Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
How about finding one of the Cooper stocked Annie's? They did make them for about a year.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by avagadro
Thanks gentlemen. My personal flavor would lean to the Cooper Classic. Simple plain rifle. I like the more American lines of this rifle. But must admit the JSR and LVT are both handsome rigs and would probably pull double duty in some of our local rf matches. But the JSR and LVT appear to be a bit more rifle to carry when out squirrel hunting (not that we have real squirrel hunting here in WA State.)

I have a LVT in 17HMR and it sits nicely on the bag when bench rest shooting but I would not want to carry it long distances when hunting.
My JSR though is made for shooting offhand and is easy to carry as it is lighter and trimmer.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Avagadro,

Stock configuration is always a personal choice but the JSR is a walking rifle and not a bench gun. It has a higher check piece for use with a scope and I find it very comfortable.

Easier said than done but you may want to try and handle a few.

No bad choices when it comes to Coopers. Good luck with your purchase and post some pics when you get it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In my book it would depend on priorities. If accuracy and the best of triggers the Anschutz.

If looks, then the Cooper.

I was doing the toss up with our squirrel fields being the primary use. Got the Anschutz.

1Minute
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I was looked for a high end 22 recently and considered the Cooper and the Annie. I ended up with the Cooper, wood and metal fit and finish is top shelf,trigger is very good and easily adjustable, could not ask for better accuracy with mid grade target ammo. The rather plain wood and European stock style of the Annie did not appeal to me.
Cooper Custom Classic
[Linked Image]

50 yard 5 shot group, close to equaling the factory test target 2nd trip to the range,

[Linked Image]

I also ended up with a used LVT and agree that it would not be my first choice as a squirrel rifle, love it for range use.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by avagadro
Thanks gentlemen. My personal flavor would lean to the Cooper Classic. Simple plain rifle. I like the more American lines of this rifle. But must admit the JSR and LVT are both handsome rigs and would probably pull double duty in some of our local rf matches. But the JSR and LVT appear to be a bit more rifle to carry when out squirrel hunting (not that we have real squirrel hunting here in WA State.)

I have three 57M's - a Jackson Hunter, a Classic, and a LVT. The Classic is my go-to rifle about 75% of the time, I just find it more comfortable for me. As mentioned the LVT is a bit heavy for general carrying, I am not particularly fond of the higher cheekpiece on the Jackson except for off-hand shooting so it is relegated to being my small bore silhouette rifle. As mentioned if you could handle them to make up your mind it would be nice but if not grad a Classic and you will like it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Now that is a rifle!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I much prefer the Cooper stock. For the life of me I cannot understand why McMillan copied the Anschutz schnabel stock for the only aftermarket Annie stock offered. This said, I love 54 action sporters and think their fit and finish is slightly superior to Coopers that I have seen. My 1422d's put up similar groups to the Cooper above. They certainly do not shoot better than that on any regular basis. I would trade my wife for one of the early Anschutz/Cooper's with beautiful wood. There was a guy selling 2 of them a year or so ago that were phenomenal. Both were over 5k each.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You can probably guess my opinion from my forum name. I bought a 2 digit Cooper 57M Classic in the first year of their production. I used it in local benchrest competition as it came from the factory and it was a winner at that level. I beat every Annie I shot against with it including the Annie BR50 benchrest rifle that they produced. I used Lapua Midas M in that rifle and it really performed to a high level with the factory trigger with no adjustment. I rarely shoot it these days as I have custom benchrest rifles that take up most of my range time, but it holds a special place in my gun cabinet as it got me started down the rimfire accuracy road. I didn't expect it to shoot so well. I was once in your place, trying to decide between a Cooper or an Annie and I ultimately wanted to buy American. Never regretted it for a moment.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think Coopers are awesome. I would like to have one. Can't have them all 😢

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would love to own a 54 action Anschutz. They are however very heavy for a squirrel rifle. Not sure of all the weights of the Coopers. If I wanted primarily a squirrel rifle, I would buy a CZ 453 (not 455 or 452) or an Anschutz 1416. I own both and they are about as heavy a sporter weight rifle as I want to carry in the woods. I have also shot 50 yards groups with both that will match the one posted above by Augie. The difference is that his rifle looks better doing it and like the 54 Anschutz will produce those groups on a higher percentage of targets than my rifles. All that said, the extra accuracy cannot be utilized in the field hunting.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've been running a Cooper Custom Classic for a few years now. Love the rifle but I have to keep the chamber clean otherwise, with it's preferred European ammo, it fails to extract. I've also been having issue with feeding of late and have to push the mag up from the bottom which is a pain in a monthly tactical shoot I compete in. Other than this recent issue, it's been a joy to own.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I just bought (Wednesday) a new Annie 1416 D HB Thumbhole for my tactical competitions. Hope it works out well for me. I had Anschutz North America swap out the single stage for a two stage trigger. It came set at about 6 oz. I love it!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I topped it with a Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 set in Kelbey's standard height rimfire rings. Still undecided if I want to have them Cerakoted to match the receiver of not; which is an option Kebley's offers.

Also had ANA send me their extended mag release for quick, sure mag changes in fast tactical competitions.

[Linked Image]

In case you're wondering what our tactical shoots are like. On Youtube or Facebook, it's called "22 Marksmen Challenge"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s1XCdWQYfA

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 04/10/15.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

504 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 40 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,230
Posts18,447,730
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.