.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've used both the vibratory and SS methods.

If bringing the brass back to a like-new condition is what you want, SS pins are the way to go.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

For that many per year, I would get some Brasso, Iosso polish or such, micro fiber towel, primer pocket brush and a good brush for knocking the crud out of the necks and be done with it.

Swifty
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gandog56
Yep, I have the Thumlers Model B. It consistantly gives me brass looking like this...

[Linked Image]

Nice, what media do you use??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Swifty52

For that many per year, I would get some Brasso, Iosso polish or such, micro fiber towel, primer pocket brush and a good brush for knocking the crud out of the necks and be done with it.

That's what I've been doing. It will put a he!! of a shine on them. If you have the patience. Sitting down to 50 not so nice cases is loosing it's appeal.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buy a midway tumbler/brass separator combo. Cheap and it comes with media and polish and a bucket. I have cleaned more than 300 cases in a night with it.

O
Otter6 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I'll check that out K1500. Sounds like where I'm headed. The Cabelas kit is getting good reviews as well. The town where my daughter is testing has a Field & Stream and a Harbor Freight. I'll give them a look also to kill some time. I considered a Harbor Freight tumbler and some stainless pins as an option. Where is a good place to get stainless media?

Last edited by Otter6; 03/30/15.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just got the Cabela's kit, no complaints. IIRC Cabela's ups the warranty to lifetime. I used the NRA formula and/or brasso for several years prior and it's simple enough...

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got vibratory tumblers that work fine.

I sometimes use 5-gal pail, add a gallon or two of water depending on how much brass, dump in a cup or two of vinegar, a couple squirts of dishsoap, and some salt. I don't precisely measure the ingredients.

I let it sit a while stirring now and then. Then pour off the liquid and fill it up with a garden hose and stir/dump repeat a time or two to rinse it off. Let brass dry in the sun.

That works well for cleaning off all the old tarnish, carbon, etc. This method doesn't polish the brass, but it's nice and clean of tarnish and soot.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by gandog56

[Linked Image]

That's awesome.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Brasso weakens brass over time. Not good if you want to reload them plenty times!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
25 loadings and counting on my match brass. Wipe on, wipe off.

Swifty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What are stainless pins. powdr

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,333 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.