Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I pickup a new/used T/C New Englander percussion 54 cal. have not shot it yet. Looks like new. Like to use it for moose sometime with the right load. Have to work on that.
Erich

At some point my hobbies became my life.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
They are great rifles. TC made them as an attempt to make a less expensive rifle than the Hawken. And it worked.The only issue with it, as with all older cap locks, is whether or not it has been taken care of properly. Some of my friends had to buy new muzzleloaders every two or three years, because they did not take care of them.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've had one in .50 caliber since the 80's. Still shoots the old TC maxi balls great over Pyrodex. Use it every year.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
LeonHitchcox,
What are some of the problems with older T/C rifles. Are you talking about rust, carbon deposit, or something else.
Erich

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up a 50 here on the Fire a few years back just don't let anyone tell you patched RB's aren't the cat's meow.. wink

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I've have this Renegade that I bought in 77. Just like new!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
On the old carbon steel models, using black powder, or the substitutes that were almost as bad, the user had to be meticulous in keeping them clean due to corrosion. Many people lacked the proper knowledge, or were just downright lazy, and neglected to do so. Sitting uncleaned for weeks, months, or even years just ate the bores up from rust and pitting.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
.54Cal New Englander: I bought mine back in 1988 and it's the only muzzleloader I've ever hunted with. Great Plains 425 grain HBHP bullet, 100 grains pyrodex or 90 grains T7. I've killed a truckload of deer with it and only had one take more than one step (he took his step and slid down a hill). It's a fine rifle. KEEP IT CLEAN!!

Simon Peter got it right: Mathew 16.16
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Great guns! I bought my .54 when they came out in left hand along with an extra 12 ga. smooth bore barrel. I've never had a hang or miss fire, but I'm anal about keeping it clean. My usual load is a 435 gr. T/C Maxi-Hunter over 90 gr. of Goex 2f. The T/C Maxi-Ball shoots well also and is what I'd probably go with for something big as a moose, preferring penetration over expansion.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Greyhawk, which is the same thing only stainless and synthetic. It's a .50 and has always been a little fussy about the bullets it likes. A few years back I tried the Hornady FPBs and bingo!

I also have the tang peep, which is like gold these days, and made a square blade front sight. Last fall I fitted a Weaver base for a Mauser using the existing sight holes so I can try a red dot, but haven't tried it yet.

Keep you eyes open for one of the shotgun barrels.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ErichTheRed
LeonHitchcox,
What are some of the problems with older T/C rifles. Are you talking about rust, carbon deposit, or something else.
Erich

I am talking about rusty barrels for no other reason than the owners were too lazy to properly clean the barrels. Black power and its substitutes leave deposits in the barrel that attract moisture after firing. So after a while the bore is rusty and pitted.

This was not a T/C problem. It was a user problem. That is why you pay close attention to the condition of the bore on any used muzzleloader.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
LeonHitchcox,
Erich

I am talking about rusty barrels for no other reason than the owners were too lazy to properly clean the barrels. Black power and its substitutes leave deposits in the barrel that attract moisture after firing. So after a while the bore is rusty and pitted.

This was not a T/C problem. It was a user problem. That is why you pay close attention to the condition of the bore on any used muzzleloader.

Some people had no business with them in the 1st place. I bought one from a guy a north, and had him ship it to me. When I got it, the 1st thing I did, as usual, was to check for a load in the bore. Sure enough, it had one in there. I sent him an email asking if he was aware that it was loaded when he shipped it. He said no, and that it had not been fired in 20 years, so it had been rattling around his house, loaded, for at least that long. eek

Luckily, the bore wasn't very bad, and cleaned up good.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I have yet to load or fire this rifle.
After you said this I cleaned the brl. anyway just for fun. Thanks for the help from all of you. I just bought almost 1000 handcast RB for cheap from gunbroker. That will last me a while.
Erich

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
LeonHitchcox,
Erich

The guy that got me into muzzleloaders in the 80's said to never let the sun set on a dirty barrel.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I just bought some more # 11 caps for it. Now I will have to shoot it.
Erich

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 3,357 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,296
Posts18,468,010
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.