Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
I've been kinda looking around for a do-all rifle here lately, and have more or less narrowed the field to the Weatherby Vanguard S2, Ruger American or maybe a Tikka T3. The Tikka wouldn't be in the running as its priced well over the other two, except that I'm pretty sure I saw one on the shelf at the LGS for $619. It was a 7mm-08, which is one of the calibers I'm considering, and I saw it and thought to myself that it was cheap. It didn't really hit me till a day later that it was REALLY cheap.They generally go for over $800 here. The shop is in the process of moving, and won't open till tomorrow so I can't go and see if I'm delusional or if I saw correctly.
The Weatherby I can get for $650, and the Ruger for $500. I'm looking at either a 7/08 or one of the 6.5's. Shot a friends Tikka in 6.5x55 this weekend, and its pretty nice minus the chintzy mag. What would you recommend,and why?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remmie 700 ADL, 7-08, Talley's, Leupie. Save your pennies for a McMillan. Live happily ever after.

Schit really is that simple.

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
No.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Those three...in the order you listed them.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Interesting. Prices being even, what is it that you prefer in the VG 2 over the T3? Seems like a bargain to me too,accuracy guarantee and all that, but it doesn't seem to get nearly the press the Tikka does. Maybe just cause its a bit heavier?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you like the Vanguard, and want a 6.5x55, you can get it in a Howa. It is the same gun, minus a different bolt shroud. Usually cheaper too.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Dre Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I really like my Tikka SS lite.
If you're on a budget, look at the thomson center venture. Very accurate rifle, guarantee MOA. It's a little heavier than the tikka but shooter for sure.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 on the Howa

Last edited by MGunns; 04/05/15.
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
If you like the Vanguard, and want a 6.5x55, you can get it in a Howa. It is the same gun, minus a different bolt shroud. Usually cheaper too.

Good to know, thanks. I didn't realize Howa offered different chambering options than the VG's. I don't know of anyone around here who sells them, but I'll see if I can find one online.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What bullets are you planning to shoot? The Vanguard twist rates are rather unimpressive in most chamberings, so that may affect the decision.

I've really enjoyed the T3 as well as the RAR. The RAR is priced a lot lower and has very similar feel and function.

IC B3

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
What bullets are you planning to shoot? The Vanguard twist rates are rather unimpressive in most chamberings, so that may affect the decision.

I've really enjoyed the T3 as well as the RAR. The RAR is priced a lot lower and has very similar feel and function.

Not sure,never had a 7mm before. Was thinking maybe a 120gr TTSX might be a good all around bullet. Honestly the rifle will probably go on one elk hunt a year, and only get used if I can't get it done with the bow. Other than that, the wife might use it for whitetails a couple times. Heaviest I'd think about shooting would be 140's, can't see a reason to go heavier than that. Haven't checked the twist on them, but would 140's be an issue?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I put a Timney in my RAR and it goes from pounds to what feels like ounces, and anywhere in-between. Timney advertises 1.5 lb, but mine feels much lighter. Still need to get a scale on it.

I've had (5) Tikklers, all had nice trigger except one Super Light. Fired a bud's the other day and it seemed a little on the mooshy side. No comparison to the Timney I have in the RAR.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/05/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nope. Any of those options would shoot most 120-140 gr bullets without issue.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have no experience with the other two, but my Tikka is hands down the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Not finicky either, it just shoots. I would be more interested in the RAR if the stocks weren't so flimsy.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Supposedly Ruger upgraded the stocks sometime this winter to make them stiffer. The forend now has a cross-hatch pattern of reinforcing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I put a Timney in my RAR and it goes from pounds to what feels like ounces, and anywhere in-between. Timney advertises 1.5 lb, but mine feels much lighter. Still need to get a scale on it.

I've had (5) Tikklers, all had nice trigger except one Super Light. Fired a bud's the other day and it seemed a little on the mooshy side. No comparison to the Timney I have in the RAR.

[Linked Image]

I presume that's the Boyds stock on your RAR. Do you have any more photos, like of the whole thing?

Was it a good fit, or need a lot of work?

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

+1. My T3s are twisted right. I bought them before the prices started going up. I would go with a VG on anything not needing fast twist. I have no experience with the RAR, but it would be hard to beat for the $ from what have seen and read.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
The Ruger is a true short action. Every T3 is the same action size.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I presume that's the Boyds stock on your RAR. Do you have any more photos, like of the whole thing?

Was it a good fit, or need a lot of work?

Thanks.

Its the Prairie Hunter. Don't have a pic of the whole thing but you can see more of it below.

It was a little tight on the port side of the channel (might be the rifle), the mag catch needed a washer under it, the catch needed a trim, and the mag stops were more like splinters rather than stops. All easy stuff, and still a good deal for what you get compared to the milk-jug stock.

In hindsight, I should have gotten stippling added as its slick.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You asked for opinions and these folks will tell you what they think...whether it is right for you or not is something only you can decide.

I have owned damn near everything the VG and Tikka. Not the RAR as it felt like a POS. The VG shot great but never felt good and was toward the heavy side. The Tikka is cheap feeling but shoots great and is very light. I fixed the feel by painting the stock with the Tan flat stuf with grit in it. Now it looks, feels and shoots great. Put a good scope on and I'm happy. Pick the one that feels the best to you and spend your money. Good Luck!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

455 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,957
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.