Hop To
n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only thing I could agree with in the article is that moose numbers are going down in large parts of BC.

IME moose numbers are up in south central BC where clear cutting has been unsustainably vast and has increased browse brush moose food.

Moose numbers are down in parts of northern BC where I've hunted enough years to compare, and down in some central areas. In both places wolf populations have grown rapidly, to where on one trip I think we saw more wolves than moose.

I leave the dots above to be connectd by my betters.

A friend who has some inside connections told me that in Northern BC, due to tree and wolf hugger media politics, some game managers have decided to let wolf populations peak, moose populations crash and then rebuild in a hopefully saner managment climate. Hearsay.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Moose pops were going up in south central bc but seemed to be on the decline again.
The issue of parasites, pine beetle, and suitable browse, could of been taken care of if man didn't intervene in the issue of wildfires, but thats not realistic in todays world.

If they would block access to fire area's to keep hunters out then that would have a spiralling outward effect on the area's surrounding some of these massive wildfire zones, instead they create more access and everyone drives in and shoots them.

Wolves use the new roads like super-highways which criss cross the landscape and the moose simply dont have a chance, you can see them for 10km.

Its another way for the government to waste more time and money, its already been established to death why/what has happened to declining moose/muledeer pops. Theres too much at stake to block off roads as they need the roads open to haul logs, to do silviculture work etc.

They dont care to much about small potatoe ungulate pops when they know its a renewable resource that can be brought back with relative ease and probably within a 5-10 year period,, they will stall in the meantime.

Expect resident hunters to get smeared with the same brush by the non-hunting community (activists) as they get blamed for another good reason not to hunt, then the resident hunters can blame the indians, wolves, etc for another round of finger pointing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In NW Montana the moose used to own the logging roads. Now the wolves do. smirk

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
145 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,439 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.