Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks again to all,I was aware that much like handloading for centerfires,different rifles have different preferences for loads.So, if I might summarize all the feedback, I've got a pretty good shooter unless by some rare coincidence,the Fed's that I had on hand just happened to be the"magic bullet" for this rifle! Thanks Again for all of the responses! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I agree with Penn, Mem, I would be elated with the accuracy you are getting at 100 yards. Heck, I'd be happy if some of my old rifles were that accurate at 100 yards. I have Nikon's PROSTAFF 3-9 Rimfire BDC 150 on a couple of 10/22's and couldn't be happier with them. I have even used the BDC to plink steal crows at 200 yards.

http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/b...re/rimfirescope.jpg.html?sort=3&o=11

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be curious what the group size would be if you were to shoot 5 or 10 shot groups. 100yds is really stretching the little .22lr out. Still fun to do, but ammo limitations typically start to show after 50.

Last edited by centershot; 04/01/15.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Here you go. I've posted these before. The rifle is not a modern bolt action whiz-bang, but a replica Winchester 1885 low wall, custom barrel, Unertl 16X scope with external adjustments. Not top of the line ammo, Eley Team, maybe third tier. Real world conditions, off the bench having to adjust for wind and mirage.

The three in a row bulls were at 100, consecutively, 10 shots, center is 3/4". Two just a hair over one MOA, one under. The five shot group at 200 measured 1.4 inches. Unfortunately, no witnesses. Also at 200 was the 10 shot group on the ISSA target with 1.5" center bull. Again, real world, in a match, a fair amount of wind and mirage. Oh yeah, mine was the only .22 at 200 yards. It was a centerfire Schuetzen match and I shot my .22 because it's all I have. Came in fourth, IIRC.

Needless to say, I love this little rifle, and it's my favorite. I can only guess what it would do in a tunnel, but I'd like to see it.

I don't claim to be an expert shot, just a 1939 vintage old fart with aging eyes, along with everything else.

Paul
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are some great groups. Getting the wind under 5mph around here is nearly impossible. So groups at 50 are even pushing it. It would be fun to try some 100 yarders on a nice day.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you have some fine rifles and a good match with off the shelf ammo. Given 22 LR velocities and the effect of even the lightest of breezes, you're doing great. You'd have no trouble in our squirrel fields.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
At that range your accuracy is going to be affected more by the wind and conditions than anything with the rifle. Shooting a .22 at distances over 25 yds without windflags and the experience to know what they are telling you, your groups at that range will be wildly inconsistent. Even a slight breeze, with let-ups, switches etc will throw a .22 bullet around more than the accuracy potential of the rifle/ammo combo. Bottom line, I would be happy with that level of performance in the absence of match ammo, match chamber in the barrel and wind flags (you would need about 8-10 flags out at that range to have an idea what the wind is doing between you and the target. An interesting tidbit that won't make much sense but is true, std velocity (sub-sonic) .22 rf ammo will buck the wind better than higher velocity ammo that will start out supersonic and go thru the transition to sub-sonic before getting to the target.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have always found at distance, SV or subsonic ammo has done better than HV ammo. At 50 yards or less it is much different, depends on what the rifle or pistol likes best. The transition from supersonic to sub sonic really does seem to make a difference with a 22LR.

M
memtb Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Thanks again for all of the feedback. The one thing that was really an eye opener was just how long from the shot report to the sound of the round hitting the target back board returned to me. Where I live we do have quite a few very calm days for shooting. This day wasn't perfect, had a very slight breeze from my left shoulder. I will try a get a very calm day, and shoot some extended strings for a better evaluation. Even if it turns out that these groups were a fluke, I think I'm still pleased with the rifles performance! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you only shoot on calm days you will only learn to shoot well on calm days. The real challenge in rifle shooting be it rimfire at 50-100 yds or centerfire at extended ranges is learning how to dope the wind. Even if you put out some stakes with surveyor's tape will give you some information. Then you can learn how much you need to hold off. I shoot competition at 50 yards and 50 meters and I hold off for most shots, as there is rarely any such thing as a calm day. There is always some air movement and it doesn't take much wind or thermals to move a .22 RF bullet around. Then we also have to deal with mirage. Don't get me started on mirage. If/when you want to go down the road of ultimate rimfire accuracy, be aware, it's a long and frustrating journey and there is much to learn.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by cooper57m
If/when you want to go down the road of ultimate rimfire accuracy, be aware, it's a long and frustrating journey and there is much to learn.

But it's fun and satisfying. As with BPCR, to be really successful shooting slow lead bullets, you have to set aside much of what you've learned from shooting modern centerfire rifles. An open mind and a bit of humility can shorten the learning curve.

Shooting .22s at extended ranges is not directly proportional to shorter distances. That means that a one MOA group at, say, 50 yards will not necessarily translate to a minute at 100, let alone 200. A type of ammo that shoots well at 50 may not hold up at longer ranges. You really have to shoot and test at those distances to find out.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bonefish
If a butterfly flaps it's wings in the Amazon, it can open up .22lr groups @100y.

I gotta remember that line, so true , so true. laugh

If you can put 10 shots in 1 1/4" at 100 yards with any kind of constistancy, you are good at reading the wind and mirage, you have a very good rifle and very good ammo.

[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends on the game of the moment, and the gun being used. My old Remington M12 with a sewer pipe bore will group bulk ammo into around 1½-2" at 25 yards- a long haul from my "good" target rifles that'll slop them into 3/8-½" at 50 if I squint, pray, and hold tight- but the fun quotient with the old Remington when it comes to bouncing empty beer cans around the back yard is hands down more than with the "big" guns doing the same thing.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 26 invisible), 1,571 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,501
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.