Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
1. Do you park your porky asscheeks on a stool inside an enclosed nylon potty house with your safe-queen shotgun and call your little heart out? In a mowed, greened up meadow?

2. Do you opportunize on terrain features, belly crawl through cow patties and thorns to cut birds off with minimal calls- run and gun? Mid-day bugger birds in hardwoods?

3. Pay someone a trophy fee, they call, and you shoot over a pile of 'yellow yelper' ?

4. Or do you blast em off the roost like Larry Root?

5. Snipe them from the front porch with an AR-15 and cup of Sanka?

Just wondering

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Number 2 for me. I am pretty aggressive and tend to push the bird hard until I kill him.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
usually ends up being #2.....
some of the other ways look pretty attractive tho....I ain't agin em....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No blinds or decoys for me. But I ain't crawling thru cow patties either, though using the terrain is a fun way to get really close to birds. Learned that one growing up hunting the north georgia mountains

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
1 and 2. I chase them in the hardwoods without a blind unless I have my kids with me. Then we sit in a blind, most of the time.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The most fun hunt I e had is belly crawling through the thorn, and I didn't get him!

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No blinds or corn piles.

I walk and call. If I get an answer, depending on distance and terrain, I sit down with my decoys and keep calling or I keep calling and moving closer trying not to "bump" the bird until I put the decoys out and set the ambush.

OR

I walk and call. If I get no answer, I walk and call, repeat, repeat, repeat. Makes for tired legs.

I cover a lot of ground while spring gobbler hunting.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

I'm from Alabama where the "run-n-gun" is alive and well.

We scout for turkeys and hopefully find a roost tree. Then we try to ambush them.

If that doesn't work we get out there before the sunrise and up on a ridge. As the sun rises we listen for gobblers and locate with a barred owl call. If you find a gobbler that wants to play the game you get as close as you can on him and then about 1 tree closer. Sit against a tree broader than your shoulders and call. When he shuts up better have your gun up. He's coming in.

It's a good bit more complicated than that but that's the gist of it...

Last edited by Diogenes; 03/28/15.

The mountains are calling, and I must go -John Muir
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I usually hunt them early and try to get set up before they fly down from the roost, but occasionally will take one with a rifle when i want one just for the table. The only time i would use a blind is if i was using my bow or handgun. Never us bait.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Most of the folks I know in this area, that have harvested a gobbler, did it off hand. Such as having a shotgun along while sage rat hunting, etc.. There are a lot of Rio Grandes in this area which seem to be quite mobile. Usually in the spring can run into large groups.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
IC B3

Yeah, we strictly use shotguns, mostly with an extra full choke and heavier than lead shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Diogenes

We scout for turkeys and hopefully find a roost tree. Then we try to ambush them.

If that doesn't work we get out there before the sunrise and up on a ridge. As the sun rises we listen for gobblers and locate with a barred owl call. If you find a gobbler that wants to play the game you get as close as you can on him and then about 1 tree closer. Sit against a tree broader than your shoulders and call. When he shuts up better have your gun up. He's coming in.

Exactly what I was trying to say.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In NY rifles and bait are both illegal. Tried the blinds and they didn't work for me. SO I go to where they roost, hide behind a bush +/- 100 yards away and try to call them to me. If that fails I go to the gobbles and try to sneak within shotgun range!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StudDuck
Originally Posted by Diogenes

Exactly what I was trying to say.

Yep.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My friend Danny says:

Get a friend that really knows how to work a slate, then follow his ass.

Shoot anything that gets in range, even if its out from under your pal.

Originally Posted by RWE
My friend Danny says:

Get a friend that really knows how to work a slate, then follow his ass.

Shoot anything that gets in range, even if its out from under your pal.

Remind me not to go hunting with Danny.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sit on a pine covered slope overlooking a creek, use slate and jake gobble and a 22mag.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Both blind and run and gun. Prefer the later, but a blind is great when you take kids.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by taz4570
Both blind and run and gun. Prefer the later, but a blind is great when you take kids.

This, right here.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Both 1 and 2, although I don't have any safe queen shotguns.

As a general rule I only use a tent with kids or if it's raining. It's just too much stuff to carry a tent and a chair or chairs.

In Alabama the most fun is getting them to gobble on the roost at daylight and then setting up to intersect them before they get to a real hen.

I did start using a gobbler lounge chair last year and have to admit, it is comfortable for a fat boy. Not the easiest thing to get out of, but very comfortable.

Bob.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,511
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.