-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've had a handful of the highest rated lightweight boots at my house for several months now, and I finally got around to putting out the video summary of my thoughts. I ramble more than I should have but maybe some of you might find some use in this-

https://youtu.be/XHLbByBB32Y

The clear winner for me was the Lowa Techlight hunter - but it's not as "lightweight" as was claimed or as they report, but it is excellent. It's still a pretty heavy boot, but you get more for that weight than with other boots.

A couple of other favorites - The Salomon GTX 4d and the Asolo Neutron. Both help cut the weight and perform very well. You can pick up the Asolo from STP these days for anywhere from 100-150, depending on the coupon you use. That's a great deal.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the reviews.

I went with the Salomon GTX. I've put ~ 100 miles on these since last September and think they work very well for the lightweight/warm-cool weather boot option. I'm likely going to buy another pair before they change them..........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
thanks for the reviews watched it on my lunch break tonight at work.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
thanks for posting.....good review

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Nice review. While I spend alot of time, and money on rifles, scopes, and shooting, none of this would mean much w/o quality boots. Always good to hear what's new and works. E

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I got a pair of the Salomon GTX 4d's last year and used them on a couple backpacks this past summer. Best boot I've bought or used in the last 10 years.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have tried and used a lot of different lightweight boots over the years but my favorite so far is my Salomon 4D GTX

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
+1 on the Salomon 4D

Ed T

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Excellent review. Thanks.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've used the Salomon Quest 4D GTX for the last three years. I'm a big fan! They've been deer hunting in VA, a safari in S. Africa, and on three hunts in the CO Rockies in early October. Had about 9" of snow and temps in the teens one year. A bit more warmth would have been nice when standing around camp, but otherwise did well. Traction is great and the ankle support is excellent IMO. I've slogged through countless mud bogs, creeks and lots of wet grass and my feet have remained completely dry. I think they're the real deal.

I noticed they revised them just a bit this year. Have not seen a pair to see what the changes really mean.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ordered a pair of the Synchros and the Neutrons. Keeping the Neutrons and sending the Synchros back due to what appears to be a mis-sewn tongue gusset that causes a pressure point at the ankle on one shoe. Other side is fine so it's probably just that particular shoe being mis-sewn. I've used the Sasslongs (favorite Goretex boot ever) and FSN95 for years and have been pleased with them both. Even though uninsulated, they've been adequately warm unless stationary for longer stretches with snow or sub-freezing temps. Even then, it's just been discomfort but not an issue.

Last edited by greentimber; 04/06/15.

RLTW
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just bough the Solomon to replace my 12th or so pair of Asolo fusion 95's. They were comfy in the store, but expensive.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by K1500
Just bough the Solomon to replace my 12th or so pair of Asolo fusion 95's. They were comfy in the store, but expensive.

Ha, if I liked a pair of boots enough to buy 12 pairs I'd probably stick with them! FYI, Amazon has the Salomons quite a bit cheaper.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
They quit making them, or I would have. I have strayed in the past to Vasque, but I didn't really like them. There are other Asolo offerings, but I thought I would give these a go.

Last edited by K1500; 04/06/15.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ah, gotcha. Makes sense.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by prm
I've used the Salomon Quest 4D GTX for the last three years. I'm a big fan! They've been deer hunting in VA, a safari in S. Africa, and on three hunts in the CO Rockies in early October. Had about 9" of snow and temps in the teens one year. A bit more warmth would have been nice when standing around camp, but otherwise did well. Traction is great and the ankle support is excellent IMO. I've slogged through countless mud bogs, creeks and lots of wet grass and my feet have remained completely dry. I think they're the real deal.

I noticed they revised them just a bit this year. Have not seen a pair to see what the changes really mean.

New version is stiffer. Still light but not the same tennis shoe feel to me.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 16Racing, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 56 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.