Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[quote=BobinNH]DArcy's rifles may be a bargain in the custom industry today,assuming of course that a guy can afford any of them. smile

http://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Gun_Values/Gun_Manufacturer.aspx?id=DAVID_MILLER_CO [/quote

Does this guy sell a hat? 32k for a rifle in a Bansner synthetic stock is not in the budget for this year.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D'Arcy's hats, like his rifles, show up in all sorts of nice places

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If I ever win lotto I would buy two Echols rifles. One in 30-06 and one in 375 H&H . Then I would do my best to wear the barrels out shooting critters.

I would buy them now if I could afford it.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 04/09/15.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DINK
If I ever win lotto I would buy two Echols rifles. One in 30-06 and one in 375 H&H . Then I would do my best to wear the barrels out shooting critters.

I would buy them now if I could afford it.

Dink

I figured if I starter wearing the cap, the wife would get used to it and not notice the long box in the gun room. I'll use her line: "Oh I've had that for quite awhile, you just didn't notice it".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The trick with D'Arcy's rifles is to always have them painted the same color. Black is particularly effective, because to most wives, they don't look any more expensive than any other synthetic rifle. D'Arcy is finishing up one for me right now and it will be painted brown like the others.

If they catch you with a new Legend, just tell them it's your old one and you just had it re-blued and painted. grin

Best,

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Used to have a source for cans of spray on dust, that I sold with guns. They just sparyed them down with the dust and stood them in the corner of his safe & convinced the wife he'd "had that ole gun forever"

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ChetAF
The trick with D'Arcy's rifles is to always have them painted the same color. Black is particularly effective, because to most wives, they don't look any more expensive than any other synthetic rifle. D'Arcy is finishing up one for me right now and it will be painted brown like the others.

If they catch you with a new Legend, just tell them it's your old one and you just had it re-blued and painted. grin

Best,

Chet

Chet, what do you tell your wife when D'Arcy runs her some dummy rounds for you to try in a prospective rebuild? That he's wanting you to critique his hand loading skills? :-)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I guess I am used to the concept of a 100k shotgun. New to the idea of a 30k bolt rifle. Probably will never own either but do respect the craft. I am spending 5k on custom rifle right now. Would never tell my buddies what it cost. They would not understand how it could be "better" than say a Weatherby or a Sako. A Purdey or an H&H is not any "better" than a Beretta, AYA, or Merkel. When you swing them, you can tell a difference that is difficult to understand or explain.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually, the rebuilds are easy. You start by telling her for a year that you are going to buy a new Legend. Then, one day, you say that you hatched a plan with D'Arcy to make a new barrel for one of your old rifles. She thinks that sounds like a bargain at that point. grin

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Laughing!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
DArcy's rifles may be a bargain in the custom industry today,assuming of course that a guy can afford any of them. smile

http://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Gun_Values/Gun_Manufacturer.aspx?id=DAVID_MILLER_CO

Like D'Arcy, David Miller has a clientele that can afford their rifles and they charge what "their" market is willing to pay. That doesn't necessary mean you're getting a rifle that really worth 32K-100K for the Miller Classic.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well....then what's it worth wink

Evere handle Miller rifle? They are really very nice....easily as good as any of the London Rigby's or H&H's...probably better. And those cost tens of thousands.

But seriously, what is a Miller "worth"? confused

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Well....then what's it worth wink

But seriously, what is a Miller "worth"? confused

I judge every rifle I purchase on what it's worth to me.

Not to the Blue Book, but to me.

If I'd bought that pre-64 Super Grade a while back, I'd have had it refinished, because it would have made me happy.

Ultimately....we only have to please ourselves with our gun purchases.

If I were a wealthy man, or were to win the lottery, Miller would be my first call.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You missed my point I think of "worth". Their (well financed) clientele are willing to pay those figures. Is a Simillion worth half of an Echols ? According to what I've been hearing from you about Gene's rifle making talents, it's doesn't sound so. I wouldn't confuse worth with what a wealthy man or woman will pay for something. Is a Ferrari 250 GTO worth 55 million dollars ? I don't know, but recently a hedge fund dude in NYC thought so and bought it.

Originally Posted by nyrifleman

If I were a wealthy man, or were to win the lottery, Miller would be my first call.

And that, my friends, is my point.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always amazing how this subject (and especially Echols rifles) always ends up in a discussion of the meaning of "worth." Especially when so many Campfire members claim to be firm believers in capitalism, yet apparently don't believe in charging whatever price the market will bear.

If we want to limit everything to "inherent" worth, then a bushel of wheat is worth more than a Holland & Holland shotgun without any ammo, because if things get desperate and we can't trade or sell the H&H we'll starve. But we can eat the wheat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Only if it's gluten free wheat...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always amazing how this subject (and especially Echols rifles) always ends up in a discussion of the meaning of "worth." Especially when so many Campfire members claim to be firm believers in capitalism,wil yet apparently don't believe in charging whatever price the market l bear.

If we want to limit everything to "inherent" worth, then a bushel of wheat is worth more than a Holland & Holland shotgun without any ammo, because if things get desperate and we can't trade or sell the H&H we'll starve. But we can eat the wheat.

That is exactly what I have been saying John. His market will bear the price, just as the gentlemen felt the 1963 Ferrari GTO was worth 55 million dollars.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
And how about that hat? His attention to detail on packing my hat was impressive. I just might order a rifle one day. Might have to sell a couple to do so but it would be worth it to me.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Pay money to advertize for someone, makes good sense to me.

Exactly

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
LOL! You mean you guys tear the tags off your CarHarts before you put them on? wink

Or take the make and model off you vehicles before you drive them? Tape over the maker of your tires so you don't give Firestone (or other) any free advertising that you "paid for"?

And of course we have our smiths machine out the word "Remington" from our rifles too....and tape over that Gold Ring on the Leupolds too,right? smile

Isn't that all advertising that we paid for? Could go on but think I made my point(?)

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/12/15.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

453 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 55 invisible), 2,894 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.