Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My sister is in the market for a handgun. I tried to sell her on one of the smaller glocks (G42, or even the G43...with preference to the G26). She isn't happy with the lack of a true safety.

My BIL has a G23, and her FIL has the same as me, G27, and she has shot both, so the .40 isn't a bad gun for her.

She recently went to a local gun store and really liked the shield in 9mm, and asked me about them. I know next to nothing about them, and figured I'd ask in here.

What's the good and bad on them?

Last edited by mikeymjr23; 03/30/15.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent CCW pistol. It's basically a mini-M&P (no, not exactly, but close enough).

Helluva pistol for what she wants.

We really do live in a Golden Age of handguns, and especially those for concealed carry.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you sir.

I've only ever owned Glock and Ruger, so I don't have the 1st had experience to give her.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the 9c (compact double stack)

I've had no problems with them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've used a Shield in .40 for a couple of years now. It's not what I shoot most often, but a little over 1000 rounds through it with no problems of any kind. I think it would be even better in 9mm. Slim and compact, with the extended mag still long enough to get a full grip on. Great little gun.

IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Be aware they make it with and without a manual safety. Mine has the safety and it is just to small. I am a big fan of a manual safety but there is no way of reliably knocking it off during a draw.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys.

I'll pass along the information

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If she can lay hands on one, have her try the various Kahr models as well. They, too, are superb little pistols.

If she's sold on the external safety, perhaps the SIG 938 as well.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RWE
I have the 9c (compact double stack)

I've had no problems with them.

This is what I prefer to the Shield for the above reasons.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have one and love it. The safety swipes off just as easily and naturally as the 1911 for me. Turning it back on is another matter, as it is kind of 'buried' by a plastic ridge.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by K1500
I have one and love it. The safety swipes off just as easily and naturally as the 1911 for me. Turning it back on is another matter, as it is kind of 'buried' by a plastic ridge.

As varmintsinc said, there are two versions and it sounds like she wants the one with a safety so she should make sure that is the one she looks at.

Like K1500, I have no trouble thumb swiping the saftey off even though it is small, feels natural. Getting it back on takes a more concentrated effort, but that's not a big issue for me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys. I'm going back home to visit on Thursday and we are going to go check out a couple of gun shops in the area.

I'd like to get her to a range, where she can "try" some guns out; see what she likes.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I really like mine in 9mm. Make sure she can rack it,that is the only down side to it, it is just as hard to rack as my 45 with a smaller area to hold on to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 to Scott62

Really like mine and 100% reliable!

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Shield is compact, reliable and is rated for +P ammunition. Mine has never malfunctioned and I have never seen one malfunction. I like the thumb safety for IWB carry. Heinie makes a set of his excellent "straight 8" tritium sights for the Shield.

You won't go wrong with a Shield. The G43 is still an unproven quantity and has no thumb safety.

I recently switched from Speer Gold Dot 124 +P short barrel loads to Federal HST 147 grain +P, which shoot to the point of aim with the Heinie sights.

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Love mine in 9mm. The safety is a non-issue for me. It's not a large or "in the way" safety. It sits in a dimple/recess if you will so it will not hang on anything. My safety is on as I load the gun and put it in the holster. Once in the holster the safety is switched off. I switch it on, and then remove the gun from the holster when I'm ready to put the gun away. Yes, I know just point it in a safe direction, and I do anyway, but having a second precaution isn't hurting anything. Most CC people that I hear of that have an AD have one when removing or replacing the gun in the holster.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The first Shield I bought went back to S&W 3 times before they finally fixed it. It would misfire every once in a while. I know that's hard to determine the cause but they did send a call tag each time and finally fixed it. I sold it due to lack of trust but eventually bought a second. It worked fine.

Then they offered one without the safety amid reports of the safety being accidentally engaged. My cousin who has two looked at mine one day and engaged the safety. Luckily I didn't need it before I found the safety on but I sold that one and replaced it with a no safety version.

I carry in a PJ IWB Kydex holster that completely covers the trigger so I have no worries. I like it enough that I put Trijicon HD sights on it. It has been perfect and I can't imagine a better CC pistol.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Mine in 9mm has been reliable and quite accurate. Not nearly the Spray and Pray type smaller compact pistol that are often produced for SD.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like my Shield in 40 S&W never malfunctioned as of today and it was the perfect companion for the XS Big Dot Tritium Sight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When looking to upgrade my PPK/s .380 I went with an M&P Shield in .40 S&W.

So far I am very happy with it in all respects. The trigger wasn't as smooth or light as I wanted but after watching a couple of videos I did the trigger work myself. It is now an excellent trigger.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had one in a 40. It is an excellent CCW pistol.I did not shoot it a lot as it is a handful in the 40. Not something you will shoot a lot. A 9mm probably would be a lot better. The biggest complaint I had was loading the magazines, they have very stiff springs in them.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Looked at one, did not like the plastic. Seemed pretty good balance and the trigger was not horrid, just was not my cup of tea. Bought a CZ 2075 Rami instead and have no regrets.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
bea: I really like those sights. If I decide to go smaller than my 3913 I will be looking at a Shield and those sights.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I tried them but got too much vertical stringing, resting the dot on the sight shot low, never could see exactly how high to raise the front sight with my eye sight.

I went to the Trijicon HD's and love em.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Had one in a .40 and loved it. Only reason I let it go was my lust after classic Smith revolvers.

Favorite CCW I have ever owned.

Last edited by PastorDan; 04/16/15.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by EWY
bea: I really like those sights. If I decide to go smaller than my 3913 I will be looking at a Shield and those sights.

Ernie

These are also EXCELLENT guns. Especially the Ladies version. I'd like to get another one, not that I need it. My carry gun has become the S&W 6906. Double stack version of 3913

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
The Shield is compact, reliable and is rated for +P ammunition. Mine has never malfunctioned and I have never seen one malfunction. I like the thumb safety for IWB carry. Heinie makes a set of his excellent "straight 8" tritium sights for the Shield.

You won't go wrong with a Shield.

Exactly my experience with my Shield 40S&W. The Heinie Straight 8s on my Shield are the fastest tritium sights to acquire I've used.

BTW adding the Apex deuty/carry action enhancement kit & trigger is worth every penny.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 04/17/15. Reason: Added Apex information

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Really like the 6906! Heard a lot of good things about the Shield, too.
But, I need another 9mm like I need another hole in my head. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
You might want to consider the Shield in 40 S&W.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My 9mm shield has been flawless.I would also consider a S&W model 3913 & 3914 not made any longer but great pistols IMHO.

Last edited by coobie; 04/21/15.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Kahr and have shot the 9mm Shield. The Shield is nice but I prefer the Kahr. I own a couple of M&P and like them better than the Shield but a good gun for CCW

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I liked my Shield 9mm so much I wound up buying a 40 to go along with it. Haven't shot the 40 yet. I know it'll be a little snappy, but I'll adjust.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Love mine in 9mm, no malfunctions in about 400 rounds of all kinds from the cheap steel case walmart stuff to +p defense loads. More accurate than I thought it would be.

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ordered one in .40. It's in at the dealer, anxious to pick it up and shoot a bit. It seems like a decent gun, read a lot of reviews and most give it decent marks. I wanted a small conceal carry, and might get the wife convinced to carry it berry picking and such since it is so small.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
BIL sent me a picture a week or so ago. He picked up the 9mm for her.

They both love it from what I gather. Can't wait to get home and do some shooting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Shield is a nice gun. I've been thinking about getting one for my wife.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (1936M71, 12344mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 75 invisible), 2,569 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,452
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.