Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Now you tell me! I thought about hand holds and then decided against them at least until we use the benches some. We were kinda crunched for time, we built 2 start to finish in one day. Thanks for the design input and sharing your bench pictures.

Last edited by willecoyote; 03/25/15.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If you are looking for quick and easy go get a Black and Decker Workmate. Cut your plywood top to whatever and then use carriage bolts to hold a 2x2 on the bottom which gets clamped by the Workmate. Thank me later.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whelennut
If you are looking for quick and easy go get a Black and Decker Workmate. Cut your plywood top to whatever and then use carriage bolts to hold a 2x2 on the bottom which gets clamped by the Workmate. Thank me later.
whelennut

That is what I use but it isn't light and the four frick'en legs aren't ideal. It does work but I would want a rest to pivot if I was shooting a dog town.

Can I get an invite if I bring cold beer AND good whiskey?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hand hold on one side, notches on the other. Problem solved.

I have a Booger bench made with a set of folding table legs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My buddy built a tri-pod similar to yours. It's definitely more stable but harder to move. (No free lunches eah?)
He solved the notch vs handle dilemma by not adding either. smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by willecoyote
We built a couple this weekend, I'll let you know in a couple weeks if it's the best for all day shooting or not. We kept the "ear" narrow enough to let your elbow hang over.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Where can you get the mounts for the legs?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the money, it's hard to beat that Big Game Swivel Bench shrapnel has in one of his photos. I have two that have made 5 trips now and they're real easy to haul and setup. Having 360* of movement is so nice when you're scanning for your next target. They even hold up my fat ass which is amazing.

Now, where do we sign up for these invites?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by deflave
shrapnel,

Don't listen to these dumb-asses from Wisconsin.

I'd be happy to shoot prairie dogs with you some time.

At your spot.

(note to self : Check Headstamps on all cartridges)

Travis

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Prwlr, we made them, my son cut and drilled the plates at school in his agriculture class, he was going to cut and weld the couplings in class to but we ran out of time so we did that at home.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I built a small T shaped one using table legs like yours, and in the fields I shoot a little wiggling settles the 4 legs in well. I was concerned about the 4 vs 3, until I built one.

My T is more of a pie wedge, the front is curved, it is wide and the back portion is skinny so my elbow usually hangs off the benchtop, but when it is on it, after 100+ rounds, I usually spend more time making sure the red elbow is off the bench the rest of the day's shooting. The narrow back and wide front lets me slide my front rest maybe 30 degree's right-left, and if I see a bugger off to the side I can move the chair, move the rest/ rear bag in close ( or ditch the rear bag) and swing wide, and re-adjust the whole setup if I spy more vermin I hadn't seen sneaking around.

Another week and a few days and I'll try mine out again for a week of shooting Skippy, the flying squirrel.

That 4 leg sure is stout!!!!!

Allen

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don't know about perfect, I guess that depends on personal preference but, these worked perfectly well for us...
[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I like the gun notches. May have to consider adding those to mine!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
screw notches.... handhold-style slots rule.....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We cut the notches deep and didn't have any trouble with the wind but with holes you could never have a problem with a rifle falling but they would be harder to switch rifles while sitting. To be honest we didn't lean the rifles in them very often anyway. We were constantly sliding the back of the benches left and right to line up on the next shot!

Don, hate to break it to you... notches rule!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will, to each his own....But after meeting you and seeing that you're not physically (or mentally) challenged, I don't see how you would have any trouble adapting to the MUCH superior slot method. It's only as hard as ya make it........Besides that, where ya gonna hang yer rangefinder pouch from a frigging notch?(bottom pic)

There. It's been broken to you. Again......grin

And when those purty new benches start getting all scratched up sliding then in and out of the truckbed(and it bothers you), you can slot some PVC pipe for the edges. Keeps some chit from blowing off,and protects the top by raising it off the bed when loaded upside-down.I still think you should do the ammo shelf deal underneath, too.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

you can make a deal to hold the legs for transport, in the cooling shelf underneath.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Rangefinder?... ain't that the same as cheatn!?
We just guess, shoot, see where the dust flys adjust and shoot again. Now.....about that mentally challenged thing, you sure you don't want to reconsider your evaluation! wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good thing you went to kansas instead of here. Your 'dust fly' shot puts them down for good here. Only one chance on smart ones.

You are right on reconsidering the mental part. I now realize that maybe, just maybe, removing the rifle from slots with a 3-things-to-do action, instead of a simple yank, is above your capacity....grin

Repeat after me. lift, tilt and remove, lift, tilt and remove, lift, tilt and remove......all from the comfort of a seated position.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Let me try!..lift tilt remove lift tilt remove tilt lift remove remove lift tilt..? wait..hows that go again?
BTW we had 2 rangefinders they sat nicely on top of the bench.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
"you can make a deal to hold the legs for transport, in the cooling shelf underneath."

[Linked Image]

Got that covered Don, check out the bottom of the pic, you can carry the legs in one hand and the top in the other...nice and balanced....not heavy unbalanced like your's....just admit it....my design is superior smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, I'll admit it, just to SYTF up.....grin

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Im disappointed in you, you gave in to easy. I'm a guy from the east that's only shot prairie dogs once in his life, you had this won hands down!
I'm heading out to the shop now to cut handholds in our benches.

All jokes aside, thanks for sharing!
Will

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
307 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 917 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.