Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
tatsoul Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Majority of my hunting is inside of 400 yards.I currently have a 42mm Zeiss Terra that i hate,The low light capability on this scope is Not very good and last year i missed a good shot on a NICE deer because i couldnt see him in that last 10 minutes of light.
I have a Tikka .308 and plan on using the DNZ mounts.My brother has the DNZ and i really like the setup.
Im deciding between 3 scopes right now and my question is how much difference is there between the Sworvoski Z3 glass and the Z5.I really like the Z3 50mm
But also like the 44mm Z5.Im just wondering is the glass really worth 500 dollars more.I do alot of hunting in clear cuts so using the BT reticle is no problem since i already range out where im hunting and can adjust the turret pretty quick to make the shot.
My biggest issue is the last 10 minutes of daylight and having the glass to see.Im just wondering if the 50mm Z3 will be as bright as the 44mm Z5 and are the BT turrets reliable for returning back to zero.
My other scope choice would be the Zeiss 50mm HD5 but i really dont want another zeiss.
Any opinions would be really appreciated cause i just ordered a new walnut stock for this gun and want to get the scope this week.My total budjet on glass is 1600 total.

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Get a 6x42 Leupold or Meopro.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
T
tatsoul Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Get a 6x42 Leupold or Meopro.
Not interested in Leupold whatsoever.Ive looked thru them and not impressed.Had some Leupold Binos that filled up with moisture and could not even see out of them.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I didn't tell you to get Leupold binoculars.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think perhaps he needs the most expensive thing Swarovski makes, or perhaps a Schitt and Blender Hubble model....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So far in my comparison the only scopes to last longer, in low light testing, than a z5 Swarovski were two Nightforces. The only scope of lesser cost to match the z5 is the VX-6 Leupold, but you don't want a Lupie, so that leave the VX-6 out. To me the z5 is definitely a step up from the z3.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I can't fathom a Zeiss not being bright enough with 10 minutes of shooting left. Might be money well spent to visit an optometrist

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
tatsoul Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I can't fathom a Zeiss not being bright enough with 10 minutes of shooting left. Might be money well spent to visit an optometrist
Its a 42mm Zeiss Tera.Its like the low budget version and my second year using it and i want to upgrade.I looked thru a swarvo before and was extremely impressed.Was just wondering if someone has used both the Z3 and Z5 if the Z5 was better in a low light situation.

I guess if all Zeiss scopes were created equal than i would need to visit the eye doctor and other scope companys would be out of business.
Thank you for you guys time.Ill look elsewhere for opinions with less smart ass comments and answers to the question.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
tatsoul,

For your needs I would go with a Z5 over a Z3. The Z3's are good scopes and optically above average, but not any more so than a bunch of other scopes.

Magnification has a lot to do with perceived brightness at longer ranges, to a certain point. But you also need to pick a reticle that will show up in dim light. A lot of modern scopes are great optically but the reticles are too thin in dim light.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tatsoul,

You wrote: "I currently have a 42mm Zeiss Terra that i hate,The low light capability on this scope is Not very good and last year i missed a good shot on a NICE deer because i couldnt see him in that last 10 minutes of light."

This article in the Rifleman does not agree.

" After adjusting the focus, the Terra rated a solid 7, the same as all the Conquests tested"

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2014/3/11/zeiss-terra-3-9x-42-mm-review/

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tatsoul
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Its a 42mm Zeiss Tera.Its like the low budget version and my second year using it and i want to upgrade.I looked thru a swarvo before and was extremely impressed.Was just wondering if someone has used both the Z3 and Z5 if the Z5 was better in a low light situation.

I guess if all Zeiss scopes were created equal than i would need to visit the eye doctor and other scope companys would be out of business.
Thank you for you guys time.Ill look elsewhere for opinions with less smart ass comments and answers to the question.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They are so easy to sniff out.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Window licker.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Look at the Swaro before purchase and make sure the reticle is thick enough.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For under $1600 I would be looking for a used Swaro Z6 2-12x50 (TDS reticle if you can find one).

Great scope, and what I used on my Tikka with DNZ mounts (medium).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Eric

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Not sure how one could recognize how good a deer was, with the naked eye, and NOT see it much better (at last legal), with almost ANY decent scope these days. Leupold, Burris, Sightron, Vortex, Nikon, Minox, Zeiss, even Bushnell......all work to well AFTER legal, and I'm sure spending another $1k-$1500 will make a difference. ??? The optometrist comment might be worth taking seriously, and the crow dinner might be cheaper than a Swaro or 789mm objective, that doesn't work, either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Not sure how one could recognize how good a deer was, with the naked eye, and NOT see it much better (at last legal), with almost ANY decent scope these days. Leupold, Burris, Sightron, Vortex, Nikon, Minox, Zeiss, even Bushnell......all work to well AFTER legal, and I'm sure spending another $1k-$1500 will make a difference. ??? The optometrist comment might be worth taking seriously, and the crow dinner might be cheaper than a Swaro or 789mm objective, that doesn't work, either.

Good point.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps the deer "antlered" him while he was taking a dump.

Having fixed his gaze on the deer, and verifying it was good, it took him a few minutes to complete the loaf pinch, as well as required sanitary activities, then return all clothing to proper form, before reacquiring the deer for termination.

At which point, the ambient light failed the optic?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've got the Terra and perfect vision to go along with it and its plenty bright for me...and I'm allowed to hunt a full hour after legal sunset.

[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ringworm
I've got the Terra and perfect vision to go along with it and its plenty bright for me...and I'm allowed to hunt a full hour after legal sunset.

You'd have to hunt late.

If anything alive caught a glimpse of that ugly fuggin Steyr in full daylight, it would jump at warp speed.

You'd never get a shot...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 68 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.