Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Along with making fine custom rifles, they also have an excellent shop hat. It's well made and comes in XL (not one fits all). If your ever needing a new cap, check them out.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hat would just about be the only thing I could afford from his shop.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hah!

I was thinking the hats might run $300 or so!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could wear his Hats while wearing my Lamborghini sweater.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys,

Here are three examples of Echols caps. Kevin Dilley did the photograph.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No one I know would know what the hat referred to. I would be better served with a Panama City Beach hat or a Marlin hat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the XL size determined by the head size of normal customers?
Bonefish, nobody I hang with would know the name either. If they did they still would not pay for the rifles. We have to use tools, cant afford art

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great hats! Reminds me, I need to order a couple more.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Pay money to advertize for someone, makes good sense to me.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I'll mail you a hat AND a t-shirt from the shop for free. 😄

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

^^This^^ ... Nor do I wear anything with an UnderArmour logo or sport a stoopid Browning deer head sticker on the back of my truck.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

I thank my lucky stars your advice has been worth about what I've paid for it!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm betting you have to pay for a lot of things.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Including your advice on women. Laughing!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Friend gave me a Netjets hat that they give shareholders. Wore it once and felt like an ass-clown in it. Sent it to the homeless shelter.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I bought an ASSMAN'S PLUMBING & SHOP SUPPLY hat the last time I was in Fort Pierre, South Dakota.

Gave it to a proctologist friend of mine and he loves it!!!

Easter Blessings,

Steve

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You never know who will look at your hat and make a comment. I was wearing my Echols hat last summer while guiding fishermen along Becharof lake in SW Alaska. It is not a place often visited but one afternoon a Cessna landed a mile away and an hour later three fishermen hiked by and one looked at my hat and asked if I knew D'Arcy? He told me he had met D'Arcy at the SCI show one year and aspired to someday own one of his rifles.
The fishing was slow at the time and at least by wearing the hat I ended up meeting a kindred soul and having a nice discussion.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just for kicks and giggles, I ordered a D'Arcy cap. I've met D'Arcy a few times and liked the man, plus the cap had a cool cape buffalo on it.

I went on the web site and the caps were available in medium and x-large, plus the adjustment. I have a large head, take a 7¾-inch cap, so it sounded like the right hat from the beginning.

They were out of the orange (which I didn't want) and the moss (which I DID want), but the had the khaki in XL.

Ordering was a breeze and I was a bit surprised that there was NO POSTAGE fee ... usually, companies nail you for five to seven bucks on postage. So the cap was $25 with no postage.

I ordered it on Thursday, April 02 at 4PM and got the e-mail receipt back in a few moments.

The cap arrived by Priority Mail today (April 06) about noon. The Priority Mail cost D'Arcy $6.10, so it's amazing that the shipping was at no charge.

The cap is probably as nice as any I've seen. Absolutely great quality, excellent adjustments (I had to make it bigger) and it looks really, really fantastic.

The packaging was pure D'Arcy; an extra heavy-weight box, the cap was in a gallon-size ZipLok and had been packed in styrofoam lamb-farts ... obviously with lots and lots of care.

I would have to say the D'Arcy Echols cap is pure quality all the way, including the packing and shipping.

Would I buy another? Heck, YES ... I'm going to lurk on the site until they get in some in moss color.

Anyway, that was my experience in ordering the D'Arcy Echols hat.

Steve

PS. My mailman is an Noveske AR freak ... we both love and own Noveske Thunder Ranch Special Edition rifles. Anyway, Randy the Mailman ringy-dinged the doorbell and when I answered the door, he said, "Steve, what the Hell are you getting from D'Arcy Echols? Isn't his stuff the world's best???"

I answered that I ordered a cap, so he waited until I opened the box. Randy loved it ... Randy ordered his own, using his SmartPhone while standing on our porch.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's said that there's "perfection"....and then there's "D'Arcy Echols Perfection". smile

Think I'll get myself a hat.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a hat from D'Arcy a while back. It is very well made and I was able to wear the smaller size in the moss color even with a 7.5 hat size.

He charged me several thousand dollars for it, but he threw in a rifle for free, so I was okay with that.

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like you need PP in order to purchase. I sent an email. I'm sure there is some way around it.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A lot of companies use PayPal to handle credit card orders, but customers don't have to have a PP account. That's how our website works.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Did you notice an trick moves unique to D'Arcy with regards to the packaging ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I DO NOT deal with PayPal because they are totally anti-gun. But, given the system that D'Arcy uses, you can negotiate around that and use Visa, MC or American Express (which is what I used).

By the way, D'Arcy sent me a very nice e-mail this evening. Nope, no free cap (not that I in any way expected it), but a note in appreciation.

D'Arcy Echols is a very, very nice man, a friend, and an incredible credit to our sport. He is literally one of us and that is the highest honor we can give to any man.

Easter Blessings,

Steve

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Including your advice on women. Laughing!

I don't give advice on women, I give wives advice on their dipshiet husbands.

LUCK

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
You never know who will look at your hat and make a comment. I was wearing my Echols hat last summer while guiding fishermen along Becharof lake in SW Alaska. It is not a place often visited but one afternoon a Cessna landed a mile away and an hour later three fishermen hiked by and one looked at my hat and asked if I knew D'Arcy? He told me he had met D'Arcy at the SCI show one year and aspired to someday own one of his rifles.
The fishing was slow at the time and at least by wearing the hat I ended up meeting a kindred soul and having a nice discussion.

Seeing anyone on Becharof lake is a minor miracle in itself. That place is desolate and hauntingly beautiful. One of the true, unspoiled, treasures of the world in my opinion. I was blown away to find out that you live there. Only soul I ever saw there was at a fish and wildlife research camp at Featherly creek. Couple of young guys that had been out there too long and were getting a little weird. Took them beer a couple times. They followed us and took scale samples of our caught fish.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
From a business perspective, I am amazed at the Echols success. People get in line to pay 3x what other highly respected smiths charge for custom synthetic guns. I have no dubt that they are amongst the finest guns made but how he succeeds in setting the market at that level is mind blowing to me. I would like to see one of his rifles. In fact I want one just because I cannot have one. Very similar to my interest in a Ferrari.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Not really any different from ordering a Purdey shotgun, or H&H rifle.That sort of pricing has always been around,relatively speaking; and the same way people build custom homes costing millions,build custom cars for 6 figures,or entertain people with cocktails and Beluga caviar,folks with the disposable income see the value in the way DArcy builds rifles.Not all of them are wealthy people.I know owners of Echols rifles who are not wealthy people but like perfect stuff. smile That's what he builds.

He takes a lot of online heat from gibberish on the subject but I am pretty sure that David Miller (as one example) is even more expensive for a utility rifle.Try ordering a high quality double rifle today and DArcy's pricing will look like a bargain.We working stiffs may not be able to to understand $15k for a working rifle;but we look in the safe and likely have that or more tied up in second rate stuff that does not perform as well.

I got an email from him a month or so ago; a client converted a rifle from one caliber to another,but the new cartridge would not feed well,or at least as well as it should. So he designed and machined a new magazine box, dimensions correct for the cartridge,and made it feed perfectly.I saw pics of the "before and after". That kind of thing costs money and machine time.

People who build like this aren't getting rich doing it. DArcy is not the only one.But their nature won't allow them to compromise their standards in the way they build rifles,and some customers appreciate that attention to detail. That some of us can't afford it is irrelevant.

That's why I chuckled at Steve's comments about the way the hat was packed....sounds like DArcy....even with hats. smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Got it ordered. Didn't see the PP work around at the bottom.
Thanks Mule Deer and Dogzapper for reminding me.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/07/15.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Just for kicks and giggles, I ordered a D'Arcy cap. I've met D'Arcy a few times and liked the man, plus the cap had a cool cape buffalo on it.

I went on the web site and the caps were available in medium and x-large, plus the adjustment. I have a large head, take a 7¾-inch cap, so it sounded like the right hat from the beginning.

They were out of the orange (which I didn't want) and the moss (which I DID want), but the had the khaki in XL.

Ordering was a breeze and I was a bit surprised that there was NO POSTAGE fee ... usually, companies nail you for five to seven bucks on postage. So the cap was $25 with no postage.

I ordered it on Thursday, April 02 at 4PM and got the e-mail receipt back in a few moments.

The cap arrived by Priority Mail today (April 06) about noon. The Priority Mail cost D'Arcy $6.10, so it's amazing that the shipping was at no charge.

The cap is probably as nice as any I've seen. Absolutely great quality, excellent adjustments (I had to make it bigger) and it looks really, really fantastic.

The packaging was pure D'Arcy; an extra heavy-weight box, the cap was in a gallon-size ZipLok and had been packed in styrofoam lamb-farts ... obviously with lots and lots of care.

I would have to say the D'Arcy Echols cap is pure quality all the way, including the packing and shipping.

Would I buy another? Heck, YES ... I'm going to lurk on the site until they get in some in moss color.

Anyway, that was my experience in ordering the D'Arcy Echols hat.

Steve

PS. My mailman is an Noveske AR freak ... we both love and own Noveske Thunder Ranch Special Edition rifles. Anyway, Randy the Mailman ringy-dinged the doorbell and when I answered the door, he said, "Steve, what the Hell are you getting from D'Arcy Echols? Isn't his stuff the world's best???"

I answered that I ordered a cap, so he waited until I opened the box. Randy loved it ... Randy ordered his own, using his SmartPhone while standing on our porch.

Bhahahahaha. I will have to remember that one buddy. Hope you had a Blessed Easter.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Brother John,

It WAS a blessed Easter. During the Vigil Mass, we got all of our RCIA students successfully Baptized, Confirmed and they had their first Eucharist. The only problem was that one lady got too close to her own candle and set her own hair afire (which was doused in the baptistry) in front of the congregation grin

We had 800 to 900 folks at our Easter Vigil Mass. It was fabulous.

Now, as to lamb farts ... you forget that I was born and about half raised in Montana. gringringrin

Blessings to you and your family, my brother,

Steve

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like custom rifles and have a couple, I don't like synthetic stocks. A custom rifle is a one of a kind item and Darcy is one of the best. In the mass produced world we live in quality stands out but it costs money. If a Ruger, Rem, Winchester ect works for you then fine but don't run a man down because he charges more than you can afford for a custom built rifle of exceptional quality.
I think I'll order a hat and maybe a T-shirt as well. I can wear them to the SXS shoots I attend smile

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I like custom rifles and have a couple, I don't like synthetic stocks. A custom rifle is a one of a kind item and Darcy is one of the best. In the mass produced world we live in quality stands out but it costs money. If a Ruger, Rem, Winchester ect works for you then fine but don't run a man down because he charges more than you can afford for a custom built rifle of exceptional quality.
I think I'll order a hat and maybe a T-shirt as well. I can wear them to the SXS shoots I attend smile

Well you are in luck get yourself a classic with nice french walnut

CLASSIC RIFLES

Functional elegance that endures

My Classic Rifles represent the best of my skills as designer, craftsman and artisan. Each project combines precision metal work and the finest stock work to accomplish the client’s goals. I carry with me many decades of experience in the traditional school of classic rifle making, component engineering and manufacture.

My goal is to create a piece of functional art that offers the owner intrinsic value. My standards emphasize exceptional fit, feel, accuracy and balance. I build the Classic rifles to withstand the rigors of the field around the world.

Within this text you will find a general layout for what materials I prefer to use for each project and the typical construction parameters. I will consider any reasonable request for those that seek something out of the ordinary. I believe my finest projects have always appeared quite subtle. With this in mind simplistic elegance is always my goal.

Classic Light Sporter

I have found the following components ideal for a Classic Light Sporter. The current production long and medium, right and left handed Winchester Model 70 actions. Chambering choices are limited to those calibers for which factory ammunition is currently available. Popular favorites are the 257 Roberts, 260 Remington, 270 Winchester, 7x57 Mauser, 7mm Remington Magnum, 30-06 Springfield, 300 H&H Magnum, 300 Winchester Magnum, 338 Winchester magnum and 9.3x62 Mauser.

Metal Work
1. Machine and modify the action’s magazine well, rails, bullet ramp and ejection port as required for the chosen caliber. Surface-grind and machine the action to re-establish all appropriate external flat and radial surfaces above and below the stock line.

2. Re-machine the receiver threads when necessary; re-machine the recoil lug seats, recoil lugs, receiver face and bolt face. Install a premium grade Chrome-Moly barrel. The barrel contour and length will be appropriate for the particular caliber chosen. Each barrel is installed with techniques and tooling which assure the maximum accuracy potential from the chosen components.

3. Install a custom made Echols & Co. straddle-guard magazine assembly that is appropriate for the caliber and action. Magazine capacity will be determined by the caliber chosen. All standard calibers such as the 270 Winchester and 30/06 magazine assemblies have a five round capacity. Our standard length Model 70 magnum magazine assembly will hold 4 rounds down and 1 in the chamber, without being a drop-box design.

4. Install an Echols & Co. two-piece scope mount system. This solid steel mount is available for both 1” and 30 mm scopes, and features an integral base and lower ring half that is precision fit and secured to the action with at least four (and sometimes five) 8x40 Torx head screws. The front and rear rings of the action are surface ground concentric to the centerline of the bolt bore before the scope mount is installed. The ring I.D. is bored to the actual external diameter of the scope tube, thus assuring a perfect mechanical fit with the scope, a step virtually unheard of in the industry today. The top half of the ring secures the scope in place with four 8x40 Torx head screws. After final installation of the rings the scope tube is under no stress whatsoever. The mounts are made individually to allow the scope to be mounted as close to the centerline of the bore as is possible with the chosen scope, without crowding or overhanging the ejection port. This is a non-detachable scope mount and the only one that we will install on our Classic or Legend rifles. It is the only mount that I have used which will positively hold a heavy scope and prevent motion under extreme recoil.

5. Install a custom bolt handle that has a checkered bolt knob with an engraved, bordered rosette pattern. The position of the new handle will allow the desired scope to be mounted as low as possible and will assure easy manipulation of the bolt. Replace, rebuild, or install the appropriate wing safety.

6. Modify, detail and/or checker the bolt stop. Modify and precision-finish the factory trigger unit or install and modify a quality aftermarket trigger unit. The trigger lever will be modified and detailed as well.

7. Engrave the lettering for the following items: Caliber, Model #, Construction Ser #, D’Arcy Echols & Co., Millville, Utah, USA. If requested as an option the customer’s
Initials will be engraved in a gold initial inlay, installed in the corporal line of the stock or into the trigger bow itself. The socket head guard screws, sling swivel bases, cross bolt heads and grip cap screw will also be engraved with a rosette pattern.

8. All the appropriate metal work will be hand polished prior to being caustic immersion blued. The bolt body will be left blued with only the bullet ramp and side rails polished bright, unless otherwise requested.

Stock Work

9. Every rifle stock I make today originates from a pattern stock I’ve made. This pattern is modified to anatomically fit the client’s required stock dimensions. The French walnut blank is first machined ¼” oversized, removed from the machine, and then allowed to stress relieve for a month. The stock is then returned to the Hoenig pantograph and machined to the final dimensions. The barreled action is then hand fit into the machined blank. The actions and magazines are fully bedded with metal to wood contact and supported by aluminum pillars. Unless otherwise requested the barrel is tastefully Free Floated from the barrel shank forward with a minimal amount of clearance along the barrel on both sides and an adequate amount of clearance under the barrel. After 30 years of building both Legends and Classics I am convinced this method is far superior to the traditional full-length bedding procedure with forend contact on a bedding pad behind the tip. I have observed over time that bedded in the traditional method that the point of impact will begin to change as the forend wood begins to relax over the years. It is fashionable for rifle makers to insist that they apply 5 to 10 lbs of upward barrel pressure at the tip and that this is the secret to accuracy. I have never been able to understand how a steel rifle barrel can be pre-loaded or bent by 10 inches of French walnut. The reverse actually happens and as the years go by the forend wood relaxes. At this point there is variable pressure applied to the forend and errors in accuracy can occur as well as zero for the iron sight point of impact begins to change vertically.

The stock design will incorporate a contemporary straight comb or Monte-Carlo when required or requested. An appropriate grip profile and a contemporary American style cheek piece or European style cheek piece with a shadow line depending on the clients taste. The stock will be made from thoroughly dried French, European, New Zealand, Turkish or Californian thin shell walnut only. Dramatic contrast and mineral marking is quite desirable in a stock blank, and many stock blanks are chosen for these characteristics only. However, proper grain layout in the blank is a critical consideration, and great care is taken in the selection of every stock blank. All critical stock dimensions are tailored to the individual client. Typical stock measurements for a right hand, scope-sighted rifle are as follows:

Length of pull 13-3/4"
Drop at the comb 5/8"
Drop at the heel 7/8"
Pitch 3 degrees
Cast off or cast on at toe 3/8"
Cast off or cast on at heel 3/16”

10. Installation of the following hardware is standard:

Bedding pillars to support the front and rear guard screws
Precision socket head guard screws
Echols single screw, steel, grip cap
Burgess/Echols rear swivel base and front swivel base
Installation of a 1” red recoil pad
Checkered typically with a 24 line per inch open point pattern
Hand applied polymerized oil/varnish finish.

The estimated weight of this rifle, with scope and full magazine, is between 8 lbs and 9 lbs. Weight will be dependent upon the caliber and action.

11. While under construction the rifle is test fired many times at our range to confirm that feed, function, accuracy, scope viability and safety requirements are completely met. A variety of factory ammunition is used during testing to determine which ammunition delivers the best accuracy for that particular rifle. We have found that most of our customers are knowledgeable and experienced riflemen that want Precision Load Development for their rifle. We are pleased to develop such data when requested.

Total labor and material cost $ 32,000.00

This price does not include the cost of the scope, test fire ammunition or final shipping and handling expenses.

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Dan,

Ya ever see a luggage rack on a hearse?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nope it's not needed

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
And [bleep] they are beautiful.

[Linked Image]

D'Arcy doesn't drive up his prices. That's how a free market works. I bet if he lowered his prices to $5K a rifle he'd have a wait list so long he wouldn't be able to finish them in his lifetime.

Let me see...an American, hand making rifles in America, doing so well riflemen from around the world covet his rifles. Yep, I'd like to buy D'Arcy lunch sometime and hear some of his perspective.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
as they say one born every minute.....but to each his own

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
DArcy's rifles may be a bargain in the custom industry today,assuming of course that a guy can afford any of them. smile

http://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Gun_Values/Gun_Manufacturer.aspx?id=DAVID_MILLER_CO

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
as they say one born every minute.....but to each his own

If you don't want to be anyone's sucker, look for that custom guy that'll build as well for a couple thousand. Then hope he stays in business long enough on peanuts so that the value of his name increases to the point that your rifle becomes a good investment. Plenty of custom rifles don't increase in value, and sometimes go the other direction instead. And then there's the problem of knowing that some no-name guy actually knows his stuff well enough to reliably build what you actually want. There's plenty of custom work available for those willing to work for minimum wage….or less.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This one arrived today. Will do for now...............

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[quote=BobinNH]DArcy's rifles may be a bargain in the custom industry today,assuming of course that a guy can afford any of them. smile

http://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Gun_Values/Gun_Manufacturer.aspx?id=DAVID_MILLER_CO [/quote

Does this guy sell a hat? 32k for a rifle in a Bansner synthetic stock is not in the budget for this year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D'Arcy's hats, like his rifles, show up in all sorts of nice places

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
If I ever win lotto I would buy two Echols rifles. One in 30-06 and one in 375 H&H . Then I would do my best to wear the barrels out shooting critters.

I would buy them now if I could afford it.

Dink

Last edited by DINK; 04/09/15.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DINK
If I ever win lotto I would buy two Echols rifles. One in 30-06 and one in 375 H&H . Then I would do my best to wear the barrels out shooting critters.

I would buy them now if I could afford it.

Dink

I figured if I starter wearing the cap, the wife would get used to it and not notice the long box in the gun room. I'll use her line: "Oh I've had that for quite awhile, you just didn't notice it".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The trick with D'Arcy's rifles is to always have them painted the same color. Black is particularly effective, because to most wives, they don't look any more expensive than any other synthetic rifle. D'Arcy is finishing up one for me right now and it will be painted brown like the others.

If they catch you with a new Legend, just tell them it's your old one and you just had it re-blued and painted. grin

Best,

Chet

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Used to have a source for cans of spray on dust, that I sold with guns. They just sparyed them down with the dust and stood them in the corner of his safe & convinced the wife he'd "had that ole gun forever"

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ChetAF
The trick with D'Arcy's rifles is to always have them painted the same color. Black is particularly effective, because to most wives, they don't look any more expensive than any other synthetic rifle. D'Arcy is finishing up one for me right now and it will be painted brown like the others.

If they catch you with a new Legend, just tell them it's your old one and you just had it re-blued and painted. grin

Best,

Chet

Chet, what do you tell your wife when D'Arcy runs her some dummy rounds for you to try in a prospective rebuild? That he's wanting you to critique his hand loading skills? :-)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I guess I am used to the concept of a 100k shotgun. New to the idea of a 30k bolt rifle. Probably will never own either but do respect the craft. I am spending 5k on custom rifle right now. Would never tell my buddies what it cost. They would not understand how it could be "better" than say a Weatherby or a Sako. A Purdey or an H&H is not any "better" than a Beretta, AYA, or Merkel. When you swing them, you can tell a difference that is difficult to understand or explain.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Actually, the rebuilds are easy. You start by telling her for a year that you are going to buy a new Legend. Then, one day, you say that you hatched a plan with D'Arcy to make a new barrel for one of your old rifles. She thinks that sounds like a bargain at that point. grin

Chet

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Laughing!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
DArcy's rifles may be a bargain in the custom industry today,assuming of course that a guy can afford any of them. smile

http://bluebookofgunvalues.com/Gun_Values/Gun_Manufacturer.aspx?id=DAVID_MILLER_CO

Like D'Arcy, David Miller has a clientele that can afford their rifles and they charge what "their" market is willing to pay. That doesn't necessary mean you're getting a rifle that really worth 32K-100K for the Miller Classic.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well....then what's it worth wink

Evere handle Miller rifle? They are really very nice....easily as good as any of the London Rigby's or H&H's...probably better. And those cost tens of thousands.

But seriously, what is a Miller "worth"? confused

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

I judge every rifle I purchase on what it's worth to me.

Not to the Blue Book, but to me.

If I'd bought that pre-64 Super Grade a while back, I'd have had it refinished, because it would have made me happy.

Ultimately....we only have to please ourselves with our gun purchases.

If I were a wealthy man, or were to win the lottery, Miller would be my first call.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You missed my point I think of "worth". Their (well financed) clientele are willing to pay those figures. Is a Simillion worth half of an Echols ? According to what I've been hearing from you about Gene's rifle making talents, it's doesn't sound so. I wouldn't confuse worth with what a wealthy man or woman will pay for something. Is a Ferrari 250 GTO worth 55 million dollars ? I don't know, but recently a hedge fund dude in NYC thought so and bought it.

Originally Posted by nyrifleman

If I were a wealthy man, or were to win the lottery, Miller would be my first call.

And that, my friends, is my point.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always amazing how this subject (and especially Echols rifles) always ends up in a discussion of the meaning of "worth." Especially when so many Campfire members claim to be firm believers in capitalism, yet apparently don't believe in charging whatever price the market will bear.

If we want to limit everything to "inherent" worth, then a bushel of wheat is worth more than a Holland & Holland shotgun without any ammo, because if things get desperate and we can't trade or sell the H&H we'll starve. But we can eat the wheat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only if it's gluten free wheat...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always amazing how this subject (and especially Echols rifles) always ends up in a discussion of the meaning of "worth." Especially when so many Campfire members claim to be firm believers in capitalism,wil yet apparently don't believe in charging whatever price the market l bear.

If we want to limit everything to "inherent" worth, then a bushel of wheat is worth more than a Holland & Holland shotgun without any ammo, because if things get desperate and we can't trade or sell the H&H we'll starve. But we can eat the wheat.

That is exactly what I have been saying John. His market will bear the price, just as the gentlemen felt the 1963 Ferrari GTO was worth 55 million dollars.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
And how about that hat? His attention to detail on packing my hat was impressive. I just might order a rifle one day. Might have to sell a couple to do so but it would be worth it to me.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

Exactly

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
LOL! You mean you guys tear the tags off your CarHarts before you put them on? wink

Or take the make and model off you vehicles before you drive them? Tape over the maker of your tires so you don't give Firestone (or other) any free advertising that you "paid for"?

And of course we have our smiths machine out the word "Remington" from our rifles too....and tape over that Gold Ring on the Leupolds too,right? smile

Isn't that all advertising that we paid for? Could go on but think I made my point(?)

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/12/15.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob, you're making WAY too much sense here. Lol. laugh

Eric

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Always amazing how this subject (and especially Echols rifles) always ends up in a discussion of the meaning of "worth." Especially when so many Campfire members claim to be firm believers in capitalism, yet apparently don't believe in charging whatever price the market will bear.

My customers sometimes say a gun "isn't worth that much". It's an old argument. But in reality. D'arcy's guns or anyone else's are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them.
I had an Echols gun once. I bought it for a couple hundred bucks IIRC. It was a muzzle loading pistol he made while in gunsmithing school in Colorado. I Got it from an instructor there. Incredibly well made, but that's what it was worth (to me and the seller) and I traded it off for something of equal value @ 30 yers ago.
"Worth" isn't really a very arguable concept, as it's easily established.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Evere handle Miller rifle? They are really very nice....easily as good as any of the London Rigby's or H&H's...probably better. And those cost tens of thousands.

I think it tsquare that showed a picture of matching, or what appeared to be matching, Miller's and they were stunning to say the least. I understand that David makes a "Marksman" model that's bedded in a rather plain laminate stock, or maybe today a McMillan stock, that goes for somewhere in the neighborhood of $35,000 bucks. I think it is built on a classic mod 70 action with a fluted Kreiger barrel with a custom one piece scope base that he makes for each individual rifle. That makes the Echols Legend a bargain I guess. I think we are all on the same page now with regards to "worth" in that what it is worth to the owner. I foolishly entered my part of worth from a standpoint of something that increases in value, as I did with the guy who paid 55 million for the Ferrari GTO. That example of that exotic masterpiece sold for 11.5 million dollars about 5-6 years ago and it was all over the NYC area newspapers that some rich nut paid that much for a "car". If you are lucky, there is one more coming up for auction probably this year that the owner only wants 64 million dollars for. My point ? The guy who bought the example 5-6 years ago for 11.5 million got his monies "worth" without question.

Tamale Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Life is way too short to shoot an ugly gun. In the book "Mastery of Wood and Metal", Miller's rifles are shown. They are really rifles of beauty. The one thing I enjoy about fine rifles is their ability to be used in most circumstances encountered while hunting. I happen to be of a wood and blue mind set, and enjoy finely made rifles with excellent wood and good metalwork. With proper use they work well from Alaska to South America. They develop their own personality over time, and wear they scars proudly. I sound like a "rifle Looney", thanks Mule Deer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep. I remember standing in the grocery store once. I remarked to may wife, "A man's taste in beer stands in direct proportion to his adjusted gross income." There was a fellow standing behind me who laughed and said, "I gotta remember that because it is absolutely true!"

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm thinking wearing a DE hat is akin to all those folks who wear Harley Davidson bling. You know darn well than 95% don't even own a Harely.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Yep. I remember standing in the grocery store once. I remarked to may wife, "A man's taste in beer stands in direct proportion to his adjusted gross income." There was a fellow standing behind me who laughed and said, "I gotta remember that because it is absolutely true!"

Not really I know some with very deep pockets that drink PBR
guess they figure they work hard for their money why spend it on something they will piss out an hour later

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Looked pretty good in Zimbabwe...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is your rifle worth? The real question is, when you are hunting something that can kill and eat you, what is your life worth ?

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well........priceless of course.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

[Linked Image]

I don't care who you are, but that rifle is absolutely beautiful. That is what a true "classic" should look like.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Agree with you. In reality money is not the issue relating to certain products that fetch the highest price possible. Take for example Loveless's knives; collectors just want his knives and pay exorbitant sums of money for them. I have seen a set of very old and used Loveless steak knives that are nothing fancy, but cost several thousands of Dollars. I have also seen some modern Samurai sword (made in recent years), that fetch over a $million, and sometimes several millions.

A lot of us have dreams that later in life, when we can afford it some become a reality. Now, I was thinking about a D'arcy "Legend" rifle in .338WM caliber back when it cost around $5,000, but I took too long and lost my opportunity. Now his rifles are way too expensive smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have to tell you guys D'Arcy takes customer service and a desire to please to extreme levels. I first met D'Arcy years ago through my friend Allen Day (RIP) who owned a few of his rifles. I've never purchased one of them as I'm really not a "plastic" guy, but I did order one of his hats. No big deal.

Not only did I get an order confirmation via email (standard) but a follow-on email from D'arcy asking me how I was and if I had any issues with the hat to return it. Anyhow, I got the hat and like everything he does, I loved it and wrote back to him telling him so and that I tried to order one in moss but they were unavailable in XL (melon head).

I not only received an email from him telling me he was going to send a couple of samples (WITH a refund check to mail them back), but when I expressed confusion with colors, sizes, etc. he CALLED to explain the way he went about selecting a good hat maker and how the regular sized hat would probably fir me fine.

Anyway, THAT my friends is what I call customer service so now you can imagine what he puts into his rifles. I was impressed and as always, he was a pleasure to speak with. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ChetAF
I bought a hat from D'Arcy a while back. It is very well made and I was able to wear the smaller size in the moss color even with a 7.5 hat size.

He charged me several thousand dollars for it, but he threw in a rifle for free, so I was okay with that.

Chet

That's great! Good negotiating there!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I have to tell you guys D'Arcy takes customer service and a desire to please to extreme levels. I first met D'Arcy years ago through my friend Allen Day (RIP) who owned a few of his rifles. I've never purchased one of them as I'm really not a "plastic" guy, but I did order one of his hats. No big deal.

Not only did I get an order confirmation via email (standard) but a follow-on email from D'arcy asking me how I was and if I had any issues with the hat to return it. Anyhow, I got the hat and like everything he does, I loved it and wrote back to him telling him so and that I tried to order one in moss but they were unavailable in XL (melon head).

I not only received an email from him telling me he was going to send a couple of samples (WITH a refund check to mail them back), but when I expressed confusion with colors, sizes, etc. he CALLED to explain the way he went about selecting a good hat maker and how the regular sized hat would probably fir me fine.

Anyway, THAT my friends is what I call customer service so now you can imagine what he puts into his rifles. I was impressed and as always, he was a pleasure to speak with. J

$25 for a hat !?! I can get one just as good for $1.59 at the local FallApart store ! He is obviously overcharging the poor working man! And I bet it wasn't even completely hand made.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Everything in life is relative, Phil...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yeti get $20 for a hat. Any Yeti owners here?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
D'Arcy is nice; is it worth it? In the eye of the beholder.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

385 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 260madman, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 38 invisible), 1,804 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,379
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.