Print Thread
Hop To
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I've repaired cracks in an old (1925-ish) Savage stock, and I'm trying to re-point the checkering. I've done this before with some success.

It has the straight line cuts, instead of the diamond point cuts, and the surface layer keeps flaking off when I make the perpendicular cuts. Even starting shallow then trying to go deeper in three or four cuts, I lose the surface material, and I have to start again.

Any trade secrets about rejuvenating the old dry wood, to help it hold the checker lines better?

Last edited by JeffG; 04/02/15.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm not sure what you are describing, but I have had good luck re-pointing old checkering in rather punky wood by first infusing it with watery CA (cyanoacrylate, super glue). In fact it was an old wood turner who taught me that trick, and I thought why not try it with soft checkering too?.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Yup,that's the sorta trick I was looking for, Thanks Gnoahhh!

...what does one "water down" super glue with?

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard people that should know mention the super glue method but I never had to resort to it so didn't comment. Would be my first option. For refreshing old checkering I use a bent triangular file, the kind Brownell's sells for finishing checkering. It takes a smaller bite so less chance to flake out. Is a good bit slower though, but leaves sharp diamonds with well defined valleys on good wood.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I'm kinda retrograde on my own stocks. I tend to sand 'em off and leave it at that. Can't see it makes a difference in handling - just looks - and my stocks get all beat to hell anyway. Figure I'm ahead of the curve when it comes to refinishing as needed.... smile

As long as the thing kills, the handle doesn't matter much. I realize there might be a some different opinions out there, but +/- MOA is my Grail- and fug the rest.

Not that I haven't/won't squander(ed) a whole lot of time on the two nicely figured stocks..... smile Which still get beat all to hell. I gotta do something about my caribou gun- I last refinished the stock in '75- it's checkered, and getting a little ragged....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
There's a product in the marine industry called git-rot/gitrot. It's a thin epoxy that soaks into the wood and hardens.
Same concept as mentioned earlier but different product.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
When I said "watery" CA, I was referring to the regular (not gel) basic CA.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dian
There's a product in the marine industry called git-rot/gitrot. It's a thin epoxy that soaks into the wood and hardens.
Same concept as mentioned earlier but different product.

There are some nasty fungicides and such in the various rot-stablizer epoxies and for that reason I would avoid them for something where dust may be breathed while working.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have used a sanding sealer made of shellac thinned with ammonia. Soaks in to the wood well and doesn't change your color. This is what I use to seal the grain before staining, as well. Be sure to thin it well and let it dry for a few days or it can gum up your checkering tools.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Ammonia? Ammonia is an alkaline and as such will break down shellac. It can also do wonky things to the color of the shellac and can potentially change the color of the wood. Clean your shellac brushes in ammonia if you want but don't thin the shellac with it! Alcohol remains the preferred thinner for shellac, period.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Ammonia? Ammonia is an alkaline and as such will break down shellac. It can also do wonky things to the color of the shellac and can potentially change the color of the wood. Clean your shellac brushes in ammonia if you want but don't thin the shellac with it! Alcohol remains the preferred thinner for shellac, period.

+1!!! WOW!!!

The things you see on the internet!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow, indeed. It has always worked well for me as a sanding sealer. Never colored the wood and allows the shellac to penetrate deep into the wood without the oily after effects of paint thinner. Period.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Used the shellac/Ammonia sealer again today. Damn, it still works......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,574
Posts18,453,925
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.