Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I recently fell ran across a Westley Richards 425 Express takedown in need of some tender loving care. The gun is definitely not stock but the alterations were very well done and some may have been done by WR. I have requested a letter from them. The barrel has been cut to 22.5" and the stock cut about 3". The original piece was put back on later. The wood is darkened with age but has the appearance of tiger maple. Grain is very straight through the wrist. The original red pad is still there but melted into goo. The action and lock up on the takedown is very tight. The bore is very good with no pitting. On the right side of the stock is stamped a 400 or 406 (can't tell because of the cut and a ding. The stamped number on the stock makes me wonder if the rifle was not used by the Brits in one of their game depts in Africa or India.
I am in the process of restoring the rifle to useable condition and I would appreciate any knowledge any of you gents might have of this gun. #36XXX

Last edited by drducati; 01/27/15.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pictures would be interesting. Double rifle?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
WR made a very few double rifles chambered in .425 and although the one I used for awhile worked reasonably well, cartridges with rebated rims don't give a guy warm and fuzzy feelings when using a double rifle.
The vast majority of WR .425 rifles were built on Mauser actions and Wesley offered them in at least three grades.
The best grades I have seen had side clips inlet in the feed rails in order to allow the top round to raise high enough, as well as to feed straight into the chamber and they worked flawlessly . I have not seen any of the lower "Colonial grade " rifles done up that way.
Can you post some photos?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
This one is a Mauser actioned rifle and from the serial # I'd guess very early. I'll try to post pics tomorrow. Right now my digital camera is having a meltdown. I'd call this one a "working rifle".

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If you have a cell phone with a camera you can take a picture or three of it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

I hope this link will get you to the pics. It seems to work. Ignore the shotguns

http://s207.photobucket.com/user/drducati750/library/?view=recent&page=1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a nice example of a WR and well worth restoring. I would like to see a photo with the bolt open.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It looks like it was originally a very classy rifle and with some work and investment would be there again.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I got an empty case (actually 3 cases) and tried them for feeding. All 3 feed and ejected out of the magazine with no problem.
Try the same link. I have added pics of open bolt and feeding and ejection of empty cases.

Last edited by drducati; 01/28/15.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'm no expert but that looks pretty clean to me and that the mechanics may be fine. The problem area looks to me to be that stock. I love that fine checkering and the deep color - it would be nice to be able to keep that stock. There may be a stock craftsman that fix that without all new furniture, refinish, and make that flaw almost invisible.

I would say it's a very good piece.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I'm going to send it to Brian Dudley in NY. He can work miracles on old stocks. I'll take his advice.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Westly Richards letter says it was made in 1913. No other information available in the ledger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had one of those in the 70's. Mine had the same extended magazine and same sights. I think the barrel was 26" or longer.I believe my stock had a steel butt plate and was of normal length. Mine was not take down but had great solid wood and a canvas covered case. The bolt handle was horn. Mine didn't have the extensions for the feed rails as some did. The only problem I saw was some rust below the surface of the wood. Seems like cleaning it consisted of cleaning what was showing and that was all.
I had one round of loaded ammo and couldn't resist shooting it. With the stock design and steel but plate, that thing was absolutely painful to shoot. I could find no loaded rounds or brass at the time, and something I could shoot was more practical at the time so it got traded. They are fine guns. I'll look for some old photos.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
That is one classy rifle. I certainly would want to keep the stock, even if the "graft" line shows. It's part of its history.

On a separate topic, what are the shotguns we are supposed to be ignoring? They look nice too....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (06hunter59, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 48 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,186
Posts18,465,749
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.