Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Spent the last couple days in the high desert in Oregon working. Left today with my client/host/friend taking my daughter and I for a quick tour of a local cave on our way out via 40-50 miles of forest service roads.

When we got to the cave parking area, we saw a family sitting around a camppsite that had been torn down. Only thing I noticed was they were driving a Dodge half-ton diesel pickup. When we came back from a brief cave tour, I was curious about the diesel but didn't want to bother the campers so thought I would just ignore them. My friend hollered a hello to them as we returned to our vehicles.

The mother responded that she had hoped we were the roadside assistance when we first drove up. That caused us to go over and check to see what was up. Turns out, they had locked their keys in their pickup. They had called out to their insurance company to arrange roadside assistance but that was 4-5 hours previous. Not much we could do. The family said they had been weighing breaking out the rear window of the truck as they had pretty much given up on the roadside assistance.

My friend said she would call their insurance company to follow up when she got back home and we headed on, another 30+ miles to the highway. We never met a tow-truck or roadside assistance vehicle out entire way out.

The father said they were hesitant to try and break in themselves as the truck is BRAND NEW and they didn't want to tweak a door or bend metal trying to break in. I am guessing they eventually broke out the rear window to get out of there. they had plenty of food and water and said, if need be, they could reset up camp and overnight there again.

Driving out all I could think of was, glad it wasn't me. Sitting there waiting for help for nearly 5 hours with my family. Guessing my patience would have worn long before and I would've popped the rear window.

Last edited by Tarkio; 03/30/15.

Montana MOFO
GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Waiting for assistance? Last time I locked my keys in the car I walked to a hardware store, bought a hammer, went back and smashed the passenger side window. Had the window repaired and on my way in just an hour.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Waiting for assistance? Last time I locked my keys in the car I walked to a hardware store, bought a hammer, went back and smashed the passenger side window. Had the window repaired and on my way in just an hour.

Bought a hammer? Hmm. They don't make rocks where you come from?

wink

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Large parking lot. No rocks nearby but hardware store less than 50 feet. I still have the hammer and have found many uses for it over the years besides smashing windows. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wonder how they managed to do that on a new vehicle? Most have a key fob remote and central locking which makes it pretty difficult to do?

The only exception I've seen is where somebody's dog was bouncing around inside the parked vehicle as it was being loaded/unloaded and hit a button that activated the central locking..

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
my neighbor watched last week, as two young negro yutes broke her Tahoe window and stole her purse. Took them about 20 seconds. Window repair was under $200, and took less than an hour.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Large parking lot. No rocks nearby but hardware store less than 50 feet. I still have the hammer and have found many uses for it over the years besides smashing windows. smile

WB47, you should also explain to KG, that there are not a lot of rocks in this part of the country... not like where he lives.

smile

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
always have a cloths hanger handy, always carry a couple in the tool box. out on location must guys leave their trucks idling and its not uncommon for someone to accidentally hit the lock button getting out of their truck and then shut the door.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought that kid when I was in Brazil. I leave him in the truck and he unlocks the door for me when I get to the truck.

Why is this so hard?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Makes me further appreciate the keypad entry on my F-350.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Cars just aren't that hard to get into, without breaking anything. Course, I do have experience from years of driving tow trucks........ wink

The one I'm proudest of, is the time I went hunting, and locked the keys in my Blazer. I honest to God got it open with 2 sticks. One to pry the top of the door open a little, and the other to reach in and hit the unlock button. I amazed myself........ grin

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I studied the truck as my friend was visiting with them. I offered to dig around in my gear to try and find something to use to gently spread the top of the door away from the roof to try and get something slid in to unlock it.

He said he was afraid of tweaking the door. I think the fact it was brand new played heavily into their reluctance to do anything on their own. He did say to his wife, you may very well end up with a sliding window you wanted in the rear.

Montana MOFO
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
that's how we do it, one person pull out on the door just enough to stick the hanger in and push the button.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tarkio
He did say to his wife, you may very well end up with a sliding window you wanted in the rear.

kinky...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Bought a hammer? Hmm. They don't make rocks where you come from?

wink

Hammers,....Rocks,....what are we, Savages.?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always carry 2 keys just for that type deal. Wife has a key on her key chain to all cars. I have locked myself out in years past, never again. When I buy a new truck or car, always spend the extra to have the 3rd key made, right then.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i keep a spare in my wallet for my dually because sometimes i'll leave it lock and idling.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
T
Tarkio Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Sounds like the insurance company deferred to the sheriff and they sent a deputy out there. They stopped to ask permission to cross my friend's place to get there. She never saw the deputy come out so we don't know if they waited that long or took the plunge and popped the rear window.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You have never been embarrassed until you lock your keys in your van in a busy maul parking lot just before Christmas, the alarm is going off and the van is you locksmith van with you company name and number on the side.

Please don't ask me how I know.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doesn't doge have a version of onstar to call and open by computer remote?

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,077 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.