24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
just bought a marlin guide gun from edm, he was shooting 320 gr jsp at 2000fps. closest i could find off the shelf were these, anyone have any experience with them, i'll probably have to shoot store bought ammo till i can get my reloading equipment set back up in a month or so.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i posted this in the campfire forum and got the answers i needed, a shame no one in this forum was decent enough to reply.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never fired the things...

What would you have wanted me to tell you?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i'm sure someone has.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And they are less than decent.

What I've heard about them, I didn't like, instead preferring something like the Speer Unicor.

It is much tougher(The FTX is supposed to be somewhat frangible) and you don't have to modify your cases and restrict them to just that bullet. No feed issues that the gummy tip has, needing a new magazine follower.

And I'm not really a big fan of trying to turn the .45-70 into something it's not. But, a lot of people buy that bullet. I've heard people say they got good performance out of them, but I've heard the same for the SST, which is another bullet I avoid.

If you can get some, try the Speer Unicor at 2000 fps. It's now called the Plinker, but it's the closest thing to a premium bullet you can get without it saying "premium" and being priced as such. I've driven them to 2200 fps and they behaved quite well at that velocity, whereas the Hornady 300 grain (non-FTX) was quite fast-expanding and destructive, and tended not to penetrate as well as the Speer. I use the Hornadys(non-FTX) at about 1650 fps, and will go no faster than 1900 with them.

As an aside, I have friends who have tried the FTX in the .30-30 version and they have stopped using them, also. Very frangible and lacking penetration. Hornady's own 170 FP is on of the best in that class.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
thank you ill try some of those, i did order some 350 gr beartooth hard cast.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent bullet!

I have used the 425 and 525 grain versions, and think the Piledriver lite would be great for deer, pig, and black bear.

You'll not have any issues with penetration with the LBT-style bullets, and the 350 can be driven fairly fast.

Recoil should be somewhat bearable, too.

I'll be honest with you and say I really don't like the recoil the heavier bullets generate, though I put up with it. It's just not as much fun to shoot recreationally(I.E. practice) as the lighter ones, and quite frankly deer and black bear don't require a real heavy bullet anyway.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
thanks Vic, i'm not recoil sensitive, appreciate the info.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At least to me the HUGE advantage in using a 45/70 or 450 marlin comes with the intended use, velocity range it operates at and the fact that a hand cast, hand loaded projectile performs nearly perfectly and will allow you to hunt at far lower cost for ammo yet still have a very VERY effective gun that will easily allow 200 yard or a bit further, kills on game for far lower cost, plus the satisfaction you get from owning a rifle that shoots very accurately with cast projectiles you can push to near the design limitations.
I think you'll find as I have that a 4%-5% tin added to wheel weights makes a very noticeable difference in the appearance and the ability of the bullets to rivet yet remain relatively intact after expanding on impact.
you will also find dropping them into a 7 gallon bucket of water filled about 7/8 full tends to make a better quality bullet , I generally cast about 10lbs-20lbs of bullets at a time then pour out the water and spread the bullets out on a beach towel, separate the few culls and bits of casting scrap that you always get and then dry the bullets and lube size them.
[Linked Image]
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html
I found this bullet to be especially accurate in my marlin 45/70 over 45 grains of IMR 4198, Im not sure what velocity youll get in your rifle but cast from 95% wheel weights and 5% tin,well lubed its accurate,and it shoots thru deer,hogs and elk , holds tight groups,and generally works real well with expected results..very dead game.
you might not feel the same, but the ability to fabricate 200-500 projectiles at home on a few hours notice is a big plus in my opinion

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That bullet aint much punkin Roger, I fired the 525 gr Beartooth Piledrivers to an easy 1755 fps in my 26" Marlin Cowboy with RL-7, that load was a holy unruly sombitch on game and dead livestock test media.

Penetrated like a freight train loaded with pig iron, had mine set up with a Lyman peep, 150 yard hits were cake with a good rest.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive got molds for that NEI 350 grain,and several various brands of molds for 405 grain, 450 grain,535 grain .458 molds and Ive tried them all,in my 458 win, 458 lott and 450 marlin in addition to my browning single shot falling block, but at some point I think a reasonable route to take is to ask yourself,

"is this cast bullet,accurate enough and will it do its intended job well under almost any likely condition, at any reasonable range on the game I hunt?"
the 350 and 405 grain bullets are the only ones short enough to function and still provide higher velocity's in my 450 marlin BLR and the marlin 45/70 lever action I recently sold to buy the BLR, and yes even the cast gas check 350 grain has amazing penetration, on elk and deer in fact Ive yet to recover one, nor has anyone else I remember using one, and I load for many of the guys I hunt with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used the 325g FTX out if my 45-70 GBL on maybe 10 pigs. It was very effective in terms of terminal performance, and one of the most accurate bullets I've tested. 5 Shots touching at 75y was very achievable.

I didn't trim the brass short. I loaded them with the cannelure inside the case mouth and used the LeeFCD to ensure firm bullet seating.

From memory the load was about 50g of H4198, with MV about 2020fps.

Hope that assists.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
leaver evol. is ok for hogs, deer, and such but not heavy enough for really big game. i shot a hudge bison with my 1886 and did not get a singel pass through. 4 shots to get him to tip over , all in right spot from 76 yards. needs to be at least 400 gr or there abouts. how big? both sides hanging in butcher weighed 1100 lbs !!

S
S
I have shot 7 deer with this bullet and it has been a very poor performance each time.
very poor blood trails to follow which there should not needed trailing in the first place, gave the rest of the box away and started using Winchester and have not looked back

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The 350 Hornady FP is what I use. At 2000-2100 fps it wreaks havoc.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 76 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.