Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I had to make a gallon each of my Mango Madness sauce, the Guava Lava and the PDI (Papaya) sauce.
Had to hit 5 different stores to get all the ingredients. That is a pain in the butt. Guess no store has everything anymore. Catering to the 80% I guess, that want the same old chit.

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can get these side by side in the same store!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by calikooknic; 03/29/15.

Sean
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whole Foods or Publix would have had all the ingredients here Sam. If I don't find what I need there I hit the Int'l store.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
a good place to shop should not be taken for granted

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by byc
Whole Foods or Publix would have had all the ingredients here Sam. If I don't find what I need there I hit the Int'l store.

well not here. Had to hit the tienda de comestibles for guava shells and guava puree. Wards Grocery for produce, except they are out of Habanero peppers, Public for a few items, but they don't stock Papaya or Papaya nectar. Lucky Grocery for those items.
Drove all over the dang town. What a PITA.

Sam......

IC B2

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
actually, I do know the frustration you're talking about. Seems whenever I go to can or make anything in bulk I also wind up on all sides of town and several stores.

Go Nats!!!!

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wegmans has everything.....except grits

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Wegmans has everything.....except grits

Wegmans has grits (and everything else) down here. Suppose there's some law about shipping grits north of the Mason Dixon?

Love that store.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
You need a Super-HEB.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everytime I visit a Wegmans I fill out ALL the customer comment cards begging them to expand South!!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sam, when you're back down, check out Foodtown on Stirling and State Rd 84 next time you get to BassPro or in the neighborhood. For example, they've probably got 30 brands of rice of all types, 15 different brands of fish sauce and soy sauce, live eels, crabs, and so on. In addition to Asian, they've got a wide assortment of Caribbean and Spanish stuff, too.
And, it's the only place around I can find the brand of sambal I like.

Think cultural market on steroids.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of you whiners should have to live out here for a year or two and shop for groceries....give me a fuggin break cry laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by eh76
All of you whiners should have to live out here for a year or two and shop for groceries....give me a fuggin break cry laugh

This exactly...

Public landowner...
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Sam, when you're back down, check out Foodtown on Stirling and State Rd 84 next time you get to BassPro or in the neighborhood. For example, they've probably got 30 brands of rice of all types, 15 different brands of fish sauce and soy sauce, live eels, crabs, and so on. In addition to Asian, they've got a wide assortment of Caribbean and Spanish stuff, too.
And, it's the only place around I can find the brand of sambal I like.

Think cultural market on steroids.

I am going to try Food Town. I have been shopping a lot at Laurenzo's in North Miami Beach. That place is like going to Italy and Europe. Great meats and vegetables as well.

My quest though, at least this time, takes place in Gainesville. I am up in North Florida until the 10th, and then will be heading back to Miami for a couple of weeks. smile

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cinch
Originally Posted by eh76

This exactly...

A few here on the 24HCF would starve if they lived in our area. At the very least many of the foods they post here are simply not available.

I call it cultural cuisine modification.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try shopping for groceries up here sometime! Usually you can't find what you want if you live even semi remote and what they do have is SEVERELY overpriced! If I want a couple of regular old green bell peppers they are 2/$5, and I live in a pretty developed area. No such thing as fresh produce in the stores up here. Boneless chicken breast is $6/lb in the bulk packs.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My biggest gripe is produce. It's never even close to being ripe. Or it's on the verge of being rotten. Luckily I don't have to buy meat cause then I'd have another gripe. No such thing as fresh seafood. "Previously frozen" is the closest thing. No "real" bakery's. No "real" delis. We make do ok. I'm sure if that's all you knew you'd be ok with it...

Public landowner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have to agree with Wegmans.

Grew up shopping at one, went to college and shopped at probably the same one that dvdgeorge shops at, and 3 years ago, they opened one about 5 minutes from here for me.

Can't be beat for the variety of things that they sell.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Though Mannlicher, I'd be interested in sampling some of those sauces if you ever decide to go into business and sell them!

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
sadly, I find myself back in the commercial hot sauce biz. Did not want to do it, but with my son opening a new restaurant, and putting the stuff on his menu without telling me, I am snookered.
Made three gallons this week, and I guess I'll be up to 5 gallons a week before too long.
Had to spend $900 on a new Waring Commercial blender. Dang.

Sam......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,551
Posts18,453,584
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.