-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Posted this over in the optics forum but thought I'd ask here, as well..

Just got a great deal on a No.1 in 9.3x62. Debated going peep sight but I'm thinking I might want to actually add a bit of weight. My buddy has the FXII 2.5 on his Mauser and I'm really impressed with it.

My question is will it have enough eye relief to overcome the notorious stock crawl of the No.1s? (I fully realize we don't all have the same proportions).

I detest the look of the offset mounts and won't use them. I have a Leupy 3x on my RSI right now with an offset rear (came with the rifle and I'm putting a Skinner Peep on it as soon as the sight arrives) and with the scope all the way to the rear in Ingwe mode smile I still have to lean forward a bit.

The 3x is listed at 3.9" ER and the 2.5 at 4.9". Just wondering if anyone has actually used that combo and how it worked for them. Thanks.

P.S. I'm not doing a variable so don't bother with a recommendation there... wink

P.P.S. do you prefer the wide duplex or heavy for most hunting situations? Obviously, it's not a target rifle...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Dunno about the rest, but the Heavy Duplex is incredibly good for big game situations. I use the HD in probably eighty percent of my big game scopes.

There is NO loss of precision, yet you have instant acquisition of the reticle.

Trust me, you'll love the Heavy Duplex.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, Steve!

Figured that was probably the case and that was the route I was leaning. Just wanted extra input! smile

Hope you had a great Easter.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger offset rings help somewhat with the scope position issues. This is a 1.5-5 VX-3.

[Linked Image]

The Ruger rings are also fairly heavy, which is not a bad thing if you want to add a bit of weight.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Mojohand, leupold states that the eye relief of the fxii 2.5x20 is 4.9" vs. 3.9" of the 3x20. The 3x has significantly more tube length so I believe the gained eye relief with 2.5x20 would be offset by the 3x20's tube length. Now you stated that you have a 3x in extended rings and you have to crawl the stock, so I deduce that you may not be happy with the 2.5x. That's my line of the thinking anyhow hate to see you spend $250 and not have what you want. I haven't owned a 2.5x though so it may work fine on a number 1, but I did buy a new 3x and wasn't thrilled about it on the number 1. I ended up putting a m8 4x28 on it which for some reason seems to be the only scope that works for me on the number 1. Good luck

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I had a 2.5 on my RSI for a few years. It worked well with standard rings and didn't have any issues with eye relief or shooting stuff. I got a good deal on a 1.5-5 and switched it out, then I needed money for a project and foolishly sold the little 2.5. So it goes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mojo, wish I could help with the 2.5, but it is one I haven't tried. I will suggest if it doesn't work, that you look at a 6x36. I have tried 3x, 4x28, 6x42 and a 7.5x, none worked for me without offset rings, but I can get behind the 6x36 comfortably.

Looking forward to your report on the 2.5 and the Skinner.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
J
JEC Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
We have had good luck with Leupold 2.5X Scout and 1.5-4X Scout scopes in standard rings. No stock crawl and plenty of eye relief. Works great for the heavier kicking models.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JEC
We have had good luck with Leupold 2.5X Scout and 1.5-4X Scout scopes in standard rings. No stock crawl and plenty of eye relief. Works great for the heavier kicking models.

Same here! Here's a link to a reply I made on a similar thread explaining how I use the scout scope on my 458 Lott...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...42927/all/Ruger_No_1_big_bores_in_Africa

About 2/3 of the way down (the post with the picture of the Nyala).

I have the standard duplex reticle and am completely happy with it. I think the heavy would have covered a bit too much on my shot at the Waterbuck. As it was, the standard duplex worked perfectly.

Hope this helps,

Stump

Last edited by Stump Buster; 04/13/15.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got the UL 2.5 HD in today and got her mounted in the low Leupy rings (which are about a .10" lower than Ruger lows).

Perfection! smile

No shadowing when I snap shoot and those short, straight tubes look perfect on a No.1 with the AH fore end! Love it!

Can't imagine a better match for this rifle. Will throw up some pics (and of the Skinner on the RSI) when I got time and good weather...

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Eagerly waiting your pictures . I have a sister rifle in 9.3x74r . As well have 2 #1 a 45-70 and a .405 Win with NEGC peeps. Very interested in the Skinner Peep on a #1.

Flyer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always like the way the last versions of the Weaver 2.5X work on the #1s. They hold a better, easier-to-use 'picture' than does the Leu of the same power, and they mount up easily.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 46 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,390
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.