Print Thread
Hop To
J
jkpq45 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have a Colt Series 80 mk4 1911, government. I'd like a shorter slide I could swap onto this frame.

Questions:

1. They'll mate up and function, just look stupid, right?
2. Does anyone make an aluminum slide (for government, commander, or officer)?
3. Any experience with 400 Cor-Bon on an aluminum frame? Probably not the best idea, but I'm thinkin.

-jkpq45

GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1. Function: Probably not. The dust cover is longer on the Government frame and there are other differences. You would have better luck starting with a Commander frame and adding a Government slide, but even that will probably require a lot of fiddling around.

2. Aluminum slide. Not to my knowledge. Even cast steel slides didn't last.

3. No experience.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your best bet would be to just sell your gun and buy a Commander. There are differences in the Government and Commander frames, so if you went with the shorter slide, modification would have to be made to your Government that would be permanent. A good slide will cost you $200.00 and a decent barrel is at least $100. If you want a properly fitted barrel, then you're looking at $175-$200 for the barrel plus the cost for a gunsmith to fit it. Then there's the cost for the gunsmith to modify your frame. So a conversion from Government to Commander would be in the neighborhood of $500.00 if you want it done right.

Just put your government model up for sale, and you may have to kick in a C note or two for your new Commander. The money saved would pay for a few very fun trips to the range.

.400 Cor Bon looks nice on paper, until you have one. The ammo is VERY expensive and it's not the most fun round to reload. If you like the ballistics, then sell your government and get a 10mm instead of a .45.

J
jkpq45 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I appreciate the ideas. The government model stays as it is my first pistol--they only reason I'm considering 400 Cor-Bon is that I have ammunition, dies and a barrel already.

The goverment vs. commander idea was just that, an idea. Separate from the conversion-ability of calibers.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Slides on quality 1911's are heat treated.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There used to be a source for slides for this conversion that matched up the dust covers to a government frame...I think they were made by Caspian but I don't remember exactly...either Brownells or Caspian.

They will work in 45acp, but the throw is shorter so I don't know if that will work for a 400 Cor-Bon...if you can find a slide.

Also check if you have a ramped or bushing-less barrel.

A lot of guys are shooting 40sw 1911s.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would continue to enjoy the Colt as a 45ACP and sell the 400 Cor-Bon components. Keep life simple.

Or, sell all and get a new Commander .45.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by woods_walker

Or, sell all and get a new Commander .45.

Best plan, or just leave it alone as is & buy the Commander, too.

MM

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Your best bet would be to just sell your gun and buy a Commander. There are differences in the Government and Commander frames, so if you went with the shorter slide, modification would have to be made to your Government that would be permanent. A good slide will cost you $200.00 and a decent barrel is at least $100. If you want a properly fitted barrel, then you're looking at $175-$200 for the barrel plus the cost for a gunsmith to fit it. Then there's the cost for the gunsmith to modify your frame. So a conversion from Government to Commander would be in the neighborhood of $500.00 if you want it done right.

Just put your government model up for sale, and you may have to kick in a C note or two for your new Commander. The money saved would pay for a few very fun trips to the range.

.400 Cor Bon looks nice on paper, until you have one. The ammo is VERY expensive and it's not the most fun round to reload. If you like the ballistics, then sell your government and get a 10mm instead of a .45.

Spot on having done exactly what you desire 20 years ago.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Every 1911 owner should have a 5" government model as well as a lightweight commander, in my opinionated opinion.

smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Every 1911 owner should have a 5" government model as well as a lightweight commander, in my opinionated opinion.

smile

And holsters to fit both. smile Thank you for the endorsement. Request submitted to CFO......

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since the OP already has the barrel, ammo, and dies, I'll tell him to enjoy the experiment.

But make damn sure the bullets don't set back in feeding, after you get them seated, because the fun will then be over.

The interesting thing is, you can load a .400CB down say 135's at subsonic speed, and it will still run fine. It's a fairly neat and inexpensive way to reduce the recoil of a .45 cal 1911. But do your research carefully as there a lot of subtle things about getting the .400 CB to run reliably.

Last edited by tex_n_cal; 04/05/15. Reason: last sentence

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Caspian and Fusion both make high end lightweight alloy and titanium frames. They'll spot weld the channels for prolong wear and custom fit your slide to their frame. I've built half a dozen. I like the officer frame and Commander slide or Gov't slide with long dust covers.

Titanium Frame (Officer's model with long dust covers)
[Linked Image]

Alloy Frame (Officer frame / Commander slide.)
[Linked Image]

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
J
jkpq45 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
OP here. Found the following pistols--anyone know if they've shortened the dust covers on the frames for these? Any idea if they sell the slides separately?

Para Expert Carry
Para Elite Carry
Para Executive Carry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.