GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Don't mean to be an azzhole,but how so?

Because of their size or is it they are just tenacious?

Not Shrapnel, I have shot 2 , the last one 2 months ago. Buffalo are big and built a little different than other NA game the heart lies pretty much protected by the frt leg. As JB already mentioned tight behind the frt leg 1/3 of the way up. Even shot in the heart or the plumbing above it it takes a buffalo a little while to get the message to lay down and die. Most of the time you buffalo hunt when they have their winter hair on, this can give you less than accurate idea of their lower body line so a lot of 1 st time buffalo hunters inadvertently make the mistake of placing their shot higher on the body missing the vital organs. Buffalo can soak up a lot of shots in the meat before they drop. Lungs are huge but again it takes them awhile to drop from blood loss . After you have seen a buffalo gutted and skinned it is a whole lot easier to see where the organs lie in their chest cavity. Most of the buffalo hunting today is for cows and spikes out of a herd environment for a specific animal. You have to wait for the angle you need and that there aren't others in the background that might be wounded by a pass thru shot. Big lead bullets will usually shoot thru from one side out of the other on a perpendicular rib cage shot, I imagine the Barnes acted much the same. When you are hunting buffalo in a herd that have been shot at more than a few times,you need to be as stealthy as if they were a herd of antelope because they just don't stand around long if they know you are there. Buffalo are very good eating, so it don't pay to have to shoot it more than once. I used a 500 gr paper patched bullet with 143 gr of Fg Goex in 50-140 Sharps at over 1500 fps to shoot my last one at 100 yds. It was a angling shot from the left rear of the rib cage to in frt of the right frt leg over 4' of penetration thru the grass bag,lungs, top of the heart,breaking the 4th rib behind the point of the brisket. The bullet was recovered from the muscle tissue of the rt frt leg. At the shot the cow stood there for 2-3 seconds made 3 steps going away, stood there for awhile before going down, another 4-5 minutes to expire. No 2nd shot possible ,the herd closed on her as buffalo do and tried to get her back up. Like I said before buffalo are different and don't act like other game animals. Hope this explains your question on buffalo toughness. Magnum Man

my experience is limited, but i do have some:
my bull was shot with a .375h&h. He didn't die right away although he didn't go anywhere shot in that magic spot.
My friends bull was shot with a 300H&H with a failsafe, it didn't go anywhere either but didn't die right away. Autopsy showed the bullet had blown half the top of his heart away.
Third animal was shot with a 338-06, it ran a good 50 yards before falling over.
four was a cow shot out of a herd. The herd didn't like it at all and surrounded the downed animal. They were in a gator and had to work the herd to recover the animal. I have pictures of that herd chasing the gator as they yanked it out over the snow.
I was taking bets with a friend of mine as to who gets it in the shin to slow them down if they didn't stop at that electric fence.
I do know when we went to recover each animal, there was a guy with a rifle standing guard against some of their friends.
The guy that owned the herd by the way i think dispatched some of them for people just wanted the meat with a .223, in the ear of some specific spot. Doesn't mean thats the way i would want to do it.
I do know it wasn't an easy matter to get the pelt and head in the truck to bring it back, they are friggin heavy.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I do have one other memory watching them get hit with a variety of calibers. A lot of things will kill them eventually, if hit in the right place. The key words are eventually and right place. I do know being around a dead bison, and wondering if his buddies were going to jump out of the brush, i was glad i wasn't carrying a pea shooter.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well the 270 has a lot going for it, at one time I owned five rifles so chambered, I shot nothing but 130 gr bullets, for my deer hunting and for a time I did crop damage control, 130 gr Speer SP flat base, worked like a champ on ever deer size game I ever shot with it, the other being a Nosler partition, killed every thing I shot with that too, and my guess it would be fine on 95% of the worlds big game too! The reason is a simple one its shootable and most anybody can shoot one and shoot it well, combined with a pretty flat trajectory are reasons enough, its not rocket science, If you can shoot it because recoil and muzzle blast is not over wellming, that means you put bullets were they need to go and you end up with game on the ground!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I shot my second moose at the age of 14 with a 700 ADL in 270 with 130 grain corelokts. It was about two hundred yards out in a clearing. I hit it right in the pocket(should area and lungs). It dropped right away and earned me Big Man at Moose Camp status, which impressed by present-wife.
While many here say the caliber is gay, my personal view is that it sure got me lots of ________. Not bad at all.

Some guys have all the luck!

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bartman
Isn't the .270 the gay caliber I have been reading about here that just bounces off things? I'm not using that gun for anything.

Been reading this "gay" accusation of the 270 since day 1 on my reading 24hr campfire forums and various threads. Always wondered why different posters here could hate a cartridge enough to call and label them gay in a derisive manner. Only thing I could figure out was they like to shoot things in the ass, comment on the their sexual preference, and/or inadvertently comment on their lack of shooting ability as well as knowledge. Everything I ever shot with 270's died rfn and no I don't shoot things in the ASS on purpose. Magnum Man

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
He11, I always figured it was because everyone knows the .270 is the best thing going. Hard for some guys to justify a new rifle when a .270 will do it all with aplomb*.

*aplomb is the stupidest word in the english language and should only be used by gunwriters when describing the .270 Winchester in Field & Stream. My apologies for it's use here.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Isn't the .270 the gay caliber I have been reading about here that just bounces off things? I'm not using that gun for anything.

Been reading this "gay" accusation of the 270 since day 1 on my reading 24hr campfire forums and various threads. Always wondered why different posters here could hate a cartridge enough to call and label them gay in a derisive manner. Only thing I could figure out was they like to shoot things in the ass, comment on the their sexual preference, and/or inadvertently comment on their lack of shooting ability as well as knowledge. Everything I ever shot with 270's died rfn and no I don't shoot things in the ASS on purpose. Magnum Man

Does your boyfriend shoot a 270 as well??

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Got more friends than enemies BSA. None of them worry about me punching them in the ass or badmouthing their choice in a 270 Win either. But if you need to confirm that send over your wife or daughter. Got it? magnum Man

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have shot, and seen killed, some big black bears, a few elk and a few moose with the .270 and the 130 Partition.

To the OP, they may not be your most accurate bullet (what alot of guys try for, most accurate, without thinking about the future of the rifle and what the rifle may try to harvest in the future but most try for accuracy... especially a handloader)... these bullets are a hammer.

I've seen a 590 pound PA black bear killed with this combo and JOC's special of 4831. I've personally did the same with a few Blackies.

I've seen it on bull elk, did it on moose, etc.

Outside of a girzzly (which I'm not afraid to attempt based on my experience) I'd have to say I agree with alot of guys here and say that the 130 Partition and the 270, at the properr velocity, gets it done puts you on the flight back home with a smile on your face.

Can't cheat the mountain, Pilgrim...
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is the sensible limits for a guy hunting North America with a 270 Winchester and a 130 grain bullet, any 130 grain bullet? I've heard the round is marginal for Elk but others point out O'Connor took Grizzlies with this combo. Now I know there is no right or wrong answers but I want to hear some opinions. I'm not asking about the .270 Winchester in general as I know there are 150-160 grain bullets available that can even take Brown bear cleanly, but just asking about 130's?

just one man's opinion here.....if one is using a standard cup/core 130 grain bullet the limit is drawn at deer...either whitetail or Mulies.

If one is using a Swift A-Frame then the envelope is extended to elk, moose, Caribou, and such animals including African plains game.

IMO there is no good reason to extend this to dangerous game as there are far more adequate rounds for the purpose....and all of them over .30 caliber. The 9.3-62 for example might be the starting threshold for this category.....but it's your hunt.....go do it your way.....

Last edited by vapodog; 03/29/15.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by moosemike
What is the sensible limits for a guy hunting North America with a 270 Winchester and a 130 grain bullet, any 130 grain bullet? I've heard the round is marginal for Elk but others point out O'Connor took Grizzlies with this combo. Now I know there is no right or wrong answers but I want to hear some opinions. I'm not asking about the .270 Winchester in general as I know there are 150-160 grain bullets available that can even take Brown bear cleanly, but just asking about 130's?

When it comes to head shots and a all copper bullet the choices are limitless.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've been using Hornady 130s since 1958 over 60gr of H4831 and have never found that to be lacking. That has been to Africa twice, Europe three years, Alaska, Canada and eastern Asia. Only animal that took a lot of killing was a Kudu that just didn't know he was dead.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
John
I remember that. I was standing right beside her. Seems her bison acted very similiar to the one I shot with the 375.
Charlie

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

That's why the .270 works so well for Texas heart shots.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Charlie,

Yeah, and when the bison tipped over you said, "She coulda killed it with a TWO FIFTY SEVEN!"

And she did exactly that last fall with a cow elk.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
This whole discussion of this caliber or that cartridge vs that this or the other one reminds me of a Ford vs Chevy chat. Ditto the 130gr 270 vs the 150gr.

Honestly, and I don't have a chit-ton of experience shooting stuff bigger than deer, but it seems to me you can kill stuff, big and small, with a 270 using a well placed shot and a decent bullet of about any construction. When you let the air out them, they die.

Perhaps that's naive...but I don't think so. And I'd not hesitate to use a 270 for anything I'd hunt on this continent.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't been without a 270 since 1973 and will have one when i die. The bullet that has drop more deer on the spot where they were standing with my 270's has been the Speer 150 gr FB with IMR 4350, it just works.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Don't mean to be an azzhole,but how so?

Because of their size or is it they are just tenacious?

I'm curious about that too. It must be something other than soaking up lead as moose can be notorious for playing "alive" when they have been 'killed' more than once already.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 02bfishn, 62 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,228
Posts18,466,602
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.