Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Hi: Does anyone know how to interpret the 4 symbols on the front of the receiver below the feed tube. This is a 29 A with round barrel, grooved receiver, and checkered stock and forend. I understand Savage quite serializing these firearms sometime just before production was ceased.

Thanks

Jerry

NRA Endowment Life Member
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What are the symbols?

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
An arrow pointing to the right, another arrow pointing to the right, but this one has like a crescent moon and punch mark over the middle of it. Then what appears to be a lower case r, and then an upper case G.

Thanks

Jerry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably assembly codes as were used on the 99's when they stopped using SN's on the butt plates and other parts.

Do we know when this practice started? Some time in the 50's wasn't it?

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The early 29A's had a serial in that location. Sometime after Savage moved from Utica to Chicopee the serial was dropped and the code marking started (about 1951). I have no idea if there was any meaning to it that would relate to a date.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If the 'date codes' on 29-A & -B barrels are actually date codes, as seems to be the consensus, then serial numbers were probably dropped when production of 29-A's started at Chicopee Falls. I have seen un-serial numbered 29-A's that are without a date code, with an A (1949) date code and a B (1950) date code, also 29-B's with a B date code and all 29-B's are without a serial number. The barrel address used was still Utica until 1950 based on seeing examples of B date code 29-A's with Utica and Chicopee Falls.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
The only thing I can find on the barrel, is the Chicopee Falls address. Nothing else. While the rifle is in very good shape, it is now very patina. The butt plate has a white line spacer, as does the grip cap, if that helps. Thanks for the responses. I learn a little more each time something like this comes up.

Jerry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gene:

The small alpha numeric code inside an oval or what is called the lever boss code for the 99's does show up on some post 1949 22's in addition to the 99's. Haven't seen enough to say all.

I think the OP is talking about the 4 character code used when Savage dropped the sn's on 22 and used this same type of code on the 99's. Of course the 99's had a SN but at some point they stopped putting it on the buttplate, buttstock and fore end and used the codes instead. It also shows up on the lower tang of the 99. It was a mix of letters, numbers and symbols but usually 4 of them IIRC.

I don't know if they really meant anything other than as an assist in assembly, maybe.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by steve99
Gene:

The small alpha numeric code inside an oval or what is called the lever boss code for the 99's does show up on some post 1949 22's in addition to the 99's. Haven't seen enough to say all.

I think the OP is talking about the 4 character code used when Savage dropped the sn's on 22

I agree, my mention of the date codes was only to use them to help date the dropping of the serial numbers and the start of the use of the symbols. If his gun has a Chicopee address barrel I think it should also have a date code (on the barrel) and if it is original to the 29-A I think it should be 'B' for 1950, but all I have seen with checkered wood have been Utica, but I have not seen many 29-A's without serial numbers.

Jerry, you mention that the butt plate has a white spacer as does the grip cap, neither sound correct, in fact I have never seen one that even has a grip cap before. If the stock is original it should be stamped under the butt plate with the same symbols that are on the receiver.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jerry, you mention that the butt plate has a white spacer as does the grip cap, neither sound correct

Sounds like someone was reading some late '60s to '70s gun mags and found the page that said "you can cut white bleach bottles to make white line spacers." Life goes on. grin

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Who knows about the stock. But it does have a grip cap, and a white line spacer under butt plate and grip cap, as I said. Also, based on what you all have said, it should have a barrel stamp other than the address, it does not, as well as the stock and forend having checkering. As most of you have mentioned, it should be plain wood with a round barrel. I do know the rifle came from New Jersey or Pennsylvania. I'll look under the burr plate, to see if the stock is stamped, if not as you said, it has probably been replaced.

Last edited by JerryEden; 04/01/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gene:

Reread what you wrote above regarding the 29A date codes you have seen. I'm surprised to see that you have found 29A's into 1950. Interesting, didn't think they ran that long after the war.

JerryEden:

If you rifle doesn't have a date Code it should be prior to 1949. The date code is alpha/numeric and stamped inside a small oval. Usually near the joint between the frame and barrel I think. It could be a light stamp. Not at home and can't go look.

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
After reading all your posts, I now believe this is some kind of "whorehouse" put together rifle. While it operates perfectly, and is accurate, it seems to have a few other anomalies. The front sight does not sit flush on the round barrel. The stock has no numbers or symbols under the butt plate. And even if it is an early 29-A, what about the grooved receiver and round barrel. Is it possible, Savage put this together as a parts gun to reduce inventory, which many manufactures did at the end of a model cycle? Who knows, but fun to mess with anyway. Thanks for all the posts.

Jerry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is another option. It could be a "lunch box special." That would pretty much fit in with your "whorehouse special."

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,648 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,992
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.