Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 4th_point
What shroud?! Like I wrote earlier, take the plastic off and take a pic for us. I'm open to learning but want to see it.

And what does the trigger have to do with anything?

Go down to a dealer that sells T3's and look at them yourself.

Are you going to find a story about a T3 catastrophic event ?

've had Tikkler safeties click "off"... if you're prone to carrying one up the pipe its something to think about. Never had a case or primer let loose in one, but there isn't much in the Tikka design to contain or divert gas.
Bullshit story by someone that never owned a T3, a waste of time.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4th finished his 5th, now he's ranting about 3's....

Again.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 16bore

Again.

Some are slow to learn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mas Tikkuila....

Someone find a wind tunnel or blow smoke down the tube. Lotsa smoke blowers around.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Go down to a dealer that sells T3's and look at them yourself.

Are you going to find a story about a T3 catastrophic event ?

Bullshit story by someone that never owned a T3, a waste of time.

I've owned (5) Tikka T3 rifles in the past and no longer own any.

I asked you "what keeps gas from going down the left raceway", as this has turned into a discussion of rifle "design". You come back with questions about internet stories of blown up rifles and trigger failure. And ramble on about Witherbees. Then you state that gas handling doesn't matter!

All to avoid the question?

Finally you answer, "the shroud". What shroud? The plastic one that you said was cosmetic?!

Come on, tell us what shroud you are referencing.

You're going to dig yourself a hole going 'round and 'round in circles avoiding the question.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am sure the OP really appreciates ALL of this.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Again.

I know you're a Tikkler lover so I understand your frustration.

There are things to like about Tikklers. The single-stack feed is slick, generally very accurate, decent trigger, stiff stock for the price range, etc. Add Warne rings with steel lug and grooved receiver and you've got a decent rifle. Never said they were a bad rifle.

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/07/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do Sako's have the same/similar gas down the left raceway that bothers you thing?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do Sako's have the same/similar gas down the left raceway that bothers you thing?

No idea but have a co-worker that's been having problems with a newer 7RM Sako. When things slow down I'll help him get it dialed-in for medium range... if I can... and have a look.

Tikka gas handling isn't a deal breaker, just something to factor into the overall equation. Denial isn't the same as an informed decision though.

Just finished helping a bud with his 7RM Tikkler last weekend (168 Burger). T3 Lite with 3-9x Viper...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That buddy has been in the dumps over his T3 Tikkler so when we worked up that load and shot it at 490y he was thrilled. He owned that hillside that day grin

IC B3

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I am sure the OP really appreciates ALL of this.

Ha! Well truth be told I'm not sure what to do now. The whole reason for this was that I have a .308 Vanguard of the old type that a friend gave me. He couldn't get it to shoot for chit, and said I could keep it. I cut and recrowned the barrel, as the crown didn't look good. Still didn't shoot. Tried a bunch of different loads without success. I determined I would get it to shoot at least halfway decent, to the point where I didn't feel bad about selling it to someone and send it down the road. Proceeds were to go towards one of the rifles in question.

I decided to try redoing the bedding,even though it looked good. I dug it out with a Dremel, and just for kicks I shot it. It shot better than it had been, by far. So, I dug out the remaining bedding and did a quick bedding job on it. Got home tonight and took it apart. Turns out PAM is not a great release agent. Had no ammo left, but had some Hornady 130's on the bench and some Varget handy, so real quick loaded up 4 rounds. I had a target set up at about 60 yards where I had been shooting it before, and the best it had done was about 2 inches. I fired one, tightened up the action screws and fired a quick 3 shot group, with all bullets touching. Sooo...now I have to get some proper bullets, mount a real scope and see whats what. I even skipped stopping in at the LGS on the way home so I could do some quick testing and verify that it had to be sold. Maybe it'll only shoot so-so with heavier bullets though, and I can still sell it and buy a new rifle...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe that big hole where the bolt release sits will spew off gas......

Gosh.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I actually own one of each- a stainless T3 light in .270, a RAR stainless carbine in .308, and a Vanguard S2 youth carbine in .243.

The Tikka shoots 3 shots under 1" with almost any load. Spare magazines are expensive, and the stock is hollow and noisy in the woods. Great trigger, can adjust pull weight without removing the action from the stock. Inline magazine feeds slick as can be. Comes with rings, but the ring screws are not the best. Lightweight, but has I notice recoil even in .270.

The RAR .308 shot OK as received, but got even better after floating the barrel generously. It has done a 3-shot group around 1/2" at 100 yards. Nice trigger as issued. I'm not crazy about the rotary magazine. As light as it is, full power .308 loads are comfortable to shoot.

The Wby youth carbine has an incredible trigger. I loaded up some 85 gr Sierra hollow points to use this as a lightweight varminter. I did a 3-shot 1/4" group at 100 yards. Full size Vanguards can be on the heavy side.

So, it depends on what you'd like in a hunting rifle.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My 7mm08 Vg S2 weighs 8 lbs 10 Oz with a VX2 3-9X40 and Talley bases. My other rifles weigh 9 plus so I don't think it's that heavy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T3 goes 7#, Talley's 3.5 Leupie
SA Faux Ti 6#12oz, Talley's 6x42
LA 24" 700, Mag, McMillan, Talley's, 6x42 8#

For reference.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My Tikka T3 Superlight 270 Winchester is 6 pounds 11 and a half ounces,unloaded ,Factory Rings ,Leupold VX1 3-9x40.

Loaded with 3 rounds 6 pounds 13 and a half ounces

Loaded with 5 round Magazine,7 pounds one half ounce.

.75 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards with Federal Fusion 130 grain

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe that big hole where the bolt release sits will spew off gas......

Gosh.

Mouser thumb-cut. Add one to your Finnish Tikkler.

Lanche has a Kimber with a milled slot in the left side of the receiver, but for different reasons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bullshit...the plastic "cork" as you call it is just cosmetic. Obviously you have not taken a bolt apart or you would not be spewing this nonsense.

The back of the tikka firing pin assembly fits in the bolt with minimum tolerance, that makes the bolt safer not the plastic shroud.

There is no problem with gas traveling up the leftside bolt rail since there is a precise fit between shroud and the receiver.

Still waiting for you to "spew" the frijoles on this magical shroud. First its cosmetic, then its a safety baffle?

Amazing!

Or, just come back with more insults, assumptions, irrelevant questions, and worthless comments? We're a wealth of information and a class act OEH.

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/08/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you get all skooled up after the 4th or 5th one you bought? Maybe post up some pics of what happened when you blew the bolt shroud off.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The magical shroud saved me every time but I'd be happy to test yours grin

Ditched (2) Tikklers to buy a Kimber and ain't looking back, but recommended the T3 to a couple buds. One of which was the 7RM posted above.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (10Glocks, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 1973cb450, 9 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 695 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,679
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.