Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob, you're making WAY too much sense here. Lol. laugh

Eric

BP-B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always amazing how this subject (and especially Echols rifles) always ends up in a discussion of the meaning of "worth." Especially when so many Campfire members claim to be firm believers in capitalism, yet apparently don't believe in charging whatever price the market will bear.

If we want to limit everything to "inherent" worth, then a bushel of wheat is worth more than a Holland & Holland shotgun without any ammo, because if things get desperate and we can't trade or sell the H&H we'll starve. But we can eat the wheat.

My customers sometimes say a gun "isn't worth that much". It's an old argument. But in reality. D'arcy's guns or anyone else's are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them.
I had an Echols gun once. I bought it for a couple hundred bucks IIRC. It was a muzzle loading pistol he made while in gunsmithing school in Colorado. I Got it from an instructor there. Incredibly well made, but that's what it was worth (to me and the seller) and I traded it off for something of equal value @ 30 yers ago.
"Worth" isn't really a very arguable concept, as it's easily established.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Well....then what's it worth wink

Evere handle Miller rifle? They are really very nice....easily as good as any of the London Rigby's or H&H's...probably better. And those cost tens of thousands.

But seriously, what is a Miller "worth"? confused

I think it tsquare that showed a picture of matching, or what appeared to be matching, Miller's and they were stunning to say the least. I understand that David makes a "Marksman" model that's bedded in a rather plain laminate stock, or maybe today a McMillan stock, that goes for somewhere in the neighborhood of $35,000 bucks. I think it is built on a classic mod 70 action with a fluted Kreiger barrel with a custom one piece scope base that he makes for each individual rifle. That makes the Echols Legend a bargain I guess. I think we are all on the same page now with regards to "worth" in that what it is worth to the owner. I foolishly entered my part of worth from a standpoint of something that increases in value, as I did with the guy who paid 55 million for the Ferrari GTO. That example of that exotic masterpiece sold for 11.5 million dollars about 5-6 years ago and it was all over the NYC area newspapers that some rich nut paid that much for a "car". If you are lucky, there is one more coming up for auction probably this year that the owner only wants 64 million dollars for. My point ? The guy who bought the example 5-6 years ago for 11.5 million got his monies "worth" without question.

Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Life is way too short to shoot an ugly gun. In the book "Mastery of Wood and Metal", Miller's rifles are shown. They are really rifles of beauty. The one thing I enjoy about fine rifles is their ability to be used in most circumstances encountered while hunting. I happen to be of a wood and blue mind set, and enjoy finely made rifles with excellent wood and good metalwork. With proper use they work well from Alaska to South America. They develop their own personality over time, and wear they scars proudly. I sound like a "rifle Looney", thanks Mule Deer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep. I remember standing in the grocery store once. I remarked to may wife, "A man's taste in beer stands in direct proportion to his adjusted gross income." There was a fellow standing behind me who laughed and said, "I gotta remember that because it is absolutely true!"

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'm thinking wearing a DE hat is akin to all those folks who wear Harley Davidson bling. You know darn well than 95% don't even own a Harely.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Yep. I remember standing in the grocery store once. I remarked to may wife, "A man's taste in beer stands in direct proportion to his adjusted gross income." There was a fellow standing behind me who laughed and said, "I gotta remember that because it is absolutely true!"

Not really I know some with very deep pockets that drink PBR
guess they figure they work hard for their money why spend it on something they will piss out an hour later

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Looked pretty good in Zimbabwe...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is your rifle worth? The real question is, when you are hunting something that can kill and eat you, what is your life worth ?

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well........priceless of course.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

[Linked Image]

I don't care who you are, but that rifle is absolutely beautiful. That is what a true "classic" should look like.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always amazing how this subject (and especially Echols rifles) always ends up in a discussion of the meaning of "worth." Especially when so many Campfire members claim to be firm believers in capitalism, yet apparently don't believe in charging whatever price the market will bear.

If we want to limit everything to "inherent" worth, then a bushel of wheat is worth more than a Holland & Holland shotgun without any ammo, because if things get desperate and we can't trade or sell the H&H we'll starve. But we can eat the wheat.

Agree with you. In reality money is not the issue relating to certain products that fetch the highest price possible. Take for example Loveless's knives; collectors just want his knives and pay exorbitant sums of money for them. I have seen a set of very old and used Loveless steak knives that are nothing fancy, but cost several thousands of Dollars. I have also seen some modern Samurai sword (made in recent years), that fetch over a $million, and sometimes several millions.

A lot of us have dreams that later in life, when we can afford it some become a reality. Now, I was thinking about a D'arcy "Legend" rifle in .338WM caliber back when it cost around $5,000, but I took too long and lost my opportunity. Now his rifles are way too expensive smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have to tell you guys D'Arcy takes customer service and a desire to please to extreme levels. I first met D'Arcy years ago through my friend Allen Day (RIP) who owned a few of his rifles. I've never purchased one of them as I'm really not a "plastic" guy, but I did order one of his hats. No big deal.

Not only did I get an order confirmation via email (standard) but a follow-on email from D'arcy asking me how I was and if I had any issues with the hat to return it. Anyhow, I got the hat and like everything he does, I loved it and wrote back to him telling him so and that I tried to order one in moss but they were unavailable in XL (melon head).

I not only received an email from him telling me he was going to send a couple of samples (WITH a refund check to mail them back), but when I expressed confusion with colors, sizes, etc. he CALLED to explain the way he went about selecting a good hat maker and how the regular sized hat would probably fir me fine.

Anyway, THAT my friends is what I call customer service so now you can imagine what he puts into his rifles. I was impressed and as always, he was a pleasure to speak with. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ChetAF
I bought a hat from D'Arcy a while back. It is very well made and I was able to wear the smaller size in the moss color even with a 7.5 hat size.

He charged me several thousand dollars for it, but he threw in a rifle for free, so I was okay with that.

Chet

That's great! Good negotiating there!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I have to tell you guys D'Arcy takes customer service and a desire to please to extreme levels. I first met D'Arcy years ago through my friend Allen Day (RIP) who owned a few of his rifles. I've never purchased one of them as I'm really not a "plastic" guy, but I did order one of his hats. No big deal.

Not only did I get an order confirmation via email (standard) but a follow-on email from D'arcy asking me how I was and if I had any issues with the hat to return it. Anyhow, I got the hat and like everything he does, I loved it and wrote back to him telling him so and that I tried to order one in moss but they were unavailable in XL (melon head).

I not only received an email from him telling me he was going to send a couple of samples (WITH a refund check to mail them back), but when I expressed confusion with colors, sizes, etc. he CALLED to explain the way he went about selecting a good hat maker and how the regular sized hat would probably fir me fine.

Anyway, THAT my friends is what I call customer service so now you can imagine what he puts into his rifles. I was impressed and as always, he was a pleasure to speak with. J

$25 for a hat !?! I can get one just as good for $1.59 at the local FallApart store ! He is obviously overcharging the poor working man! And I bet it wasn't even completely hand made.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everything in life is relative, Phil...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yeti get $20 for a hat. Any Yeti owners here?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
D'Arcy is nice; is it worth it? In the eye of the beholder.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 91 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.