Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Been wanting a cooper 57m plain jane rifle for nearly a year now. I just saw that the Anschutz 1712 rifles are about $1900. I really want an American rifle but is the Cooper $300 mo' better than the Annies? I know there are little to NO flies on either ... if it was your cash where would it go & why if you can?

Best
-g

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have both and prefer the stock lines on the Cooper. I would look for a used Cooper- should be able to find a nice one for well under $1900. Prices have risen significantly since I got mine- wife paid around $1150 for it about 10 years ago for an anniversary gift.

Who is John Galt?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If your spending that much money, a little more for the Cooper would get my vote. Both are awesome, but the Coopers usually have nicer wood and more 'American' style stocks. What a great problem to have!

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I was shooting my Jackson Squirrel 22lr yesterday and it is by far my favorite rifle. I picked it up used here on the fire and so glad I did.

Here are a couple available now. I have bought from cove creek outfitters and they are great to work with. Just give them a call.

http://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/...-57-jackson-hunter-22lr-dark-timber-camo

http://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/gun-room/cooper-firearms-model-57-classic-22lr-brown-laminate

Here is another nice one from MichiGun
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=474933268

E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I forgot to add these three links from Whittaker in KY. Send shortactionsmoker here on the campfire a pm and he will find what you need.

http://www.whittakerguns.com/product/cooper-57m-jackson-squirrel-rifle-22lr

http://www.whittakerguns.com/product/cooper-57m-mannlicher-22lr

http://www.whittakerguns.com/product/cooper-57m-trp-3-22lr

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+ 3 on the Cooper

Never owned an Annie, but like the stock lines way better on the Cooper. (personal tastes) And with Cooper you can up-grade to nicer wood if you don't mind spending the money.

I looked at high end rimfires for a long time before settling on a Cooper with AAA walnut. It was more than I wanted to spend but to ME, it's my "ultimate" rimfire rifle.

It's my "once in my lifetime" rifle.

When spending this much, what's a few hundred more.

Virgil B.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Owned both and sold the Annie. It was a nice rifle but didn't have much "soul". No complaints with the accuracy.

One of the main reason I prefer Coopers is because they can be ordered exactly how you want it. About 5 or 6 years ago took the plunge and ordered a left handed Custom Classic .22 LR and it is everything I hoped it would be. One of a handful of weapons I own that will never be sold. Sometimes you just need to go big or go home:)

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Cooper. If you are not in a rush buy used and save a significant amount of money. If you want one right now take a look at the dealers mentioned in the prior posts, also take a look at First Stop Guns out of Rapid City, SD they are great to deal with as is Whittakers Guns. Doing it this way gives you a chance to look over the wood to find something to your liking.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I would prefer the Annie but it's likely because I shot their full target models years ago. I have a nice 1416 Annie which is the lighter 64 action.

I would spend some time on the Cooper and Anschutz forums at www.rimfirecentral.com before deciding. If I had to judge, I would say the Annie will have a very slight edge in accuracy and the Cooper an edge in looks. I'm sure you will be more than pleased with either.

Here is the best price I've seen on Anschutz.
http://www.iss-internationalshootersservice.com/

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Both are great rimfire rifles. I own an older Anschutz 1522D classic which is a 54 action. It's very accurate for a 22 WMR and the 54 actions are legendary but, I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the left sided safety for hunting. Just something to consider.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The new 54's have a safety like a model 700. However for a strictly hunting rifle I would rather have the 64 action. It's a lot lighter and handier rifle and any accuracy difference cannot be seen in the field.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 03/31/15.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks RHC. I wasn't aware that the new 54's have a safety like a 700. That would be more desirable for hunting, IMO. The older 54 safety is not very convenient while hunting.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You're welcome. I would ask before ordering though. There's no telling if someone has old stock or new.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 1974 54 Sporter outshot 2 Cooper's I once owned,an LVT and sporter.Their kinda like the old Kimber's,all show and no go.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have had a Cooper JSR and a Classic. I have also had four or five Anschutz, both 54 and 64 actions. My current rifle is a 54 Sporter in a McMillan stock with a Lilja barrel.

In my opinion your choice comes down to what you like about rifles: If the American stock appearance is what you like then the Cooper wins, but keep in mind its trigger, safety, and bolt system are not anywhere as robust as the 54 Anschutz. The Cooper safety blocks the trigger blade, which means it requires movement to be 100% effective. It also does not lock the bolt. If you are shooting with gloves it might not matter, but if you are used to target grade 5018 or 5022 triggers you will be disappointed. The Coopers do seem to have good barrels though.

The best thing to do is to buy a 1712 barreled action from Champions Choice and send it and four or five grand to LeRoy Berry of Canyon Creek gunstocks in Montana. He use to run the Cooper stock shop and designed much of their offerings. This way you get the best of both worlds.

Last edited by RexM; 03/31/15.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RexM
I have had a Cooper JSR and a Classic. I have also had four or five Anschutz, both 54 and 64 actions. My current rifle is a 54 Sporter in a McMillan stock with a Lilja barrel.

In my opinion your choice comes down to what you like about rifles: If the American stock appearance is what you like then the Cooper wins, but keep in mind its trigger, safety, and bolt system are not anywhere as robust as the 54 Anschutz. The Cooper safety blocks the trigger blade, which means it requires movement to be 100% effective. It also does not lock the bolt. If you are shooting with gloves it might not matter, but if you are used to target grade 5018 or 5022 triggers you will be disappointed. The Coopers do seem to have good barrels though.

The best thing to do is to buy a 1712 barreled action from Champions Choice and send it and four or five grand to LeRoy Berry of Canyon Creek gunstocks in Montana. He use to run the Cooper stock shop and designed much of their offerings. This way you get the best of both worlds.

That's my dream!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would be thinking, they all need parts sooner or later. Can I get parts in 10 years. I have some Kleinguenthers all ways worring about parts and magazines. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have both the Cooper, plus the Kimber and two Anschutz's and seem to always use one of the Anschutz in the squirrel woods.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by bea175
I have both the Cooper, plus the Kimber and two Anschutz's and seem to always use one of the Anschutz in the squirrel woods.

The NY Kimber 22 is one of the most underrated rifles. Their triggers can be tuned to rival jewels, and if you can find their preferred ammo they can shoot. I had one for about 8 years, finally sold it after I could not find its favored ammo anymore. Good rifle!

The barrel was a bit light for my tastes, but it sure was nice to pack around.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks gentlemen. My personal flavor would lean to the Cooper Classic. Simple plain rifle. I like the more American lines of this rifle. But must admit the JSR and LVT are both handsome rigs and would probably pull double duty in some of our local rf matches. But the JSR and LVT appear to be a bit more rifle to carry when out squirrel hunting (not that we have real squirrel hunting here in WA State.)

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

337 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 48 invisible), 1,782 guests, and 1,171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,433
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.