Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I heard you can rent a hunting rifle from your PH . . .

You can take a taxi to a car rental outfit to rent a car to get you to the airport, so you don't need to own a car.

You can rent a seat on an airplane to get you to your destination, so you don't obviously don't need an airplane.

You can rent a room in a motel once you get there until your PH takes you to the hunting area, so you don't need to buy a house or apartment in some foreign country.

Geez, it's all working out.

However, after saving for years to purchase a rifle or two for just such an occasion, weeks or months on load development and practice, why would I want to leave my firearms at home so I can rent something I'm not familiar with simply because of bureaucratic bullşit implemented with no other purpose than to make it as difficult as possible to bring my own firearms?

Especially if one has the intention of returning several times or has already been there and has already planned a return trip with their own firearms.

For that matter, why don't we all just sell our firearms and rent those we want to use when we feel like going hunting or out for a target practice day? Great plan.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Well, I've hunted SA with the outfitters rifle, and Namibia with my rifle. I intend to hunt Namiba again this year with my rifle. If it doesn't work out, then I'll use the outfitters rifle again. I really want to use my own, but it will take nothing away from the experience if I don't. Namibia is a great place, and if it means hunting with the outfitters rifle then that's OK by me.

This BS law does piss me off though. Steve Turner at TWG has assured me if this does become enforceable this time, he will secure the "new" permit for me.

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/23/15.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
16gauge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yup.....Obama said he "wasn't going after our hunting rifles"....guess it's just semantics; he isn't actually "taking them", just keeping us from "using them". mad

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Well put my money where my mouth is and wrote and called my congress woman and my senator Elise Stefanik and Kristen Gilliabrand . Elise got right back and Kristen sent me a form letter I didn't bother with Chuck shummer. He hates hunters and Gun owners, I urge everyone to do the same. I leave in Sept so I have Time. This law serves no purpose other then taking away from law abiding Hunters. Ps I had to drive 200 miles to get my 4457 I'm sure there are a lot of us out there

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by donsm70

You normally can, but somehow that is just not the same.

donsm70

It wouldn't float my boat. I've never Safaried but I imagine half the fun of it is practicing with your chosen Safari rifle in the months leading up to said Safari.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just received a return call from the Helena, MT BATF. I have posed the question regarding the new regulations and his advice was to take my 4457 forms that were filled out at the Kalispell, MT C&BP. He made reference to a form 57, not informed what this may be. He cautioned us to take all forms and other gear that we plan to take to RSA. This should take place this week and will post any information I may glean from C&BP. MTG

Last edited by MTGunner; 03/23/15.

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by donsm70

You normally can, but somehow that is just not the same.

donsm70

It wouldn't float my boat. I've never Safaried but I imagine half the fun of it is practicing with your chosen Safari rifle in the months leading up to said Safari.

This is exactly my point. I have been working up hand loads and practicing with my .338 Win Mag, 9.3x62 and .416 Rigby for RSA Cape Buffalo and Namibia Plains Game most of the winter. I'm not going until July/August, so hopefully this crap will be resolved by then.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's another way the Govt knows what you have.

Callin Varmints
16gauge Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The latest:

ICE UNFREEZES RULE THAT AFFECTS HUNTERS GOING ABROAD . . . U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) appears to have started enforcing a three-year old regulation that could have a serious impact on the hunting community. Under a requirement that has not been enforced since it was imposed in 2012, Americans travelling overseas with a firearm must file paperwork using the government's Automated Export System (AES) to register the "temporary export" of any firearm. The problem, which NSSF was the first to flag back in 2012, is that individual hunters cannot become certified by AES in order to file the necessary paperwork and obtain the required documentation that Customs is now requiring at the port of departure. With no national security purpose underlying this long-dormant requirement, NSSF is working toward a repeal of the regulation and will discuss the major concerns with State Department officials during a meeting this week.

I certainly hope that the NSSF can get this nonsense reversed....I'm more than just a little disappointed with the NRA and their concern/handling of this issue.....I guess AR15s matter more than hunter's firearms nowadays.

Last edited by 16gauge; 03/23/15.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
RAC Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Renting a rifle from your PH to hunt with is like taking a strange woman instead of your wife as a companion on a safari.

Oh wait! That didn't come out right! wink

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by 16gauge
The latest:

I certainly hope that the NSSF can get this nonsense reversed....I'm more than just a little disappointed with the NRA and their concern/handling of this issue.....I guess AR15s matter more than hunter's firearms nowadays.

I don't know how they are going to get this reversed any time soon, as this is the result of an Executive Order.

In the mean time, I guess folks will have to either (1) rely on a Customs Broker to complete the paperwork for you, or (2)sweet talk the CBP officer into manually entering the info into the computer database.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 03/24/15.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Don & all,
You are right, its not the same. However,I have not taken a firearm overseas in my last 6 trips. Too much hassle, expense and that gun sometimes is a boat anchor if you want to just play tourist after your hunt. Most firearms they give you are top shelf. Just ask. I have been handed rifles and shotguns I drool over in the advertising. Some places even let you use rifles and ammo for free, some ask you to pay for the ammo or buy it and leave what's left in the box. A few years back I learned (yes, the hard way) that taking a rifle and shotgun to a "hunter friendly" country ended up costing me more than the rifle had new and it's a nice rifle. Never again. More and more anti-gun, anti-hunter bull%#&* Just saying.
ODS

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have planned a trip to Quebec in May for bear.

Since this involves a rule change, I have called my congressman's office for help with this. Other hunters facing this problem should do likewise.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Moderator - I would like to suggest this be moved where it will get more exposure on the board.

These new requirements aren't just Africacentric. They affect and effect ALL hunting/sporting/target/competitive shooting firearms being temporarily taken out and back - period.

This includes just driving across the boarder to Canada and Mexico,

This needs maximum exposure and maximum actions and activity for anyone.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16gauge

The United STates just became the United Kingdom when it comes to flying with firearms! mad HOpefully anyone here headed to Africa this year will not end up in prison from our well intentioned "leaders" whistle
.....what a bunch of stupid rat bastards! mad

Actually, flying out of the UK with normal hunting firearms is relatively easy. In addition to your Firearm Certificate, the only Government paperwork at our end you need is a Temporary Export Permit from the Dept Trade and Industry if IIRC..When I applied for mine it was a couple of forms to fill in and the Permit came through in about 10 days..I even think it was free..

If your taking a firearm into Europe there is also a European Firearm Pass which again is a relatively painless process..

Hardest part is the Airline personnel which sometimes don't know (or claim not to know) the law/company rules but even they are usually not to difficult to deal with if you're clued up on the situation before flying..

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I too have a Canadian bear hunt coming up in June. This certainly looks to be a PITA. I got my EIN and registered for AES Direct.

Of course filling out the form looks like it takes a Ph.D and one always has to worry that you will do it wrong and not find out until your at the border.

This is yet another hurdle where an official of some sort can either be ignorant of their own rules or interpret some detail against you when time is critical and your resources are far away at home causing you to miss out on a expensive hunt.

Can a guide in Canada even loan a rifle to a client?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Good question, you should phone RCMP Firearms, 1-800-731-4000 and ask what the policy is.

Foreigners, including Americans, are allowed to possess Canadian Possession and Acquisition Licences, IIRC, and the above people can assist with this, should you be interested.

Some US hunters actually just leave a rifle in Canada at a friend's or relative's place or with a trusted GO.....this is the best option, IMO.

Obama and his ilk are just vile, but, we have plenty of the same kind here in The Great White North.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 72 invisible), 2,770 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.