Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
About a month ago I happened across a gun that I cannot get out of my head. Had never been into a particular pawn shop and had to check in on the gun selection.

On the shelf was a Husky 1600 actioned rifle wearing an unmarked, except for caliber stamp 6.5-284 barrel (22" #2'ish profile) in a Hi-Tech stock. Overall the rifle could have been put together better but has potential as my dream light weight Mauser Custom with a little cosmetic straightening. It is a blind magazine rifle with a trigger guard that looks to be chromed for some reason (easy fix), the barrel has been bead blasted and the action wears the original finish. The stock has been what looks like krylon'd and is serviceable. What is striking about this gun is the overall weight! It can't be more than 6lbs and likely a bit under but I am guessing here.

The bore looks great though a scope was not available to look in any sort of detail.

They are asking $695. Seems about right to me, not a great deal, but it does strike my fancy. What does everyone think?

Thanks for any input!
Nick

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It costs money to repair all those things. I wouldn't touch it for that much. $295 maybe but I doubt it.

Last edited by Fireball2; 03/30/15.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Education always comes at a price. I would make them a lower offer, maybe $450-500, and go from there. The action is almost worth that and if it turns out the way you imagine then you will have a great rifle.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I think Fireball is right...to much money for a rifle you plan to "fix" into what you really want.
The Husqvarna 1600 action is very nice (my buddy has one) and would make a great place to start a custom build, just my opinion.

Have Gun Will Travel,, The more dust on the trail- the thicker the soup.
Life Member: NRA, VFW, Six Napoleons
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I guess that is where I am torn. A donor fun is going to cost me 300 at least 450-500 for a new barrel and the high tech stock stock puts me at $1000 if I attempt to inlet the stock myself. The gun does seem high for a no name Mauser custom but I guess I'm letting the sum of the parts get in the way of the true value.

Nick

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you want a donor for a build, and want to sell off the barrel and the stock to offset the cost, here's one I put up for sale yesterday for $395. You would have a hard time finding one better and the selloff parts are in perfect shape so you'll get top dollar.
Not saying this because it's the rifle I have for sale, but because it just makes sense. Don't buy a piece of crap you have to repair, start with something worth owning from the gitgo. JMHO. Take it for what you paid for it.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9726152#Post9726152

LOL
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I'm with Phil on this one. IF you can negotiate the price a little….IF you are convinced it is a Hi Tech stock…IF the chambering fits your "ideal" rifle concept. I have had a 1640 action factory rifle for quite a few years (plus two others) and the only real complaint has been the factory trigger. That can be corrected but will cost you $ if that has not been addressed with the custom you are considering. I like the Swedes!

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
For myself I would fuss the trigger if it is not an adjustable model (optional from Tradewinds or an aftermarket) and whether the 284 case will feed and/or what was done to make it feed if I wanted another cartridge at some point.
I would also not pay what they are asking, too many possible things to address at that price.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 458Win
Education always comes at a price. I would make them a lower offer, maybe $450-500, and go from there. The action is almost worth that and if it turns out the way you imagine then you will have a great rifle.

+1

I'd consider finding a dummy to see how it feeds too.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
+1 on checking function with a dummy, but don't stop with just one. Cycle a full magazine through the gun several times--you may see problems that you won't see with just one cartridge. If any cartridge in the magazine binds or sticks, then you've learned what you needed to learn.

I'm always suspicious of a Mauser chambered for anything other than what it was when it left the factory. I've never seen one feed properly unless it was from a big-name custom house like Rigby or Griffin & Howe, or it was done by a top-flight American riflemaker. Too many people think they can just swap barrels and call it good, but that's just not true. People who know how to adjust Mauser feed fails properly are few and far between, and their time is very expensive.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,609
Posts18,454,873
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.