Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
Where is the best place to hunt Plains game?

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
With someone you trust. Welcome to the forum...

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Derek is a good guy he was our ranch manager/ guide on the recent campfire hog hunt.
My suggestion would be South Africa or Namibia for a 1st time plains game hunt, but there are many here with far more African experience than me and I'm sure they will chime in
Welcome to the campfire!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Namibia, hands down.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ingwe's trophy room. Otherwise RSA.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
"Plains game" is a catch all phrase.

What are you wanting to hunt?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Choose between Namibia, Botswana, South Africa and Mozambique.

Look for the best deal and just do it - be careful though, it can be addictive!

PS - click on my YouTube link below!

Last edited by Kudu11; 03/26/15.

This where I come from - http://youtu.be/KJr9jvsXFN4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm hardly an expert, but I have hunted both SA and Namibia. Here's my take:

South Africa--the vast majority of operators there operate on a "put and take" basis. They buy animals from auctions, etc, stock their farms, and sell the hunt, much like the high fenced areas in the Texas Hill Country. Ranches tend to be high fenced, and relatively small. There are exceptions of course. If you're interested in SA the first guy I'd holler at would be Marius at KMG. He posts here.

Namibia--much more like West Texas in that it can be somewhat mountainous, large ranches, some high fenced, many are not, vast majority not on put and take basis, seemed much less commercialized than RSA to me. Namibia is roughly twice the size of Texas with less than 2M people. I liked that too.

I personally like Namibia best. Doing the research is half the fun I think. I would never personally hunt with an operator that charges trophy fees on a sliding scale basis.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm hardly an expert, but I have hunted both SA and Namibia. Here's my take:

South Africa--the vast majority of operators there operate on a "put and take" basis. They buy animals from auctions, etc, stock their farms, and sell the hunt, much like the high fenced areas in the Texas Hill Country. Ranches tend to be high fenced, and relatively small. There are exceptions of course. If you're interested in SA the first guy I'd holler at would be Marius at KMG. He posts here.

Namibia--much more like West Texas in that it can be somewhat mountainous, large ranches, some high fenced, many are not, vast majority not on put and take basis, seemed much less commercialized than RSA to me. Namibia is roughly twice the size of Texas with less than 2M people. I liked that too.

I personally like Namibia best. Doing the research is half the fun I think. I would never personally hunt with an operator that charges trophy fees on a sliding scale basis.

This comment about RSA being mostly put and take is BS. Most animals are native to the farms where they are taken. Animals may be brought in to revitalize the genetics, but almost 100% of the animals are born on that farm and native to that area. Some area of RSA the animals are 100% native with no animals brought in for any reason.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
PM Sent

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"Hunting in Africa"
It is as much fun as you can have with clothes on---
Find a place and go--

Last edited by TBREW401; 03/26/15.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I would second the recommendation of Marius Goosen of KMG Hunting Safaris.

As for the put and take allegation, I think for some species, i.e., the less common and more expensive ones, it is at times true. There is not much reason to put and take things like wildebeest, impala, etc. as they breed readily.

Many South Africa game farms are small but there are a fair number that if put in the middle on a hot day you might die before getting out on foot. Do to South Africa games laws most farms are high fenced as when you have fenced in your property, the game within it is yours.

There are some species like bush pig, jackal, baboons, etc. that go under fences at will. Even though a property is high fenced, hunting them is essentially free range. One truly free range hunt I had was in some unfenced vineyards for grysbok.

I have never hunted Namibia. The hunting experience is probably better there but more expensive. Namibia also doesn't permit handgun hunting which is a deal breaker for me.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I hunted in the RSA (Limpopo Province) the first time, 6 years ago, and have plans to go to Namibia this summer. The RSA was fun, but Namibia looks and sounds great.

I will be more than happy to report back after the hunt.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Leaving for RSA April 17. I/we will hunt with Huntersgame Safaris for our third trip to RSA at Huntersgame. The Kudu jump the fence at will, the Warthogs burrow under the fence, the Giraffe merely step over the fence, the Cape Buffalo ram the fence, nothing keeping them in, and a myriad of smaller animals come and go as they please. BTW, Nihan Engelbrecht, the owner/PH has brought in white Rhino to help increase the species. Not huntable, but a thrill to get close to. We are taking our only grandchild, grandson, for this adventure as it is safe, the food top shelf, the wine great and a true adventure for all to remember. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I will be a little different. Having only hunted Mozambique, Zimbabwe, and Tanzania and never have hunted either Namibia or South Africa it is a little hard for me to comment on either of those countries.

However Coutada Nine in Mozambique (Mokore Safaris) has to be one of the best values for plainsgame. It will be a little more complicated than South Africa (An extra leg on the flight), and maybe a little more expensive but for me it is well worth the extra effort.

The area is several hundred thousand acres with no fences of any kind. The camp is East African style. The game is abundant with some of the best kudu and warthogs anywhere. There is also dangerous game in the area. Mokore is one of the finest companies in Africa.

Again just my humble opinion.

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like it will be a tough decision! Thanks again!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed my plains game hunts in South Africa. Particularly on larger properties with the big five. It is important to talk to your outfitter upfront and discuss what you are looking for.

I highly recommend Pieter Kriel.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I will be a little different. Having only hunted Mozambique, Zimbabwe, and Tanzania and never have hunted either Namibia or South Africa it is a little hard for me to comment on either of those countries.

[b]However Coutada Nine in Mozambique (Mokore Safaris) has to be one of the best values for plainsgame.[/b] It will be a little more complicated than South Africa (An extra leg on the flight), and maybe a little more expensive but for me it is well worth the extra effort.

The area is several hundred thousand acres with no fences of any kind. The camp is East African style. The game is abundant with some of the best kudu and warthogs anywhere. There is also dangerous game in the area. Mokore is one of the finest companies in Africa.

Again just my humble opinion.

Thanks for the heads up...I just contacted them! laugh

Last edited by sactoller; 03/29/15.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A few comments, from somebody who has only hunted plains game in four countries, which isn't a hell of a lot:

1) There is put-and-take high-fenced hunting in both Namibia and South Africa. It is more prevalent in some areas than others, and both countries offer free-range hunting. I have taken three kudu in RSA, for instance, and all were free-range.

2) Free-range, native-game hunting normally offers far fewer species, but in my experiences the hunting is more enjoyable. But some people like to lay 'em low. Know one guy who took 4 kudu bulls on one put-and-take shoot in RSA and the place finally told him that was enough.

3) Deciding on what animals you want is a good guideline to choosing an area, but once over there, many people inexperienced in African hunting find out there are animals they really want to hunt that they never expected to, once they're there.

4) In considering recommendations about countries, areas or operations, consider the experience of the person making the recommendations. Some have only hunted one country, or even one area in one country.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Namibia

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 18 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.