Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T-37 is not the oldest but it has been around quite awhile.
1954 to 2009. Wonder where they are now.
VNAF used to support us with them and they could fly very well.

Last edited by william_iorg; 03/27/15.

Slim
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The first operational B-52 was delivered in 1954. The first operational C-130 was delivered in 1956. Kind of comparing apples to oranges, the BUFF is a single purpose aircraft that was never exported while the C-130 has a multitude of variants and sold to numerous entities. The current BUFF (H model) was built between 1961~1963, would be interesting to see the age of the oldest C-130 still in service.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by JoeBob
In lots of ways, the performance of aircraft in the late 1950s wasn't all that inferior to those of today. Most of the advancement has been in avionics and weapons systems as opposed to outright raw performance.

I would imagine that given that in the space of about twenty years, the state of the art for a fighter aircraft went from 350 mph at 25,000 feet with three or four .30 caliber machine guns to Mach 2, 60,000 ft. ceiling, and missiles firing BFR, that designers of that era would be flabbergasted that current fighters are not closer to something from Buck Rogers than the things they designed back then.
It all depends on what you call "performance". If it's fast and squirrly, then yeah, you're right. But advancements have been in speed with low level stability, lower radar cross section, MUCH longer range, all weather, overall lifespan of the airframe, ease in maintenance, and ability to fly all day long, rotating out pilots. Those are some of the "performance" upgrades we have made.

But it's true that a F-15 isn't going to go a whole lot faster than an F-104. Service ceiling, rate of climb, and top speed are probably all pretty darned close. (I'm sure the F-15 is ahead in every category, but I doubt there are any huge differences).

All that is true but it is all of a evolutionary rather than revolutionary nature. Consider the designs of the late 1950s and early 60s like the F-108 Rapier, the XB-70, the A-12 and SR-71. The performance of those designs has never been equaled, or in some ways even approached since then.

Sure, advances in missile technology made those designs dead ends but in lots of ways, designs like the F-16 and F-15 represented regressions, or scale backs in ambitions. Designers realized that lots technology needed for those other designs hadn't caught up to reality and while they were great advancements, the F-16 and F-15 were designed to fight in ways that the designers of the 1950s thought was going to be long gone by then.

Like I said, those guys given the advancements they had seen and the designs they were working on BACK THEN, would probably be surprised and disappointed that in 2015 there weren't bombers cruising a Mach 10 at 120,000 feet or space planes taking passengers from New York to Tokyo in 2 hours.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by djs
YB-52 (B-52 prototype) first flew in 1952.

The U-2 first flew in 1955 and is still serving.

The B-57 entered USAF service in 1953; it was a version of the English Electric Camberra bomber which first flew in 1949. The B-57 was manufactured by Martin Aircraft. It's been retired for several years.

the B-52 is still serving and therefo4re is the longest serving AF plane.

The US Government (NASA or the CIA) still operate three WB-57's that fly high altitude missions over Afghanistan ..

Pete, I view the WB-57 as a different plane than the B-57.
True, it has a (greatly modified- B-57 fuselage, but the wings, engines (4 in place of 2),carry-through structure, wtc. are all different. Here's NASA's site on the WB-57: http://jsc-aircraft-ops.jsc.nasa.gov/wb57/

Where did you get your info on the WB-57R or any version with 4 engines? I couldn't find that info on your link.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

All that is true but it is all of a evolutionary rather than revolutionary nature. Consider the designs of the late 1950s and early 60s like the F-108 Rapier, the XB-70, the A-12 and SR-71. The performance of those designs has never been equaled, or in some ways even approached since then.

Sure, advances in missile technology made those designs dead ends but in lots of ways, designs like the F-16 and F-15 represented regressions, or scale backs in ambitions. Designers realized that lots technology needed for those other designs hadn't caught up to reality and while they were great advancements, the F-16 and F-15 were designed to fight in ways that the designers of the 1950s thought was going to be long gone by then.

Like I said, those guys given the advancements they had seen and the designs they were working on BACK THEN, would probably be surprised and disappointed that in 2015 there weren't bombers cruising a Mach 10 at 120,000 feet or space planes taking passengers from New York to Tokyo in 2 hours.

The performance hasn't been equaled that you know of. There are a lot of things that aren't made known to the public for obvious reasons. The Blackbird officially didn't exist for a very long time.

I flew the F/A-18 for a while in the mid-90's. I can tell you that there is a very large capability differential between a 1960's era fighter and what we fly now. Raw speed, maybe not so much, but that's not where the combat capabilities of an aircraft lie. The advancements in avionics and weaponry are staggering. The precision of targeting compared to what was available then allows you to do with one JDAM what would have taken multiple sorties to accomplish back then, all with little collateral damage. The advancements in stealth and radar technology are amazing, there's so much information available to a pilot now that wasn't in the older aircraft that it's almost overwhelming trying to process it all in a fluid environment. I really can't emphasize enough how much more capable the later generation F/A-18's, F-15's, F-16's, F-22's, and F-35's are over their predecessors. It's night and day.

If raw speed is what impresses you then you likely won't see the differences, but trust me they're there. Nobody has seriously challenged American air superiority since the Vietnam era, there isn't anyone capable of it.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I flew the F/A-18 for a while in the mid-90's. I can tell you that there is a very large capability differential between a 1960's era fighter and what we fly now. Raw speed, maybe not so much, but that's not where the combat capabilities of an aircraft lie. The advancements in avionics and weaponry are staggering. The precision of targeting compared to what was available then allows you to do with one JDAM what would have taken multiple sorties to accomplish back then, all with little collateral damage. The advancements in stealth and radar technology are amazing, there's so much information available to a pilot now that wasn't in the older aircraft that it's almost overwhelming trying to process it all in a fluid environment. I really can't emphasize enough how much more capable the later generation F/A-18's, F-15's, F-16's, F-22's, and F-35's are over their predecessors. It's night and day.

Now, actually go read my original post on the subject and see how unnecessary all that was you just wrote. As in I said this:

In lots of ways, the performance of aircraft in the late 1950s wasn't all that inferior to those of today. Most of the advancement has been in avionics and weapons systems as opposed to outright raw performance.

Last edited by JoeBob; 03/27/15.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
IIRC they did some flight testing of a radio controled F-16 out of Hickam AFB back in the early '70s. The airframe could sustain a higher G turn rate without damage than a human body can tolerate.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Now, actually go read my original post on the subject and see how unnecessary all that was you just wrote. As in I said this:

Sorry, I didn't recognize your brilliance in the matter. Carry on.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
When all is said and done, I'd almost bet it'll be the C-130... and if not in longevity at least in hours flown. Currently I think there is 92 of 744 B-52's left with the newest having been built I believe in 1962, and if plans are met she'll be around until around 2040 making her some 78 years old when retired. But you have to remember these remaining B-52's are continually being climbed all over being maintained, upgraded and tweaked. Yet the average hours flown are only some 250 hours a year and the average plane only having some 13,000 hours!

Don't have the specs on the C-130 as to average hours flown per year and totals. But I'd suspect that its much higher and with many more as a percentage left of those built, not to mention I believe they're still building them or were at least until recently.

The C-130 is a workhorse that I believe will be around way past the last remaining 52's.

Phil

Phil

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunGeek
[
But it's true that a F-15 isn't going to go a whole lot faster than an F-104. Service ceiling, rate of climb, and top speed are probably all pretty darned close. (I'm sure the F-15 is ahead in every category, but I doubt there are any huge differences).

Although the old fighter pilot adage of "speed is life" certainly holds true, there is a world of difference between those two. Climb rates I'm sure are close (although I'm pretty sure the Eagle still holds the "0-100K" climb record, the 104 was a loser as a fighter. Horrible turn rate/radius, limited A-A armament and radar... Back to speed, mach 1.5 or even 2 won't help much when a AIM-9 or AAMRAM is coming at you a 5+. Then there's the F-22 and there, NOTHING even comes close in every valid measure of effectiveness as a fighter...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 1986 I got a request for quotation to upgrade the B52s with new power supplies in the equipment rack. They wanted 100 different outputs. There was plenty of room. They wanted full up air force mil spec, so these would be very expensive power supplies to design.

I started to write a proposal, but management said to stop. They said we had two dozen engineers and we would need twice that many.

So I failed to respond. The customer called me up and screamed at me. No companies had responded to the RFQ. It was too big a job for our competitors too.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (163dm, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 64 invisible), 3,043 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.