Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcranch Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Just found out that my next duty station is going to be Germany. Last time I was stationed there I didn't get to do any hunting in Europe. Looking forward to changing that in a big way this time!

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guten Tag!

Where are you going? Weisbaden? Graf? Bamberg?

Have fun, send photos!

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Let me know if you need any info about hunting. I got my German Jagdschein in 1998 an have been hunting there and all over Europe since. Have lived the last 9 years in Europe hunting Croatia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Austria, Slovenia, Czech and Germany.

B
bcranch Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am headed to Graf. BuzzB, I will take all of the info I can get. I know that the installation only does the Jagdschein course once a year and I think I am going to miss it for this summer/fall. I was looking at Austria for a hunt in August or September after we get over and settle in. It would be for my 17 yr old son and I. Any recommendations you have would be great.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Bavarian Rod and Gun Club. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bavarian-Rod-and-Gun/198362329035

They will have all the info and connections you need for Graf. They do have their own hunting lease at the training area for its members. I think you have to do a lottery or something to buy in. Let me know what type of game you are interested in for Austria and I can help getting you linked up with my friends or a guide.

I started a Vienna international sportsmens club during my time here, you can check out our page if you like as well:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1456743301253153/

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hunting is expensive in Germany ...you will see , but you can olso try Romania . The trophies are much better here .
If you want something ask for a price ...I'll be glad to help you

B
bcranch Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Buzz, I appreciate the links. I have a couple of friends that have hunted in Austria and said that it was great. First off I would like a chamois and roe deer, son likes mouflon but will love whatever we get to go after. Also, what is the minimum hunting age in Austria?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been watching youtube videos of hunts all over Eastern Europe and Russia. When I lived in Germany in the early 90's A buddy and I planned a trip from Berlin to Istanbul and back. The wall had just come down and it was a whole new world to explore. I was young and ran out of money, etc., etc... The trip never happened and I ended up borrowing train money from another friend, Rolf, to get from Germany back to Amsterdam where I had an open ended ticket to NY on Tower air. I've always regretted not figuring out how to make it happen. Ironically, I'd sold my cherished M70 Lightweight in 30-06. It was my first deer rifle, I used a whole summer's hay bailing earnings to buy it used when I was 14. I regret selling that too.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ton of game in the Hohenfels area. Big hogs too, one was sizing up my Blackhawk like it thought it could take us

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by born_wild
Hunting is expensive in Germany ...you will see , but you can olso try Romania . The trophies are much better here .
If you want something ask for a price ...I'll be glad to help you

Hunting is expensive in Germany until you make a few friends, then doors open.

I got my Jagdschein in 1999 at K-Town through the Landstuhl Rod and Gun Club.

My information is dated, so take with caution. When I left in 2002, the intent was to close nearly all American Rod and Gun clubs in Europe. As I'm tracking now, that has not happened, but the number of clubs and avaibility of hours has been cut back.

Look for other clubs in Germany offering the Jagdschein classes, some other clubs were offering compressed courses over a few weekends when I was there. My class was 120 hours of classroom, field and range instruction with a shooting test, and a 15 page exam. As I recall, we met two nights a week, and one weekend day for 8-12 weeks.

You will also have to carry hunting insurance, one million D-Marks when I was there, no idea what the Euro cost is now. It was $200-300 dollars for a year policy as I recall, and you could not get your license without it, and proof of payment.

As an American hunter, you will need to prove that you can take instructions, listen to the land owner/Forest Meister, and participate in working parties on the hunting areas.

Keep in mind that at least one American in your area before you has ignored the hunt instructions and taken something that they shouldn't have. In my area, Ramstein, an American rotating back to the States had just shot a huge trophey boar during a hunt for weanlings. His response to the land owner, was "So what, I'm leaving!" We had quite a bit of mending to do after that incident.

By participating, and helping with the less fun jobs, you'll open doors within the hunting community. IE, when the landowner decides to cull 2-10 non-trophy animals, they will call you to come help for the cost of the meat processing. Pay your dues in labor and listening, and they will reward you with some darn fine kindness.

Easily one of the most fun hunting experiences that I have had.

Last edited by AH64guy; 03/09/15.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by born_wild
Hunting is expensive in Germany ...you will see , but you can olso try Romania .

I' curios on what facts THAT assessment is based on crazy

The money i've spent on hunting for the past ten years has mostly been for guns, scopes and diesel grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AH64guy

You will also have to carry hunting insurance, one million D-Marks when I was there, no idea what the Euro cost is now. It was $200-300 dollars for a year policy as I recall, and you could not get your license without it, and proof of payment.

Insurance is about € 30 / $ 35 per year.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Hamburg81

That's good then, it was silly expensive when I was there, and very few options in the K-town area that I knew of.

To the OP: don't forget to get your VAT forms for gear purchases.

Last edited by AH64guy; 03/10/15.
Dom Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Hamburg81

Since the early 90's I've never paid much for insurance, i.e., back then 30DM per year. This time around I paid Euro 65- for 3 years, gave me 1.02 Million Personal and 153k Property insurance.

Now the actual Jagdschein, yes that is a bit more, if I remember correctly, it was Euro 190- for 3 years.

The really, really great thing about the Jagdschein is it covers all species, no limits, for the entire country. Can't beat that with a stick cool

Last edited by Dom; 04/02/15.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,730 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,639
Posts18,398,984
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.