-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been threatening to get some layers for years, now. Gotta scratch up the $$ for a coop and enclosure first, though. I think it'd be a good thing for my kids to experience having some kind of livestock to care for and benefit from.

That coop and enclosure, though. We've got 'coons, skunks, weasels, opossums, foxes, coyotes and lots of raptors, though, so nothing half-assed will do for an enclosure.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
My Mom and Dad let me order, keep and sell 24 "rare breed" Easter chicks from Murray McMurray when I was in 6th grade......in a refrigerator box on the porch off the kitchen. Great experience, made a few bucks.....and got most of them back when they grew up! Still smile every time I see the spring chicks at the local feed store.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Are those California Whites and Black Orpingtons??? And where did you get them?? I have 10 egg layers. Five are going on three years old and will be getting rid of those . I get mine from Sunnyside or Abendroths in S.E. WIs. I will be getting a few more and will try California Whites this time around. I am sure your neice will like them and hope the best for her dad.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My last order of chickens was from McMurray- I hadn't used them in over 10 years. I ordered Mediterranean breeds on their advice. I raised them to 6 weeks and distributed them to some buddies. In a year we got no more than a dozen eggs out of all of them combined. The feedstore chickens were laying like crazy. McMurray customer service were complete jerks to me. I will never order from them again. Just did an order at Privett.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Bear bait for the yard up here - well- in my southern home on the Kenai - pass.

Grew up raising chickens and damnedturkeys in NoDak. I miss real eggs and poultry meat!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got 28 eggs today. You can only eat so many eggs and selling them is a pain in the butt. I need to get rid of some hens.

Don't believe everything you think.

You ain't learnin' nothin' when you're talking.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was really praying one had made it down to Florida or Cabo for spring break.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
Are those California Whites and Black Orpingtons??? And where did you get them?? I have 10 egg layers. Five are going on three years old and will be getting rid of those . I get mine from Sunnyside or Abendroths in S.E. WIs. I will be getting a few more and will try California Whites this time around. I am sure your neice will like them and hope the best for her dad.

http://www.chickensforbackyards.com/Brown-Egg-Layers_c24.htm

You can custom order from this company, or in this case I asked them to mix for a potluck delivery.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
My last order of chickens was from McMurray- I hadn't used them in over 10 years. I ordered Mediterranean breeds on their advice. I raised them to 6 weeks and distributed them to some buddies. In a year we got no more than a dozen eggs out of all of them combined. The feedstore chickens were laying like crazy. McMurray customer service were complete jerks to me. I will never order from them again. Just did an order at Privett.

I have heard a lot of things about pure bread ,, more exotic egg layers. Most always they do not put out eggs to the degree egg layers should. I actually get a mix breed that is part Rhode Island Red and Black Astrolop. They crank out eggs, nd going on 3 yrs this July they seem to be doing ok, but not like a 1 yr chicken. One thing I can agree with the other poster,, those egss are far superior to store bought but I just cant eat that many as much as I like those orange yoke free range eggs. And yes,,, selling them is a pain so I give them to the neighbors and customers. Then in Winter we cant buy an egg from my chickens...

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Then in Winter we cant buy an egg from my chickens...

Put a light on a timer in the hen house.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sister has chickens. She has a Bantam rooster and he is the boss of the yard. At a towering about 7 inches tall. First one in the morning on top of the coop to crow. She named him Napoleon. She has 2 full size roosters that don't mess with him. It's the funniest dynamic ever. i keep telling her one of the big roosters is going to kill him someday but it hasn't happened yet

Last edited by k20350; 03/29/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you really want some egg layers, check out Khaki Campbell ducks. They will outlay any chicken by 40 to 50%. Duck eggs are slightly different than chickens but not that much.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My sister raised some of those ducks a few years ago and they were very aggressive. Her kids would not attempt to collect the eggs. Before too long the ducks were on the chopping block.

Our family does not especially care for the taste of duck so we don't raise them anymore. When the laying hens don't lay enough eggs to justify the feed, they go on the chopping block. A stewing hen satisfies the palates here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a buddy with a serious allergy to duck eggs. It took several years to decipher, but every time there was an office gathering/pot luck he'd nearly crap and belch his brains out. Finally tracked it down to one lady who used duck eggs in her baked goods.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My wife can't handle duck or goose eggs either. We were eating both for a while and she was having all kinds of problems until we tracked down the problem. We still have a few geese but we let them raise the goslings for meat.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My neighbor had a little mini-farm at his place. He had geese, turkeys, duck and chickens. He gave me all manner of eggs. We ate them all with adverse effects. Turkey eggs were the mildest.

I have never successfully raised any white egg layers that laid but several hundred brown egg chickens over the years as well as some green/blue egg layers of unknown breeding. I had really good luck with Dominiques laying nearly year rounds and gave as many as 320 eggs a year. Australorps were pretty good too.

NRA Benefactor Member

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
320 is more than mine do. Mine stop in winter though/.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by roundoak
My sister raised some of those ducks a few years ago and they were very aggressive. Her kids would not attempt to collect the eggs. Before too long the ducks were on the chopping block.

Our family does not especially care for the taste of duck so we don't raise them anymore. When the laying hens don't lay enough eggs to justify the feed, they go on the chopping block. A stewing hen satisfies the palates here.

They go great in gumbo.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
320 is more than mine do. Mine stop in winter though/.

I run the light in the coop until 9pm all winter. That makes the difference.

NRA Benefactor Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Roundoak, what's your survival rate on those chicks so far?

Thank you

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

398 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.