Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Outdoor Life article stated that the first shot, chambered manually, will have a different poi than follow up shots chambered automatically because they do not seat the same. ??
Any experience with this?

I know that a clean barrel can cause a different poi for the first shot, but that is not what is in question here.

I always let the bolt fly from the rear when chambering the first round. Would that eliminate this difference, if it exists?

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Don't know if that is the cause for sure but the first shot out of my 740 in 280 is always about 1 1/2" higher than the group! Still within a MOE or MOD though!!!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Is the barrel clean for that first shot, and is there any oil in it?

Do you chamber the round gently or let it slam home?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
had a winchester mod. 100 in 308.it would always throw first shot out of the group clean or dirty barrel made know difference. next three shots would snug right up into a nice group. always suspected bedding.

Ed

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I always fire the 1st shot 3rd, to eliminate the problem.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I always fire the 1st shot 3rd, to eliminate the problem.

Good idea! I'll have give that a try. smile

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Clean or dirty it doesn't seem to matter.
Always let the bolt chamber the round w/ return spring pressure, ie let it slam.

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I do a ton of shooting of AR rifles and I have not noticed any difference in poi weather the round was chambered manually or automatically. I use one chambered in 243wssm for long range hunting and have had no issues.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
In two different BARS, a 30-06 and 300 Win, I have not seen a difference first to second shot.

-Z

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is my understanding that this is a common problem with some auto-loading firearms, whether they be rifles, pistols, or rimfire arms. It is not limited to any particular brand or model or caliber.

Sometimes the extent of the problem is small enough to be ignored, as Ulve said above. Sometimes it is significant and poses a real problem.

It has nothing to do with clean barrel versus dirty barrel, or oil in the barrel. Those are different causes and effects. I don't believe it has much to do with bedding, either.

Sometimes the problem is reduced or eliminated by letting the bolt slam home on the first round; sometimes not.

I have seen this problem in my own M-1 Carbine, in a friend's M-1911 .45, and in an older Marlin M-60 .22 rifle.

This potential problem is one of the "Con's" on the list of various Pro's and Con's of selecting a semi-auto action firearm.

I believe that sometimes a switch of ammo can reduce or eliminate the problem. If that didn't work I would trade the particular firearm in on something else.

Last edited by nifty-two-fifty; 03/28/15.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This comment was posted on another forum. Others agreed, but nobody seemed to have a good answer or solution.

EthanP
August 13, 2013 at 03:13

I can only say that most, but by no means all, of my semi-auto’s seem to have a different point of impact between the first round and the rest of the mag. I do’t know why. I never encounter this with a revolver.

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a different problem, but one that few people have considered, regarding semi-auto rifles:

Frank Crary (fcraryucsu.Colorado.EDU) wrote:

Why would the magazine effect accuracy?

Many M14/M1A competition service rifles do not shoot to the same point
with different magazines. The reason is the magazines do not pre-load
the receiver with the same amount of pressure at the same points for
each one. Tests have shown that some rifles will change point of impact
as much as 1 MOA between magazines. You need to get a few magazines that
let your rifle shoot to the same point of impact. Plus, it's difficult
to keep the magazine in exactly the same place from shot to shot. Other
tests have shown that M1A/M14 rifles shoot more accurately without the
magazine installed. Even the M1 Garand shoots better without a clip in
it; just used single-shot.

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
So, for a hunting rifle, zero your rifle by shooting one shot at a time, single-loading, and letting the bullet seat as you usually do.

Once zero'd, shoot three rounds from the magazine, to see where the next shots will group, in case a follow-up is needed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For some interesting reading, google "First Shot Flyer Problem".

You can read about this problem occurring in many different firearms, including Ruger 10/22s, so no particular model is guaranteed to be immune, it seems.

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If I had a rifle doing that the solution would be to get rid of the frigging thing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One solution I read concerning this problem as related to the M1 Garand is to apply a crimp when reloading. I have tried this and it seemed to improve the first shot out of group. Might try this. I believe the gun is recoiling rather than being manually operated affects the bullet impact.
358win

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Was the second shot from a cold barrel as well?

Had a few BARS and one would do that, but adding a piece of rubber under the fore-end screw was the cure.

Ruger 22...dang near perfect.

Defend the Constitution
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I handloaded for and shot a good bit a then new Remington 740 in 30'06 back in the late 50's and the early 60's. After a few years, I bought a Browning BAR in 7 Remingto Magnum. I also handloaded and shot rifle a good bit out to 300 yds. In the mid 70's, I had, and handloaded for a Colt AR-15 Sporter.
None of the above rifle shot high for their first shot. I did feed them from the magazine. I learned early on that trying to place a round in the chamber sometimes didn't allow me to easily close the bolt.
I've seen plenty of rifles shoot out of zero if the barrel was clean and heavily oiled. I've even seen rifles that were too clean shoot much larger groups until the barrel was fouled, but the zero was constant. But never a semi auto that threw the first shot. Don't think I know, or have known anyone, who has had that problem with a semi auto centerfire.
I have even seen one rifle that would change zero after 10-15 rds. That rifle had a cheap synthetic stock whose bedding would compress as it was fired. After having it glass bedded twice, I sold it. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In rifles it's usually due to a condition called "bolt overrun".

This happens when the difference between the front of the bolt and the back of the lugs is greater than about 2 thou less than the distance between the front of the lug seats and the face of the barrel.

Auto rifles are headspaced with the lugs bearing fully against the lugs seats. If that leaves a space between the front of the bolt and the barrel face greater than about 2 thou, the bolt sizes the cartridge down, changing headspace. This differently headspaced cartridge shoots to a different point of impact. The heavier the reciprocating mass, the more pronounced this effect.

On an AR, it's easy to feel this before you barrel just by sticking a bolt in the extension and seeing if you have any back-n-forth play when the bolt is in the locked position.

The cure is to get someone to do a better job installing the barrel.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BarryC,

Thanks for that good explanation. Many people recognize the problem; this is the first good explanation I have seen.

It has nothing to do with a clean and oily barrel or cold chamber vs hot chamber. This is a consistent first shot problem when the action isn't loaded by the recoil of the previous shot.

Thanks again for your input.

Nifty-250

Yogi Berra

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.