Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Lots of superlight free float tubes, I was thinking the DD slim rail with the way it fastened might be pretty stiff relative to some of the others. Don't want a quad rail. Anyone use the DD slim rail, was thinking a 15 inch rail.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've tried the Noveske NSR, handled the DD, but prefer the BCM.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Grand
I've tried the Noveske NSR, handled the DD, but prefer the BCM.

Yep. I have both the Noveske NSR and BCM KMR. I much prefer the way the BCM mounts up.

If I were to buy something today, it would be another BCM or a Geissele. SLR also makes a decent rail nowdays.

Last edited by wareagle700; 03/29/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m still running Hogue AL tubes.. reasonable and I stick a rail piece here or there where I need it. Not all the dang rails all around and rough on your hadns and you are paying for them too.

But its just the way I do it. Doesn't mean its right.

Have one carbon fiber tube I can't recall who its from, on a hunting AR. I really like that tube. Its nice and light.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Geiselle is very proud of their rail at $500 and it's pretty heavy as well.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've yet to find an issue with my Troy Alpha rails but I've not handled any of the keymod rails. I have an SPR with an old school JP tube that I've thought about changing. I'll be paying attention here too and would appreciate the why and how that makes them better.

Last edited by TWR; 03/29/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Geiselle is very proud of their rail at $500 and it's pretty heavy as well.

They make several different ones, not all are $500. Most of them are in the $300 range.

TWR,

I've also had two JP handguards and a Troy and while they were good, the rails mentioned above are slim, lighter weight, and I like how the BCM, SLR, and Geissele barrel nuts don't require indexing and have anti rotation / alignment tabs. It might not be worth it to you to replace yours but if buying new I would strongyl suggest those three.

Last edited by wareagle700; 03/29/15.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have an AP Customs carbon fiber and love it. I have had it awhile but if I remember right it was $240.00.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What is it about the high dollar tubes that "you" have to have? To make it work for your ways?

Competiton I can totally see. Its a specific game.

If your life is on the line I"d be dang sure about what I needed and cost would not be an issue.

Beyond that, and yes I'm utilitarian, I just don't get all the bells and whistles.

Something for a bipod. And a light. And scope mounting. Possibly a backup laser. But not all the 45 degree canted HU sights and such...

Never seen a deer I couldn't shoot wtih a bare tube. Probably truth be told wihtout a float tube.

Never shot a yote yet at night wiht a light on the gun, have used other lights for so long its second nature... but one day I will get a short gun for the house specifially with a green LED light for night stuff.... yotes and the like so I don't have to pop on my headlight.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The deal for me is something that would be ridged and stable, something pretty tough

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
I just don't get all the bells and whistles.

Some guys like cars, some like golf, some of us like guns. If I sold everything that I didn't "need" I would loose about 90% of whats in my gun room. I don't mind spending more for better quality and that doesn't just apply to guns for me. I could get by with much less but where is the fun in that?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Have/do use them all.

Skip the hassle-

Geissele

ALG Defense.

BCM KMR.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just helped a buddy bolt together a lightweight build last night.

He used the BCM KMR with a V7 titanium gas block and their titanium barrel nut.

The rail, nut and gas block only weighed 7.1oz.

Talk about light, i see similar in my future

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Just helped a buddy bolt together a lightweight build last night.

He used the BCM KMR with a V7 titanium gas block and their titanium barrel nut.

The rail, nut and gas block only weighed 7.1oz.

Talk about light, i see similar in my future

But will it stand up to a tight sling?

Islam is a terrorist organization.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
my question as well. I look at these newer very light rails and they look somewhat flexible, if your front sight is mounted on one and you press down on it the sight may go up, or the rail could come in contact with the gas block as an extreme, perhaps one has to spend $500 for a 15 inch rail...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
my question as well. I look at these newer very light rails and they look somewhat flexible, if your front sight is mounted on one and you press down on it the sight may go up, or the rail could come in contact with the gas block as an extreme, perhaps one has to spend $500 for a 15 inch rail...

The ones mentioned above are no more flexible than any other good rail on the market. I can't imagine them holding up to the abuse of a sling though, that's just crazy talk. wink

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Have/do use them all.

Skip the hassle-

Geissele

ALG Defense.

BCM KMR.

I saw the ALG video he had, looked pretty cool.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't believe I haven't seen it mentioned yet, midwest industries gen 2 ss, light and slim and can do whatever you need it to do. if you want to spend less the nordic free float tube is also good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This comes down to what feels and looks the best to you . My favorite of all the float tube is Midwest SS-2. I have this on all my AR's except one.

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=268

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
watching the Geissele install sold me on it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love MI's stuff for the most part but its not really light and it appeared the OP wanted as loght as reasonably possibly.

The MI 13" rails is almost exactly twice what the KMR 13" weighs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
I can't believe I haven't seen it mentioned yet, midwest industries gen 2 ss, light and slim and can do whatever you need it to do. if you want to spend less the nordic free float tube is also good.

Plus 1!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TWR
I've yet to find an issue with my Troy Alpha rails but I've not handled any of the keymod rails. ... I'll be paying attention here too and would appreciate the why and how that makes them better.

Ditto!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
I've yet to find an issue with my Troy Alpha rails but I've not handled any of the keymod rails. I have an SPR with an old school JP tube that I've thought about changing. I'll be paying attention here too and would appreciate the why and how that makes them better.

Troy is tops and deserves all the support firearms owners can give them.

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=8860

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=8842

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've been eyeballing the Troy Alpha for govt profile barrel I have laying around. The rifle length tube looks to be a little lighter than the issue handguards.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I've been eyeballing the Troy Alpha for govt profile barrel I have laying around. The rifle length tube looks to be a little lighter than the issue handguards.

Sounds like a perfect fit for someone like you.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
sherp,

I rate you high in consistency, your posts are always of the same value.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by sherp

Sounds like a perfect fit for someone like you.

sherp,

With Larry Root gone, you have no one to take/consider what you have to say. What a bummer, huh? Tool.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sherp,

I always support those who support LE and few companies do quite like Troy. I also like Armalite and HS Precision for the same reason.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally, I like quad rails.
They fit my hand perfectly. When carrying, my fingers grip between the 6 and 9 rails. With ladder covers of course.
No whiz bang crap hanging off either. Just a sling/bipod attachment.
And they're cheap!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sherp,

I always support those who support LE and few companies do quite like Troy. I also like Armalite and HS Precision for the same reason.

Doesn't LE enforce those nasty firearms restrictions the Republicans voted in? smirk

Islam is a terrorist organization.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You might want to look at the Seekins SP3R V3 MOD RAIL. At $225 not that expensive. I have a 15" on my yote gun and works well if you are using it as a rest.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BarryC
sherp,

Doesn't LE enforce those nasty firearms restrictions the Republicans voted in? smirk

They are only nasty when made law by democrats and then only while democrats are in power.

Laws like the Reagan MG ban and AP ammo ban along with the 1989 and 2005 Bush bans on imported semi-autos are great from day one since they are Republican in nature. Once democrats get voted out of office their anti-gun laws then become our laws since our candidates don't repeal them once they have control.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For the money I really like my Midwest ask keymod. It's lightweight and narrow with a good feel and the keymod system gives you lots of options. The built in spots for a skins stud are nice too.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wareagle700

Yep. I have both the Noveske NSR and BCM KMR. I much prefer the way the BCM mounts up.

So, is there something you don't like about the Noveske NSR or is just that you like the BCM better?

MM

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I like SLR Rifleworks float tubes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by wareagle700

So, is there something you don't like about the Noveske NSR or is just that you like the BCM better?

MM

The NSR is a good rail. The installation is just a PITA and if you want he anti-rotation feature you have to drill your receiver for the indexing pin. The BCM KMR does not require indexing a barrel nut, has an alignment / anti-rotation tab, and I like the feel of the rail better. Overall I just like the KMR better. Nothing wrong with the NSR once it's on.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the BCM KMR. Easy to mount. Very stiff very light

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I'm running the 14" Barnes...
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My newest rail is the Centurion Arms C4 and i have been super happy with it. My 14" version weighs 9.5 oz so not the lightest but is very thin at 1.5" OD and is very rigid.

M
M
Love Geissele and their super light Al barrel nut. I have a MK1 on my 300 BO that I got from Bravo Company. Now Geissele is making M-Lok and Keymod rails. Really nice stuff.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I am satisfied with the BCM KMR, easy installation, very stiff, very light weight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (6mmCreedmoor, Akpilot, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,621 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,516
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.